19 tooth countershaft sprocket

physics-teacher_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm finding a lot of older references to vendors for 19 tooth sprockets but I'm having trouble finding one that is currently producing. They all want you to go down some teeth for crotch rocket acceleration. Any ideas, please?
 
physics-teacher_imp said:
I'm finding a lot of older references to vendors for 19 tooth sprockets but I'm having trouble finding one that is currently producing. They all want you to go down some teeth for crotch rocket acceleration. Any ideas, please?
Many of us 2013 CB1100 owners have converted their front sprocket to a 19T cog and love the results. Here is a link to the company I purchased mine from:

http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=66

PBI Sprockets are quality units and are reasonably priced.
 
Thread starter
Thanks so much. Funny, I could have sworn I tried this site before and did not find the 19 tooth. Maybe they were temporarily out of production? Anyway, I've ordered.
 
physics-teacher_imp said:
Thanks so much. Funny, I could have sworn I tried this site before and did not find the 19 tooth. Maybe they were temporarily out of production? Anyway, I've ordered.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
 
Ron in MO_imp said:
physics-teacher_imp said:
Thanks so much. Funny, I could have sworn I tried this site before and did not find the 19 tooth. Maybe they were temporarily out of production? Anyway, I've ordered.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
Thanks Ron , I will have to pull the cover and count mine because Ferret has given me RPM envy............
plan on a trip to Barber in 5 weeks so I gotta decide.
 
use2b_imp said:
Ron in MO_imp said:
physics-teacher_imp said:
Thanks so much. Funny, I could have sworn I tried this site before and did not find the 19 tooth. Maybe they were temporarily out of production? Anyway, I've ordered.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
Thanks Ron , I will have to pull the cover and count mine because Ferret has given me RPM envy............
plan on a trip to Barber in 5 weeks so I gotta decide.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
Thanks Ron , I will have to pull the cover and count mine because Ferret has given me RPM envy............
plan on a trip to Barber in 5 weeks so I gotta decide.
PT,

Your going to have to trim the chain guide (front) so it doesn't rub against the chain. Take out the bolts put it in a vice and trim it down with a grinder or file.

Here is the link::
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3378&highlight=19+tooth
 
CIP57_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
Ron in MO_imp said:
physics-teacher_imp said:
Thanks so much. Funny, I could have sworn I tried this site before and did not find the 19 tooth. Maybe they were temporarily out of production? Anyway, I've ordered.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
Thanks Ron , I will have to pull the cover and count mine because Ferret has given me RPM envy............
plan on a trip to Barber in 5 weeks so I gotta decide.
My pleasure! Let us know how you like the change in performance.
Thanks Ron , I will have to pull the cover and count mine because Ferret has given me RPM envy............
plan on a trip to Barber in 5 weeks so I gotta decide.
PT,

Your going to have to trim the chain guide (front) so it doesn't rub against the chain. Take out the bolts put it in a vice and trim it down with a grinder or file.

Here is the link::
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3378&highlight=19+tooth
PT / CIP57,

I saw this thread too, but did not have to trim my chain guide and there has been no rubbing. Don't know why mine was different but just an FYI in case.
 
Thread starter
Or maybe I'll take the lazy way and let the chain do the grinding! First to go will be the guard, then the crankcase cover, then half of my left leg! :)
 
physics-teacher_imp said:
Or maybe I'll take the lazy way and let the chain do the grinding! First to go will be the guard, then the crankcase cover, then half of my left leg! :)
LMAO
You'll know when you try to get the cover on and it doesn't seat properly.
 
Thread starter
First impressions of my 19 tooth sprocket. Messier job installing than I'd hoped; I'll have black grease under my fingernails for a long time. It was dirty in there! Low end acceleration does not seem to be affected at all, though this should be impossible. Main thing I notice: the bike seems more relaxed even in lower gears and vibrate less, if that's possible! In top gear, especially, the bike seems to be loafing effortlessly with NO vibration. Of course, some of this can be the expectancy effect: I see what I expected whether it's real or not. I am guessing the main calming effect may be from the fact that the chain now goes around a larger-radius curve with the 19 compared to the 18. As we all know (?) chains don't like going around sharp radius curves and will wear faster because the load is spread over fewer teeth. At the very least, I should be prolonging chain life, and I think the chain is thanking me for increasing its radius of curvature. In sum, I wholeheartedly recommend this mod.
 
Just an update from another thread , I did the 19 front and liked it ..wanted to test the 37 rear to even lower the revs at freeway speeds and ordered from PBI sprockets . The 37T aluminum rear part number is as below


Items
Qty Item # Description Price Each Total
1 3071- 3071- CBR-600F2/F3, CB-900F, CBR-900RR, VTR-1000F, CB-1100.
Aluminum Rear Spkt. Teeth:Aluminum 37
$60.35 $60.3
 
Ron in MO_imp said:
physics-teacher_imp said:
I'm finding a lot of older references to vendors for 19 tooth sprockets but I'm having trouble finding one that is currently producing. They all want you to go down some teeth for crotch rocket acceleration. Any ideas, please?
Many of us 2013 CB1100 owners have converted their front sprocket to a 19T cog and love the results. Here is a link to the company I purchased mine from:

http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=66

PBI Sprockets are quality units and are reasonably priced.
Many of us 2013 CB1100 owners have converted their front sprocket to a 19T cog and love the results. Here is a link to the company I purchased mine from:

http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=66

PBI Sprockets are quality units and are reasonably priced.
The DYI additional information - I had some problems to buy 19 tooth sprocket in EU, so decided to buy the OEM one, and the 19 from Triumph Tiger. My friend has cut both of them on the lathe and then welded all together.
 
Welcome to the forum Marel, although I see you've been lurking for a while.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey marel - welcome to the land of the living.

That is definitely one way to get your 19 teeth - indeed.
I do not have much time to read all topics which might be found here, but I'm still happy to have SC65'13, which I bought few years ago in a mint condition, with only 1.700km on the odometer and use this bike as a third bike in family - when is warm and dry outside :)

That's the short story, I hope not so bored...
GoldOxide_imp said:
Hey marel - welcome to the land of the living.

That is definitely one way to get your 19 teeth - indeed.
You are absolutely right - this way is fast and pretty cheap, but anyone who is going to do this, should find a professional workshop to prepare this sprocket mod.
 
m in sc_imp said:
nice welding and turning to make that work well.
Indeed. You need a tight fit to keep concentricity right and to keep the pinion plane perpendicular to its axis. Any miss alignment will create vibrations and increase fatigue loads.

Also, I'd be a bit concern about the heat-affected area by the weld. It seems far enough from the hardened surface (pinion faces and spline), but perhaps some stress-relieving wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid a fatigue failure.
 
jtopiso_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
nice welding and turning to make that work well.
Indeed. You need a tight fit to keep concentricity right and to keep the pinion plane perpendicular to its axis. Any miss alignment will create vibrations and increase fatigue loads.

Also, I'd be a bit concern about the heat-affected area by the weld. It seems far enough from the hardened surface (pinion faces and spline), but perhaps some stress-relieving wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid a fatigue failure.
Indeed. You need a tight fit to keep concentricity right and to keep the pinion plane perpendicular to its axis. Any miss alignment will create vibrations and increase fatigue loads.

Also, I'd be a bit concern about the heat-affected area by the weld. It seems far enough from the hardened surface (pinion faces and spline), but perhaps some stress-relieving wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid a fatigue failure.
This "invention" was already balanced and seems to be more/less ok - it has a small run-out.
Both sprockets come from the same manufacturer and have the same thickness (and metal alloy?). The inner sprocket was dedicated to SC65, so really I hope will work as should be...
 
Back
Top