16 front 45 rear sprockets

jermo47_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have a 2014 and I feel the gearing is too long, especially 1st to 2nd. I was playing with gearing commander and looking around online and found a couple sets, 17/43, 17/45 and a 16/45 and was wondering if anyone has geared down their 2014+ bikes?

95% of my riding (commuting to work) the speed limit is 60 so 3200 rpms in 6th feels like its just lugging it and I find myself in 3rd and 4th gear most of the time, up to 75 mphs, grabbing 5th on occasion as well but rarely do I actually use 6th gear. there will be some trips over to idaho/utah which will have me up in the 90mph range but being that the majority of my riding is local backroads or 60 mph freeway I feel this change would suit me well.

Anyone done this? Anyone know if I would need to get a longer chain? Worried a little about going up 5 in the back but not sure about how much larger it is in reality.

Thanks!
 
I am thinking the same thing with my 2014 Standard. From what I have read here, there is room on the stock chain for up to three additional teeth on the rear sprocket and of course no issue with fitting a smaller front. Some have expressed concern with increased chain wear from a smaller front sprocket but, I'm not to worried about a one tooth drop. There was one poster here that was not happy with the added vibration from the smaller front sprocket but others that had no issue with it. I did run some numbers to see the effect from a percentage of change in ratios basis just to gauge the differences:
Front Rear Ratio Delta
18 40 0%
18 42 +4.76%
18 43 +6.98%
17 40 +5.56%
17 42 +10.05%
17 43 +12.14%

I didn't want to go to radical and am considering adding two teeth to the rear. If that does not get me where I want to be, I can always take the front down a tooth. There are a lot of posts regarding dropping rear and adding front teeth for the 5 speed bikes and a few regarding what we are contemplating. Caddy425 just posted that he was happy with a one tooth drop on the front. Django had thoughts on the same. Beardyweirdy went with 17/43 and loves it. But his bike has many other performance upgrades to go with it.

So, as with everything else, you'll only know when you try it!
 
Thread starter
When i was on gearcommander earlier it looked like 17/45 was nearly the same as 16/43. since it looks like going with a 45 on the back may pose issues, dropping 2 on the front and adding 3 on the back might just get me where i want to be. The cbr1000rr come stock with a 16/42 setup on a 530 chain like ours so I dont think dropping 2 would be too much of an issue, and worst case i wont be able to get the ferrets 20k+ miles out of a chain. Front sprockets are pretty inexpensive though so if im not super happy with the 16 front i can slam a 17 on it and end up at 17/43.

Amazon link to the 17/43 kit:
Amazon.com

the 16 tooth front:
Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF339.16 16T Steel Front Sprocket : Automotive
 
I dropped a tooth on my front sprocket and changed to 17" wheels which had a similar effect to increasing the rear sprocket a little. I absolutely love it. I spend way more time riding twisty mountain roads than I do cruising or interstate riding so I don't mind the extra rom's it takes to cruise at highway speeds. The acceleration increase is definitely noticeable and a lot of fun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
jermo47_imp said:
When i was on gearcommander earlier it looked like 17/45 was nearly the same as 16/43. since it looks like going with a 45 on the back may pose issues, dropping 2 on the front and adding 3 on the back might just get me where i want to be. The cbr1000rr come stock with a 16/42 setup on a 530 chain like ours so I dont think dropping 2 would be too much of an issue, and worst case i wont be able to get the ferrets 20k+ miles out of a chain. Front sprockets are pretty inexpensive though so if im not super happy with the 16 front i can slam a 17 on it and end up at 17/43.

Amazon link to the 17/43 kit:
Amazon.com

the 16 tooth front:
Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF339.16 16T Steel Front Sprocket : Automotive
I was concerned with the sprocket kits on Amazon fitting the 2014. I asked and this is the response.

9d91a9562b70d1df590458920f9cc639.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
Hmmmm, just noticed he said CB1000, not CB1100. I'll ask again. Sorry about that.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
From what i have gathered the wheels and front sprocket are the same between the 2013 and the 2014+. since the wheels are the same, the sprocket made for the 2013 should fit all years. the only thing i would be worried about would be the 2014+ delux with their wire spoke wheels but again, no reason for honda to design a different sprocket mount for the rear wheel there.

I will probably end up going with the 17/43 as it will still fit the stock chain and then pick up a separate 16 front for if i want to drop the gearing further. the 16/43 was right about the same as the 17/45 on gearcommander. When i get these I will let you guys know.

Thanks
 
Thread starter
I ordered the 17 and 43 tooth sprockets and will toss them on either tonight (if they arrive today) or tomorrow night. I went with a 43 in the rear because it looked like the 45 wouldnt fit with the current chain and id rather not have to buy a new chain right now.
 
jermo47_imp said:
I ordered the 17 and 43 tooth sprockets and will toss them on either tonight (if they arrive today) or tomorrow night. I went with a 43 in the rear because it looked like the 45 wouldnt fit with the current chain and id rather not have to buy a new chain right now.
JMo, have you been able to install and ride yet? I'd really like to know it worked out for you. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I got the 17/43 installed last night and went for an initial ride. First impressions are good but I will be putting the bike through about 500 miles today and tomorrow and will give a further appraisal at that point.
Initial impressions are good though. Looks like a 43 on the rear is as large as we can go with the stock chain. Was a tight fit to get the 43 on the stock chain.
 
jermo47_imp said:
I got the 17/43 installed last night and went for an initial ride. First impressions are good but I will be putting the bike through about 500 miles today and tomorrow and will give a further appraisal at that point.
Initial impressions are good though. Looks like a 43 on the rear is as large as we can go with the stock chain. Was a tight fit to get the 43 on the stock chain.
Great, so do you feel a significant change in pull off the line?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I havent really noticed it being faster per say, only timing the 0-60 and 0-100 times before and after can show a difference in acceleration, but I am no longer having to downshift into first for very slow corners which is waht i was really going for. Also I use 5th and 6th gear more often now as 75 puts me close to 4k in 6th. I did about a 200 mile loop yesterday and an 100 mile ride on saturday. saturday was just freeway riding and felt great cruising. Sunday was all curves and twisties and passing cars left and right and in either 3rd or 4th gear i can twist and go until i chicken out before the next corner. I think 4th will hit the governor limit of 112mph but dancing between the 2 gears was a lot of fun running up and down the twisties.

Overally it feels much better to me. If i make any trips to idaho or somewhere ill be driving at 85-100mph for long periods of time, i may change the 43 in the back to the stock 40, but i get lazy so i probably wont and just live with the purr. the 17 in the front will probably never get replaced until it wears out and then i will get another 17. Id recommend trying it out. the sprockets are relatively cheap.

Also, on the stock chain, i cannot see anyone going higher than 43 in the back. it was a bit interesting getting the chain on there with hte 17 up front and 43 in the back but the stock 18 might still be okay with a 43 on the back on the stock chain but id be super sad to try it out and find out it wont work, which was almost what happened with the 17/43 setup i was running as i was trying to get the chain back on there after torquing everything down lol.

Next step, some broomstick handlebars.
 
jermo47_imp said:
I havent really noticed it being faster per say, only timing the 0-60 and 0-100 times before and after can show a difference in acceleration, but I am no longer having to downshift into first for very slow corners which is waht i was really going for. Also I use 5th and 6th gear more often now as 75 puts me close to 4k in 6th. I did about a 200 mile loop yesterday and an 100 mile ride on saturday. saturday was just freeway riding and felt great cruising. Sunday was all curves and twisties and passing cars left and right and in either 3rd or 4th gear i can twist and go until i chicken out before the next corner. I think 4th will hit the governor limit of 112mph but dancing between the 2 gears was a lot of fun running up and down the twisties.

Overally it feels much better to me. If i make any trips to idaho or somewhere ill be driving at 85-100mph for long periods of time, i may change the 43 in the back to the stock 40, but i get lazy so i probably wont and just live with the purr. the 17 in the front will probably never get replaced until it wears out and then i will get another 17. Id recommend trying it out. the sprockets are relatively cheap.

Also, on the stock chain, i cannot see anyone going higher than 43 in the back. it was a bit interesting getting the chain on there with hte 17 up front and 43 in the back but the stock 18 might still be okay with a 43 on the back on the stock chain but id be super sad to try it out and find out it wont work, which was almost what happened with the 17/43 setup i was running as i was trying to get the chain back on there after torquing everything down lol.

Next step, some broomstick handlebars.
Thanks for posting! I think I'll try the 17 in the front. Looks easiest and cheapest. I can always add to the rear if I decide I want to go further.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
I am going to necro this thread, but its okay because i started it.

I moved to florida from washington state a little over a year ago and holy crap the drivers here are bad. that doesnt really have any bearing on changing the sprockets but I ordered a 16 tooth for the front to try out the 16/43 setup. liked the 17/43 im pretty confident the 16/43 will only be more enjoyable but will report more once i get it all installed. waiting on tires right now, the original BT45s (or 54s, i cannot remember) made it 17,000 miles. putting on the angel GTs, so once all thats done (hopefully this week) ill pop on the new 16 tooth sprocket and good hoon around a bit.
 
that sounds intense. I just swapped to a 17/41 from the original 18/40 setup and even that small change was strongly noticable. 16/45 must be almost snatchy.

also, Kudos for getting that many miles out of the original BT45s. i couldn't get more than 8k out of my rear battalax.
 
Wow!!! My OEM front BT 54 was down to the wear bars at 4K. Replaced with same because I like the grip and feedback.
 
Thread starter
I enjoyed the factory BTs but the local shop couldnt get them for the prices I was finding online, and if i get the tires from them its only 15 bucks to mount and balance and they could get the angel GTs for similar to what i can get them online so well try out these tires for a while lol.

The 17/43 was never really a wheelie machine because im pretty heavy at 250 lbs on a 5'10" frame and i have clipons on the bike now so most of my weight when taking off from a start is already more forward than neutral. im sure the 16/43 will be picking up the front wheel all the time as its roughly a 6% additional reduction/6% more torque effectively in those low gears. also means that i will hit the rev limiter before the speed limiter in 3rd gear, where as with the 17/43 i hit 110 mph (in mexico of course) at around 8300ish rpms in 3rd. regardless, as my dad always seems to say "you just cant leave anything alone/stock can you? lol".
 
jermo47_imp said:
I am going to necro this thread, but its okay because i started it.

I moved to florida from washington state a little over a year ago and holy crap the drivers here are bad. that doesnt really have any bearing on changing the sprockets but I ordered a 16 tooth for the front to try out the 16/43 setup. liked the 17/43 im pretty confident the 16/43 will only be more enjoyable but will report more once i get it all installed. waiting on tires right now, the original BT45s (or 54s, i cannot remember) made it 17,000 miles. putting on the angel GTs, so once all thats done (hopefully this week) ill pop on the new 16 tooth sprocket and good hoon around a bit.
In the 80s when we vacationed in Florida near Fort Lauderdale we found the drivers to be bad.

On the freeway everybody speeded. If you left a space between you and the car in front of you, the cars on either side of you would both try to fill it.

At a gas station I had just finished pumping and got into my car. As there was a car in front of me I waited. The lady behind me laid on the horn. I looked back at her and pointed to the car in front of me. She continued honking. I motioned to her to back up so I could move out. She refused and continued honking until the car in front of me and I left.

Back then if you made a turn off Federal onto Commercial there was a railway track half a block away and a red light just beyond that. There are no warning signals or gates at the tracks. As nobody in southern Florida ever leaves a space in traffic, one day the train hit a fuel truck parked on the tracks. The explosion and fire killed a number of people.

The railway put up signs on the charred posts at the side of the road not to stop on the tracks. Despite the deaths, signs and charred posts people still parked on the tracks.

The opposite of the impatient drivers are the elderly in their huge cars: Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. On a quiet side street in Deerfield Beach I watched as a little old lady dawdled along and bumped into a little old man as he waited at a stop light. Both got out of their big expensive cars, looked at them, had a pleasant chat, and drove away.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
jermo47_imp said:
I am going to necro this thread, but its okay because i started it.

I moved to florida from washington state a little over a year ago and holy crap the drivers here are bad. that doesnt really have any bearing on changing the sprockets but I ordered a 16 tooth for the front to try out the 16/43 setup. liked the 17/43 im pretty confident the 16/43 will only be more enjoyable but will report more once i get it all installed. waiting on tires right now, the original BT45s (or 54s, i cannot remember) made it 17,000 miles. putting on the angel GTs, so once all thats done (hopefully this week) ill pop on the new 16 tooth sprocket and good hoon around a bit.
In the 80s when we vacationed in Florida near Fort Lauderdale we found the drivers to be bad.

On the freeway everybody speeded. If you left a space between you and the car in front of you, the cars on either side of you would both try to fill it.

At a gas station I had just finished pumping and got into my car. As there was a car in front of me I waited. The lady behind me laid on the horn. I looked back at her and pointed to the car in front of me. She continued honking. I motioned to her to back up so I could move out. She refused and continued honking until the car in front of me and I left.

Back then if you made a turn off Federal onto Commercial there was a railway track half a block away and a red light just beyond that. There are no warning signals or gates at the tracks. As nobody in southern Florida ever leaves a space in traffic, one day the train hit a fuel truck parked on the tracks. The explosion and fire killed a number of people.

The railway put up signs on the charred posts at the side of the road not to stop on the tracks. Despite the deaths, signs and charred posts people still parked on the tracks.

The opposite of the impatient drivers are the elderly in their huge cars: Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. On a quiet side street in Deerfield Beach I watched as a little old lady dawdled along and bumped into a little old man as he waited at a stop light. Both got out of their big expensive cars, looked at them, had a pleasant chat, and drove away.
In the 80s when we vacationed in Florida near Fort Lauderdale we found the drivers to be bad.

On the freeway everybody speeded. If you left a space between you and the car in front of you, the cars on either side of you would both try to fill it.

At a gas station I had just finished pumping and got into my car. As there was a car in front of me I waited. The lady behind me laid on the horn. I looked back at her and pointed to the car in front of me. She continued honking. I motioned to her to back up so I could move out. She refused and continued honking until the car in front of me and I left.

Back then if you made a turn off Federal onto Commercial there was a railway track half a block away and a red light just beyond that. There are no warning signals or gates at the tracks. As nobody in southern Florida ever leaves a space in traffic, one day the train hit a fuel truck parked on the tracks. The explosion and fire killed a number of people.

The railway put up signs on the charred posts at the side of the road not to stop on the tracks. Despite the deaths, signs and charred posts people still parked on the tracks.

The opposite of the impatient drivers are the elderly in their huge cars: Cadillacs, Lincolns, etc. On a quiet side street in Deerfield Beach I watched as a little old lady dawdled along and bumped into a little old man as he waited at a stop light. Both got out of their big expensive cars, looked at them, had a pleasant chat, and drove away.
Yes its essentially exactly as you described it lol. hasnt changed a bit.
I got the 16 tooth sprocket in, just waiting on the tires. I wanted to see if anyone had the torque specs on the output shaft sprocket for a 2014?
I found my original request for torque specs:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11355

thanks yall!
 
Back
Top