2009 Buell Ulysses - any personal experience

Banned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
A good friend of mine is selling his 2009 Buell Ulysses with only 4500km on it (his father bought it when Buell was shut down and rarely rode it).

I took it for a short test ride and other than vibration at idle I found the power to be very comparable to the CB1100. BUT - I found the Buell entirely more comfortable than my CB1100, it felt like the pegs were about 1" lower and the seat is superior in every way compared to the CB1100. The Buell's suspension was also better.

As it was a back injury that led me looking for a more comfortable bike (I rode for the first time on the weekend since mid-June as my back has been in a serious flare up) I am seriously thinking about buying the Buell and selling my CB.

Anyone out there have personal experience with the Buell Ulysses?
 
I own a 08 Ulysses. Yes, the Buell has better suspension and better handling. It is also much lighter in weight, no valves to adjust, and no chain to deal wither either. Also has electric grips and two electricasl plug-ins for gadgets/heated gear. The Hp to weight ratio is better too. Mine dynoed in at 98 hp. I ride my Buell almost every day; the CB is rarely ridden. I would love to have an 09, or better yet...a 10 model. Only problem I have had is the front engine isolator had to replaced ($125). The Uly purrs with Redline 20w-50 synthetic in both the engine and tranny. If price is right I say go for it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
 
Sorry to divert the thread briefly, but how do you like the Bandit, aschem? They no longer import them to Australia.
 
I just bought it last month and I only have around 175 miles on it. I really like it. Suspension is OK, added fork springs and fork brace which helped the front end in turns. The rear shock is good and brakes are good--but nothing like the CB's. I purchased Hepco Becker pannier mounts and luggage rack and a taller windshield. It is my new "sport-touring" bike.
I like the smoothness of the engine, HP is pretty good, and the torque is excellent. This is probably my last brand-new bike that I will own. The dealer marked it down to $7,100 OTD, In the US, I think they stopped importing in 2011; they brought it back for one year in 2016, and it did not sell in large numbers so they dropped it in 2017.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the info achem, you certainly haven't highlighted any downside. How many miles do you have on yours? The price would be equivalent to $4700usd, I've been looking online but prices seem to be all over the place.

It will hurt me to sell the CB1100 as I still believe it is the best looking bike ever built and while it is definitely an improvement pain wise over my '08 Nighttrain the Buell is that much better. For the most part I gave up form over function years ago, it serves no purpose for things to look good at the expense of comfort or usability.
 
I have roughly 17K on it. I just sold my XB12Stt and I put 12K on it. The XB12ss and Stt are more sporty yet very comfy if you put risers on the bars. One issue some riders had with the Uly was the rear, 2-bearing wheel would go out (wheel bearings). Some riders solved this by purchasing a 2010 3 bearing rear wheel.
I think the air-cooled Buells look awesome, especially the early models.
 
Thread starter
By no means was I trying to insinuate that Buells are ugly, quite the opposite - I love the XB series. When Buell was shut down in Oct '09 I was out of the country, when I got back my local dealer told me they sold their last new 1125CR for $6500 (Cda and US $ were pretty much on par at the time) I told him to find me one but he scoured the country and by that time they were all gone, mostly bought by collectors (like my friend's father) who thought they would be worth big money someday.

I do feel that CB1100 is better looking (I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder), I have it parked in front of my store/restaurant most days and the people that it draws is unbelievable. People from my small town stop by to look at it all time and tourists of all types love it.

I have to go into the city tomorrow so I am going to borrow the Ulysses, it is about an hour round trip not counting whatever city riding I'll do so I'll know when I get back if I am making the switch.

Thanks again for the info aschem.
 
Yeah, the Cb is sexier than the Uly for sure. Suspension settings are very important on the the Buell. Fortunately, the Buell owners manual has the "correct" settings listed based on riders weight.
 
It's a Buell U(g)LY

As a Adventure bike with delusions of off-roading it, it's big and unwieldy in loose gravel (at least as my off road skills go, but I can and have ridden a KTM 990 adv quick off-road). It was a fail as as all purpose adv bike..

That said, if I found one for a good price, I'd buy it.. Everything above is true, but it's a phenomenonal tourer and backroads bike. The one I road was great on exploring back roads that while paved might be rough.. My 990 had more power up top and was more flickable at speed, but the U(g)LY with the torque down low was far easier to use and maybe a bit more fun
 
Forgot to mention that I have a XB12Xt not an X, and I don't do the "Adventure" thing. I basically ride all over E. Idaho and W. WY/N. UT. I've ridden an X, and I believe that the XT handles much better than the X model on back-roads due to the difference in suspension. The XT is also very nice. for two-up riding.
 
Thread starter
Well, it's been a tough decision but I bought the '09 Buell Ulysses XB12XT with 5000km (3000 miles) for $6000cda ($4800usd), no idea if that is good price but he is my best friend and business partner so I'm not about to haggle with him but it seems fair to me.

The Buell is just more comfortable and able to handle the bumpy country roads where I live (frost heaves play havoc in the spring). I was in far less pain after riding yesterday than when I do the same ride on the CB1100. At this point it is all about extending saddle time pretty much regardless of platform.

I love the CB, when I saw it for the first time it was like Honda had peered inside my head to produce the perfect motorcycle. I wish I could keep both but I just simply don't have the room or time for another motorcycle - I work 6 days a week and my garage is full of toys now that barely get used.

So as I promised my wife, for sale:

2014 CB1100A (Canadian) $75,000 or trade for a functioning space suit.
 
Surely it's gone by now. :D

W/R good luck with the new ride. Stick around. It would be good to hear how you go with it.
 
If you keep asking that for it you will be keeping it :rofl:

great plan!
 
If someone comes up with a "functioning" space suit, how will you know unless you go to space? Will it have a money back guarantee, like a parachute? If it doesn't open you get your money back? Just wondering ;)
 
I think you paid a fair price. I have recently seen them go for $6,500 for a mint, super-low mileage unit ito as low as $3,500 for one with lots of miles. Check out http://badweatherbikers.com/ for lots of Buell related stuff. Congrats on your purchase. is it the X or Xt model?
 
Thread starter
I thought $75,000 was a good price for what I consider one the nicest motorcycles ever built, at least that is what it is worth to me!

As for the space suit, hopefully before I die space travel becomes available to the common man, I figured I should prepare for it. If it doesn't work when I get to space a money back guarantee won't really matter will it? (I would place some sort of smiley face here if I knew how)

The bike is mint, has brand new tires and was completely serviced by the local HD shop (same mechanic that does all my HD work, old school guy been at it 30 years), the only thing is it has what I guess is the standard exhaust "rusting" issue. It is the XT model, I'm a sucker for anything that is convertible (I have my Night Train set up the same way with quick detach fairing, bags and tour pak) so I love the design of it.

I will probably hang around here some, at lot less "macho posturing" here than on other sites.
 
Thread starter
Ok, new plan - I can't bring myself to put the CB1100 up for sale so to make room for it I am actually contemplating selling my 1985 Bombardier Iltis (bet you'll have to google that!).
 
No bet. I had to Google it. I guess if I was going to invade Canada I'd buy it!! :) So I could blend in.
 
Back
Top