2013 or 2014

Randy S._imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
need some input dislikes likes between two year models have a chance to purchase a 2013 new o miles for $7499.00 know the 13 has five speed and 14 six speed any info would great Thanks.
 
Hi Randy! The choice is up to you. There's no bad choice. The price is certainly good for a new '13 with zero miles and a full warranty.

There's lots of discussion in the forum archives with regard to the '13 vs.'14. It all comes down to personal preferences. I personally, like the looks of the '13, and I have never felt like I needed a 6th gear. That somewhat surprised me since I sometimes search for a 6th on my 5 speed Honda NT.
 
Hi Randy,

I'd have to echo ClassicVW's comments - I prefer the looks of the '13 and haven't felt the need for a 6th gear. That sounds like a good price for a new '13.

There are a number of small changes that differentiate the 2, I think you've just got to determine whether the cost differential is justified by those extra bits.

Best of luck!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It depends on if you are looking at 2014 standard or DLX. If you are looking at standard then it becomes a decision if you want red or a blacked out CB. Both are great bikes. Then there is the budget issue to think about. The price difference between the 13 & 14. Good luck with your shopping.
 
I love my 13, only after I put matching side covers on, sportier mirrors, RLET'S, Corbin seat. The 14 looks great also, if they come out with the 14 in 2015 with spokes, I will buy and not change a thing, but I'm keeping my 13, cause in ten years when they are all sold out, it will be worth ten's of ten's of thousands and thousands of dollars.....
 
I had a 13 and then moved up to a Deluxe 14. So the previous advice from Rick of color, standard versus DLX is spot on - if you are looking at the standard 14 black vs the 13 model, then the 13 is a fantastic buy at this price. The 14 Deluxe is awesome but another $5K over what you are considering and tricky to find. I personally find the sixth gear a big help (but its a matter of riding style) - 6th noticeably reduces the revs about 50mph - cruising at 4k revs is a thing of the past. I also like the DLX four into two exhausts, and the instrumentation is upgraded - onboard computer and gear indicator, instrument switches etc. I am really glad I made the switch up. Having had both it is all about what you intend to do with the bike - if you are weekend fun, in-town commute and riding around the twisty's then the 13 is for you - at these prices its hard to beat (for the $5K saving go and buy an old Harley or Vstar for cruising). However if you regularly drive more than 20 miles at on the interstate at 70mph then the Deluxe or standard 14 is the bike - hands down - knocking those revs down is way more comfortable than 4k revs making you knuckles white after an hour - which is what you get on the 13. However not your typical cruiser - 13 with a windshield is also better than naked on the highway.

I think my 13 was a bit more lively around those twisting bends because of the gearing and the tank while smaller than the DLX, well the tank on the standard looks a little better. I got the 14 because this is such an awesome machine and I intend the keep it for years. That lack of the 6th gear was beginning to drive me nuts (but this is a personal riding preference - I like the engine revs lower when rolling along).

The seat on the 14 dlx is very retro and eye catching. love that.

So net net - 14 Deluxe is awesome - 6th gear most important consideration.

Standard 13 vs standard 14 - take the 13, spend the difference on accessories, extra gear on an after market sprocket or buy and old HD for those cruising moments you find yourself in.

And good luck finding a DLX if thats your choice - I had to search high and low for mine for a while, almost impossible to find until next year.

Given that - I would take the red 13 over the black 14 any day of the week - so whats your color is the big question. Good news is there is not a bad decision here and you will be happy.
 
If you are talking std's then yes you are talking red 5 speed vs black 6 speed with upgraded instumentation.

I had a 13 and traded for a 14 DLX purely on aesthetic reasons. The 6 th gear ratio had nothing to do with it. I loved the look of the chrome head pipes vs the titanium with their discoloring and spotting. I love the symmetry of the 4 into 2 exhaust. I loved the shape of the new larger capacity fuel tank, and the color match frame covering side covers. I love the polished master cylinder covers, top triple tree and passenger grab rails. I loved the look of the chrome bar ends. I loved the look of the silver motor and wheels, and I absolutely love the gear indicator. I can now appreciate the 6 speed, and the fuel computer but those two items were incidental to me buying the 14 Dlx, and I appreciate the look of the metal front sprocket cover, and the new gauge faces on the instruments. Although I don't use it, or haven't had to use it, I also appreciate the fact that the 14 dlx comes standard with ABS which may save me someday..who knows?

One really nice thing about all 3 models... There is not a bad choice among them. All awesome bikes, just a little different.
 
The ferret_imp said:
If you are talking std's then yes you are talking red 5 speed vs black 6 speed with upgraded instumentation.

I had a 13 and traded for a 14 DLX purely on aesthetic reasons. The 6 th gear ratio had nothing to do with it. I loved the look of the chrome head pipes vs the titanium with their discoloring and spotting. I love the symmetry of the 4 into 2 exhaust. I loved the shape of the new larger capacity fuel tank, and the color match frame covering side covers. I love the polished master cylinder covers, top triple tree and passenger grab rails. I loved the look of the chrome bar ends. I loved the look of the silver motor and wheels, and I absolutely love the gear indicator. I can now appreciate the 6 speed, and the fuel computer but those two items were incidental to me buying the 14 Dlx, and I appreciate the look of the metal front sprocket cover, and the new gauge faces on the instruments. Although I don't use it, or haven't had to use it, I also appreciate the fact that the 14 dlx comes standard with ABS which may save me someday..who knows?

One really nice thing about all 3 models... There is not a bad choice among them. All awesome bikes, just a little different.
These are exactly the same reasons that I bought a 2014 DLX , not the sixth gear but the better looks of the bike.
 
I'd add that cruising at 4K (on the '13) is not a problem or issue at all because of the smoothness of the 4 cylinder engine.

I used to think that my NT's engine (2cylinder 700cc) was fairly smooth at 4K until I got the CB. Now the NT feels a little rough.

If, as previously mentioned, you'd have to cough up $5,000 more for a 2014, then it's a no brainier, get the '13, you're probably going to farkle it out for another grand anyway!
 
You can buy a 14 DLX for about $10,500. Especially at this time of year. I wanted the dual exhaust, 6 speed , red side covers and ABS. This will sound arrogant, but how much you spend will be forgotten shortly after you buy the bike you REALLY want. It only hurts for a short time, but you'll be riding the bike for years. And it gets easier if you finance the bike because its not out of your pocket all at once, just a little more each month. Make the decision based on what you want, not how much difference there is in the price.
That said, only you can decide what you want to look at in the garage. Aside from the 6th gear, the bikes are fundamentally the same. They just look a little different. I like two mufflers, someone else likes a single. A good friend told me " I has to be passion ". This is not an analytical decision. Which one turns you on. BUY IT !! Rocket
 
I'm pretty split on the looks of the two years, although I own a '13, bought as a "leftover" after the '14s were already out.
However, saving several thousand $$ on a '13 would be a huge incentive for a lot of folks.
And let's face it, based on the experiences I've read on here from owners of both years, you really can't go wrong either way!
Best of luck on your decision and purchase -
 
I bought a '13 as soon as they hit the showroom floor. When the '14 DLX came out, I really liked the chrome 4 into 2 exhaust, the slightly larger tank and the new side covers. The extra gear and the new instrument gizmos didn't interest me at all. When it came right down to it, I wasn't willing to part with thousands to upgrade to the DLX. Bottom line, the DLX is the bike I'd prefer, but the upgrades aren't worth the premium to me. I'm quite happy riding the '13 for the foreseeable future.

Of course, that's me. You'll find many on this site who thought the DLX was well worth the premium. It's a personal choice.
 
I purposely chose to purchase the '13 if I could find one with ABS. Majority of my riding doesn't demand a 6th gear and I liked the styling. Found a company demo, ABS and heated grips, full warranty and incentives. Had some mileage but didn't bother me. Not many DLX models around here, plenty of non ABS models for sale at full price in our area.

I am pleased with my choice. Research what you want and go get it.
 
Randy,

Have you made a decision?? It's been two day, as motorcyclist we are much more impulsive than that:)

When I bought the 13 there was a few things i disliked, the non matching side covers, large can, black engine. Since changing the side covers, exhaust, seat, tires and gearing i have come to really like the 13 model. I think the gauges are better looking on the 13 esp. the 140 speedo

I have ridden them both and feel the 13 has a lower center of gravity. The 2014 i rode had stock tires so its not fair to compare handling.

When the DLX came out I admittedly liked the looks better, i have changed my mind since then with modifications.

Its really all about the look of the two, don't buy something you'll regret after leaving the dealership.

Good Luck
 
I'm thinking of trading my 2013 CB1100 for a 1979 CB750K. I hear there's a guy on the forum who may be interested.

Seriously, though, what did you decide? (For what it's worth, everyone knows that the 4-1 exhaust is much cooler looking ;) :rofl: )
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I'm thinking of trading my 2013 CB1100 for a 1979 CB750K. I hear there's a guy on the forum who may be interested.

Seriously, though, what did you decide? (For what it's worth, everyone knows that the 4-1 exhaust is much cooler looking ;) :rofl: )
ES,

Seems someone got under your skin:), I too always liked the old 70's Super-Sport 4 into 1 750 & 550 over the K models.
 
LOL maybe someone did...

Still would like to know about Randy S's decision, though. (psst...6th gear is for old people...just sayin')

:excited:
 
The five speed is for not shifting as much. More relaxed ride. Stick it in 5th early and leave it alone. The people in Europe like six speeds because they have high speed autobahns. The "young" Japanese engineers like six speeds. Older people remember 3 speeds, 4 speeds even. So the 5 speed brings back those old days when life was slower. - Keep in mind, there is always the CB1000R. 110HP. Six speeds. High rpms. - As you go faster, your chassis has to be able to cope with the higher speeds, as does your brain. 50 year old brains don't run at 80 mph as well (Not mine anyway! LoL). Sometimes I love a nice 60 mph highway cruise. (many such on my old Nighthawk 750). ABS is nice but heavier. More gas is nice but heavier. (moving my 96 VFR full of gas in the driveway...OY!) Dual exhausts are nice but heavier and truth be told I am not a chrome fan. - The DLX is tuned just a bit "better" than the '13 was. But it's not a deal maker. If I was younger and was getting a loan, or had cash, and liked the DLX, I'd get it. But the '13 was the original idea of an aging engineer who'd ridden everything including race bikes and just wanted a Honda Four that was relaxing, modern and well built.
 
Cool...I must be young at heart :banana:
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
The five speed is for not shifting as much. More relaxed ride. Stick it in 5th early and leave it alone. The people in Europe like six speeds because they have high speed autobahns. The "young" Japanese engineers like six speeds. Older people remember 3 speeds, 4 speeds even. So the 5 speed brings back those old days when life was slower. - Keep in mind, there is always the CB1000R. 110HP. Six speeds. High rpms. - As you go faster, your chassis has to be able to cope with the higher speeds, as does your brain. 50 year old brains don't run at 80 mph as well (Not mine anyway! LoL). Sometimes I love a nice 60 mph highway cruise. (many such on my old Nighthawk 750). ABS is nice but heavier. More gas is nice but heavier. (moving my 96 VFR full of gas in the driveway...OY!) Dual exhausts are nice but heavier and truth be told I am not a chrome fan. - The DLX is tuned just a bit "better" than the '13 was. But it's not a deal maker. If I was younger and was getting a loan, or had cash, and liked the DLX, I'd get it. But the '13 was the original idea of an aging engineer who'd ridden everything including race bikes and just wanted a Honda Four that was relaxing, modern and well built.
That's why I fell in love at first sight with the 13.

Then, the EX (how it is called in Germany) is moving away from this concept to a more baroque style, which I don't like so much. I can remember well the effort of cleaning spokes and the 2 2-1 are heavier and more in the way. However, the larger fuel tank I would like for practical reasons.

I like: form follows function and kiss (keep it simple, stupid).
 
Back
Top