1979 cb125. Thoughts? Warnings?

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
After visiting the Barber small bore festival I found myself wanting to actually participate, not just spectate next year. I've found a really nice Honda Cb125 near me in fantastic mechanical condition for only 1000. Does anybody own one of these or similar? Thoughts? What should I look out for?

Help me make the best purchase so I can go put all those groms to shame next year.
 
Good little find, nice clean exhaust too, if it was me i would have a good look in the fuel tank and carburettor bowl at this age, some have a drain screw at the bottom, and just because it is clean does not mean the bowl has no issues inside, but you know your way around those things, i imagine.
There could be rust inside the rims too, mine has it, not a biggie but you want to know about it.

Yes, a bike is original only once so someone told me.
 
Thread starter
I intend to keep it original. I have another bike that was real junky when i bought it and it's getting completely chopped up (slowly) but this one i'm not going to do anything at all to other than help it perform better. perhaps new rear shocks. perhaps replace the bars, singals, headlamp ect with cleaner newer parts.

the gas tank in this case seems to be free from rust. I will run a fuel filter just in case. There's a video I was given of it starting and running very cleanly and very well, so that's a good sign. let me see if i can post it.


 
Had an SL 100 with that same motor in the early '70s. Between my brother and I we thrashed it unmercifully trail riding but were unable to break it. Later we converted it to a 100cc motocross bike by adding a cam, re-jetted carb and an open exhaust can. My brother raced it for two years and still the motor survived although the frame and wheels not so much.
I would love to find one in that condition.
 
Thread starter
Theres now another contender in the mix vying for the right to be my small bore...



1969 honda cl175 twin! I didn't think I'd find one of these, and true its exactly twice as expensive as the cb125 but....its a small bore twin. I cant overstate my level of intrigue. Only time will tell which one comes home with me...
 
Thread starter
they look to be about the same from here. both are being ridden daily and in completely functional condition. both have engine patina. both have frame grime. both have fully intact seats and instruments. the CL is just twice the price. but dang it it's just so cool...and 10 years more vintage. great sound too. it roars.
 
CB 125 is missing one of its Rlets
 
It would have to be the 175 for me. It has real character, the 125 is just interestingly "OK".
 
I love these old bikes. I would buy it. I have paid more for some. We need to keep these bikes running, that is what they were made for!
 
Thread starter
michael1954_imp said:
I love these old bikes. I would buy it. I have paid more for some. We need to keep these bikes running, that is what they were made for!
Agreed. But I am by no means a mechanic. I have very few tools and next to no willingness to spend money on tools, as well as a congential allergy to complicated wrenching. Honestly, if you look back through my posts youll see what a disaster it isevery time I pick up a tool.. This is one of the reasons the little cb125 single is still so attractive to me. Theres nothing to it.
 
Back
Top