187 miles for a steak

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
About a week and a half ago my son put out the call for a "Ribber Run" on Aug 19th. For those unfamiliar, a Ribber Run refers to a motorcycle ride to a restaurant in Portsmouth, Ohio that makes awesome Ribeye Steaks. It's about 100 miles from home, but the food is worth every mile, especially since you have to transverse some of the best curvy roads in southern Ohio to get there and back.

5 Family members on motorcycles, 3 friends on motorcycles, and 3 more family members who don't ride but wanted to follow in a car showed up. Since my brothers new T-120 has developed a non running issue I lent him my CB1100 for the run. He has of course ridden it before, but never for a whole day on a bunch of curvy roads, chasing a bunch of fairly good riders. He came away impressed with the CB.

My son led on his FJ-09, he was followed by friend Casey on a Triumph 675 Street Triple, friend Greg on a CBR250R, Greg's wife Stephanie of a Triumph 675 Street Triple, my brother on my CB1100, cousin Mark on a Triumph T-120 Black, my sons FIL on a Honda ST 1300 and myself on a ST 1300. In the car were my bil, Marks dad, and Marks brother.

some pics

34b7368f7ec4aa73547de975f1a2a5eb.jpg


a5e7edbb19222b1b50c976b746bb2a15.jpg


239e3b4ee1e641af027b36f5fbe553ed.jpg


arriving at the Scioto Ribber

7f5e22fdfe41775fde7265721724a398.jpg


the prize awaiting inside.. a 16 oz ribeye steak cooked over a wood fire, with a baked potato cooked over a wood fire, rolls, and for me applesauce and sweet tea.

006a39052a6fea682d283f96e9245984.jpg


a5e28af670e6d4e7d7ca84155c1d3179.jpg


dab2a15579193b6aad089ca5e13933bf.jpg


d45261a7df45e604e90cfbc0378f4531.jpg


6d923e38bbd3cac7d0109c56d4add1d3.jpg


Next week I am guiding my family Doctor on his KTM 990 for a few days over in SE Ohio and nw West Virginia, and I planned on stopping at The Ribber on our way back home so Doc could experience it. Yea baby. :celebrate:

.
 
Nice!!! Those are some lovely roads and that steak... wow! Good riding and good eats. What's better than that?

You did much better than me today. I rode 231 miles for a chicken fried steak in Buena Vista, CO. It was mediocre at best -- certainly not picture worthy -- and when I came back out to my bike, the side stand was buried deep in the hot asphalt, the bike nearly resting on the foot peg, ready to go over. Yikes.
 
Lookin' good, Mickey! Looks like you could start your own biker gang. Your jacket patch could be a big piece of meat.
f16fe08a499934b61ac84bef11f26a94.png


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Absolute best salsa in the whole world is at the little Mexican joint south side of Buena Vista west side of the highway! Have found nothing better!
 
Los Girasoles? Mmmmm! The one in Salida is good too.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Hey LR we were supposed to go for chicken fried steak at some place you knew when we were out there. Was that the same place?
 
Nope, different route, different town, different place. I was hoping to take you to the River Rock Cafe in Walden, CO, for chicken fried steak. It would have been a 350-400 mile day (Poudre Canyon, Snowy Range Scenic Byway, Willow Creek Pass, Berthoud Pass). Their chicken fried steak is my favorite menu item and was written up in National Geographic Traveler magazine. We couid blast up there and back in 280 miles but the roads I mentioned are worth the effort and extra miles. Next time.
 
Thread starter
Still need to get with you on a ride down there Stichill and show you these roads. Maybe in October?
 
Great looking motorcycle friendly roads and weather. I like that everyone gave the rider ahead of them a big space.

Most of the groups I see are scrunched up and offset. I can't think of a worse way of riding. You are constantly watching the riders in front and behind you, not the road or scenery. If you keep the offset formation you have half a lane to work the corners. Your speed is determined by the lead riders comfort level, not yours.

Been there, did that! Now I am a cranky old gray lone wolf that hates it when someone else is on MY ROAD.
 
In 2015 4 of us rode 300 miles for a hamburger. In-N-Out opened their first restaurant in Medford, Or. It just happened that the address for the restaurant was on the Crater Lake Hwy. Rode down, had a pretty decent burger then on to Shady Cove and stayed in a great 60's vintage courtyard motel. Next day we rode up to Crater Lake and then home.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Still need to get with you on a ride down there Stichill and show you these roads. Maybe in October?
Absolutely, ferret. You're one of those lucky people who carries maps around in your head. I have a good sense of direction and can read maps well enough, but I don't really make a mental map of roads and remember a lot of details about them.

By the way, I did ride 1504 today, both directions back-to-back. That road must have been designed by a motorcycle rider. No decreasing radius or off-camber curves, no surprise changes in direction. Just smooth, fast, banked sweepers. Simply awesome!

f4610eef33b15a49022e92e27b1b835b.jpg
 
Thread starter
Yep absolutely great motorcycle road few people know about. Glad you got to ride it.
Btw I hope you ran 165 too while you were there. 19 to 62 to 1504 to 62 to 165 to 19 makes a heck of a loop
 
The ferret_imp said:
About a week and a half ago my son put out the call for a "Ribber Run" on Aug 19th. For those unfamiliar, a Ribber Run refers to a motorcycle ride to a restaurant in Portsmouth, Ohio that makes awesome Ribeye Steaks. It's about 100 miles from home, but the food is worth every mile, especially since you have to transverse some of the best curvy roads in southern Ohio to get there and back.

5 Family members on motorcycles, 3 friends on motorcycles, and 3 more family members who don't ride but wanted to follow in a car showed up. Since my brothers new T-120 has developed a non running issue I lent him my CB1100 for the run. He has of course ridden it before, but never for a whole day on a bunch of curvy roads, chasing a bunch of fairly good riders. He came away impressed with the CB.

My son led on his FJ-09, he was followed by friend Casey on a Triumph 675 Street Triple, friend Greg on a CBR250R, Greg's wife Stephanie of a Triumph 675 Street Triple, my brother on my CB1100, cousin Mark on a Triumph T-120 Black, my sons FIL on a Honda ST 1300 and myself on a ST 1300. In the car were my bil, Marks dad, and Marks brother.

some pics

34b7368f7ec4aa73547de975f1a2a5eb.jpg


a5e7edbb19222b1b50c976b746bb2a15.jpg


239e3b4ee1e641af027b36f5fbe553ed.jpg


arriving at the Scioto Ribber

7f5e22fdfe41775fde7265721724a398.jpg


the prize awaiting inside.. a 16 oz ribeye steak cooked over a wood fire, with a baked potato cooked over a wood fire, rolls, and for me applesauce and sweet tea.

006a39052a6fea682d283f96e9245984.jpg


a5e28af670e6d4e7d7ca84155c1d3179.jpg


dab2a15579193b6aad089ca5e13933bf.jpg


d45261a7df45e604e90cfbc0378f4531.jpg


6d923e38bbd3cac7d0109c56d4add1d3.jpg


Next week I am guiding my family Doctor on his KTM 990 for a few days over in SE Ohio and nw West Virginia, and I planned on stopping at The Ribber on our way back home so Doc could experience it. Yea baby. :celebrate:

.
So, guess sushi was not an option!
9b455455ada441ecdffb84bdcbb647e1.png


Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Nope no sushi ( bait)

Nortoon, I understand completely. 90 % of the time I ride by myself or with my wife pillion. 5% of the time I ride with my younger brother or son, and 5% of the time I make an exception and ride with a group for a special occasion, like a rally or Ribber Run lol
 
Ferret, I was wondering how you put so many miles on a year. Now I know.

You ride 109% of the time! :rofl:
 
Thread starter
Lol math.. Not my strong suit. i'll fix that. THanks eagle eye.
 
Back
Top