17? wheels...again

Foxcroft007_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I’ve read pretty much every thread on converting to 17” wheels and clearly it is possible. The issue is that I can’t find many options that will fit. I have looked everywhere for cb11 RS wheels but can’t find any used in any country. Is it possible to order these directly from Honda? The front forks are different on ex vs rs so will these even work on the ex?

My reasons for thinking about changing are pretty simple. I’d like to have a little more in the way of tire choices and I do like the peace of mind with a newer style tubeless tire.

Kineo appears to be an option if I want to stay with spokes. They are very expensive but it seems like a relatively painless swap that would retain the stock spoke look.
 
Some years ago I bought 2013 all silver wheels from Mr.T , I am certain that he can get you anything you need for the conversion.
 
I don't know anything about wheels but I believe forum member Chync has Kineo wheels on his CB.

I do know that the RS forks will not fit the EX, I ordered a set by accident.
 
What Houtman said. You will most likely have to order them from Japan and samurider.com is an awesome place to do business with.
 
Another option is a complete GSXR 750 front end conversion. I have just put one together. That gets you 17 inch wheel, but maybe a bit of an extreme solution. Cognito Moto have a stem kit that makes all this work. You'll need stem kit, bearing kit, upper clamp, steering stops (all Cognito Moto), GSXR forks (can reuse GSXR lower clamp but I am not), brakes, wheel, a new ignition, headlight, turn signals, instrumentation and horn.
 
Thread starter
I’ve been following your other post. Really interested in how it turns out. Probably more extreme than I’m thinking. I’m also a little on the safety conscious side so I’m not too interested in doing much of the modification myself. Changing wheels and bearings is one thing but custom gabbing the entire front end is way beyond me.

Also, I have the parts diagram for the cb1100rs and it does appear that the vast majority of the rs wheel parts will fit the ex. I need to do a side by side to see the exact differences. Rear wheel assembly is about 750 and slightly less for the front.
 
I like the way a late model or sport bike front end updates the looks and sometimes the function on an older-style bike. But changing to a GSXR or other front end may bring complications. Measured from axle center to top of the fork tube, my CB1100 measures roughly 31", fairly tall. Most sport bikes are in the 28"-29" range. Combine that with a 1/2" smaller diameter tire and a 100 pound heavier bike and it could reduce ground clearance a couple inches.

It will also steepen the steering angle more, make it harder to put on the centerstand, make it less steady on the sidestand. Plus, the reduced offset on the fork triple clamps makes it steer even quicker, and may reduce turning radius because the forks are closer to hitting the tank. And on and on. Hate to sound so negative, but sometimes modifications don't have the intended results.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I like the way a late model or sport bike front end updates the looks and sometimes the function on an older-style bike. But changing to a GSXR or other front end may bring complications. Measured from axle center to top of the fork tube, my CB1100 measures roughly 31", fairly tall. Most sport bikes are in the 28"-29" range. Combine that with a 1/2" smaller diameter tire and a 100 pound heavier bike and it could reduce ground clearance a couple inches.

It will also steepen the steering angle more, make it harder to put on the centerstand, make it less steady on the sidestand. Plus, the reduced offset on the fork triple clamps makes it steer even quicker, and may reduce turning radius because the forks are closer to hitting the tank. And on and on. Hate to sound so negative, but sometimes modifications don't have the intended results.
We'll see how it turns out. I have a vision and a plan. This was not done without engineering or forethought. Centerstand is in the trash. Sidestand will be cut and rewelded if necessary. Got a lift and a sexy single-sided paddock stand for garage work. Rear end is going to be Monster 1200 (will be here tomorrow!) so the wheel size will match the front. It won't steepen the steering angle as the custom top and bottom clamps have the correct offset by Cognito Moto. I intend to hook up the rear suspension so that the bike sits level. This (GSXR front) is a very common mod for the older CB750 CB1100 and they handle and work superbly well with it. I hope that it will lower the bike some (if it does not, I will). I think two inches is a bit much too. I will let you know once it is all together. Addressing the weight; I weigh 155 which is light compared to the average American. I have replaced or ditched the centerstand, the front and rear mudguards, heavy lights, heavy exhaust, grab rails, seat, seat hoop, instruments and bars. Gotta be 20lb there too (I could weigh everything, but I really don't want to). Negligible weight impact compared to GSXR and Monster with an average size bloke on. Should have the new front end with the original rear end done (well, on and rolling at least) this weekend and I will share some pics. We can take some measurements if you like and see how it actually comes out.

It's not for everyone, but it is for me and that is why I am doing this. I looked hard at the new Z900, the speed triple and the super duke but I didn't really like any of them enough so I decided to build what I wanted. Cheaper (well that was how I sold it to my wife - that may not turn out to be true...) and more rewarding too.
 
Cafe Project, sounds like you've done your homework. I looked at Cognito Moto's site and they look like quality parts. It's a handsome engine and tank to start with, certainly would look a bit beefier with that front end and swingarm setup. Anxious to see pics of the project as it comes along.
 
Back
Top