1977 RD400 latest addition to the Hoard

hondahoarder_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Hey Scoobynut, spent the weekend going through her doing final tweaks, and she is plated, licensed, insured and ready to go. Can't wait to get her out this coming weekend. Just around the neighborhood so far but man what fun!

Preservation not restroation...saving old bikes one ata a time, that's what we're doing buddy!



[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/1977%20Yamaha%20RD400/1977%20Yamaha%20RD400%20005_zpsc15d8kuk.jpg.html]

[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/1977%20Yamaha%20RD400/1977%20Yamaha%20RD400%20004_zpsajfsd1n3.jpg.html]

[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/1977%20Yamaha%20RD400/1977%20Yamaha%20RD400%20007_zpsajwss9nz.jpg.html]
 
What a great motorcycle. So fun. I had its predecessor the RD 350, and my father had it's predecessor the R5C. His got stolen and recovered laying in a ditch in Tennessee out of gas.

At any rate, be careful on it, those have a tendency to unicycle when it comes on the pipe lol
 
Hondahoarder, our bikes are virtual twins. I agree on the preservation not restoration philosophy. The only variance from stock on mine is a set of Euro style low bars (I kept the originals of course), and aftermarket mirrors as one of the originals was missing and the other was a little scraped. I may put some bar end mirrors on the low bars, but in any case, I only do small mods on these old bikes, and never ones that aren't easily reversed bolt-on stuff. A few photos of the sister RD400 for comparison purposes. :thumbsup: It still blows me away that I bought this one for $375!



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo42_zps5d360ffd.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
The more I get to know you the more certain I am that we are cut from the same cloth :-)
Yes Ferret I have already enjoyed the unexpected arrival of the power band kicking in. It will get your attention indeed.
 
Thread starter
I significantly more peppy than the 250 DS7.
Yes Scooby you have to make them you own, bars, pegs, mirrors, but not chopping and hacking I agree.
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Yep, the powerband is a kick. My friend with an RD350 said the 400 has a really nice powerband.
I also owned a "75 RD350...man what a bike! use to blow away my buddy's honda 400 SS with it..what a thrill...oh those were the good "ole days!!
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
Hondahoarder, our bikes are virtual twins. I agree on the preservation not restoration philosophy. The only variance from stock on mine is a set of Euro style low bars (I kept the originals of course), and aftermarket mirrors as one of the originals was missing and the other was a little scraped. I may put some bar end mirrors on the low bars, but in any case, I only do small mods on these old bikes, and never ones that aren't easily reversed bolt-on stuff. A few photos of the sister RD400 for comparison purposes. :thumbsup: It still blows me away that I bought this one for $375!



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/photo42_zps5d360ffd.jpg.html]

It's gorgeous Scoobynut. I used to have a '76 RD400. Thank you for sharing.
 
Back
Top