'14 Honda Luggage Rack does not fit the '14 Deluxe

I went ahead and bought the 2014 rack from Samurider. Excellent service from them, and the install of the rack wasn't took difficult once I figured out the Japanese directions. There are two sets of directions, and the one for the "ex" seems to be what we want. It involves replacing the brackets that hold the rear bolts with a beefier one that has two bolts instead of one holding it to the frame.

Installing the Shad SH29 didn't go quite as nicely as I hoped: there was no way to use the 4 holes on the rack and mount the top case in the correct position. I could use 3/4 of the holes, but that left the case too far forward. I ended up drilling two more holes in my brand new Honda rack :(.

The SH29 seems fine, but the mounting annoys me. I selected it based on Spaceman's report, but apparently it fits much better on the 2013 rack than the 2014. Additionally, it's fairly difficult to get the seat on and off, now. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have just ordered the $500 Honda Top Case from Samurider.

Amazingly, though, the SH29 like exactly the right color red to me.
 
berck_imp said:
I went ahead and bought the 2014 rack from Samurider. Excellent service from them, and the install of the rack wasn't took difficult once I figured out the Japanese directions. There are two sets of directions, and the one for the "ex" seems to be what we want. It involves replacing the brackets that hold the rear bolts with a beefier one that has two bolts instead of one holding it to the frame.

Installing the Shad SH29 didn't go quite as nicely as I hoped: there was no way to use the 4 holes on the rack and mount the top case in the correct position. I could use 3/4 of the holes, but that left the case too far forward. I ended up drilling two more holes in my brand new Honda rack :(.

The SH29 seems fine, but the mounting annoys me. I selected it based on Spaceman's report, but apparently it fits much better on the 2013 rack than the 2014. Additionally, it's fairly difficult to get the seat on and off, now. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have just ordered the $500 Honda Top Case from Samurider.

Amazingly, though, the SH29 like exactly the right color red to me.
Please confirm the following for our benefit:

Bike Year:?
Bike Model:?
Rack Model Number:?

Thanks!
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
berck_imp said:
I went ahead and bought the 2014 rack from Samurider. Excellent service from them, and the install of the rack wasn't took difficult once I figured out the Japanese directions. There are two sets of directions, and the one for the "ex" seems to be what we want. It involves replacing the brackets that hold the rear bolts with a beefier one that has two bolts instead of one holding it to the frame.

Installing the Shad SH29 didn't go quite as nicely as I hoped: there was no way to use the 4 holes on the rack and mount the top case in the correct position. I could use 3/4 of the holes, but that left the case too far forward. I ended up drilling two more holes in my brand new Honda rack :(.

The SH29 seems fine, but the mounting annoys me. I selected it based on Spaceman's report, but apparently it fits much better on the 2013 rack than the 2014. Additionally, it's fairly difficult to get the seat on and off, now. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have just ordered the $500 Honda Top Case from Samurider.

Amazingly, though, the SH29 like exactly the right color red to me.
Please confirm the following for our benefit:

Bike Year:?
Bike Model:?
Rack Model Number:?

Thanks!
Pretty sure it's all up there... But it's a 2014 Deluxe, this rack: http://www.samurider.com/?p=18457 part number 08L70-MGC-N40.

I'll try to post pictures tonight.
 
berck_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
berck_imp said:
I went ahead and bought the 2014 rack from Samurider. Excellent service from them, and the install of the rack wasn't took difficult once I figured out the Japanese directions. There are two sets of directions, and the one for the "ex" seems to be what we want. It involves replacing the brackets that hold the rear bolts with a beefier one that has two bolts instead of one holding it to the frame.

Installing the Shad SH29 didn't go quite as nicely as I hoped: there was no way to use the 4 holes on the rack and mount the top case in the correct position. I could use 3/4 of the holes, but that left the case too far forward. I ended up drilling two more holes in my brand new Honda rack :(.

The SH29 seems fine, but the mounting annoys me. I selected it based on Spaceman's report, but apparently it fits much better on the 2013 rack than the 2014. Additionally, it's fairly difficult to get the seat on and off, now. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have just ordered the $500 Honda Top Case from Samurider.

Amazingly, though, the SH29 like exactly the right color red to me.
Please confirm the following for our benefit:

Bike Year:?
Bike Model:?
Rack Model Number:?

Thanks!
Pretty sure it's all up there... But it's a 2014 Deluxe, this rack: http://www.samurider.com/?p=18457 part number 08L70-MGC-N40.

I'll try to post pictures tonight.
Sorry, I don't mean to be redundant, but every bit of accurate info is one step closer to determining which rack will fit the Canadian model.

It would still seem that the '14 Canadian Grab rails are mounted at a more extreme angle than those on the U.S. '14 Deluxe.

Until some brave Canadian is willing to take the risk, my thoughts are that the '13 Rack (P/N: 08L70-MGC-A20) may be what we need to suit the grab rail angle. Our frames look closer to the U.S. '14 Base model and it still uses the '13 Rack (according to the U.S. Honda Site).

Another Issue: Depending on the model, the angle of the grab rail varies, but are the mounting hole centres still the same?
Can anyone confirm the holes centres on both the '13 and '14 Honda Racks?

Thanks
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
berck_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
berck_imp said:
I went ahead and bought the 2014 rack from Samurider. Excellent service from them, and the install of the rack wasn't took difficult once I figured out the Japanese directions. There are two sets of directions, and the one for the "ex" seems to be what we want. It involves replacing the brackets that hold the rear bolts with a beefier one that has two bolts instead of one holding it to the frame.

Installing the Shad SH29 didn't go quite as nicely as I hoped: there was no way to use the 4 holes on the rack and mount the top case in the correct position. I could use 3/4 of the holes, but that left the case too far forward. I ended up drilling two more holes in my brand new Honda rack :(.

The SH29 seems fine, but the mounting annoys me. I selected it based on Spaceman's report, but apparently it fits much better on the 2013 rack than the 2014. Additionally, it's fairly difficult to get the seat on and off, now. Knowing what I know now, I'd probably have just ordered the $500 Honda Top Case from Samurider.

Amazingly, though, the SH29 like exactly the right color red to me.
Please confirm the following for our benefit:

Bike Year:?
Bike Model:?
Rack Model Number:?

Thanks!
Pretty sure it's all up there... But it's a 2014 Deluxe, this rack: http://www.samurider.com/?p=18457 part number 08L70-MGC-N40.

I'll try to post pictures tonight.
Sorry, I don't mean to be redundant, but every bit of accurate info is one step closer to determining which rack will fit the Canadian model.

It would still seem that the '14 Canadian Grab rails are mounted at a more extreme angle than those on the U.S. '14 Deluxe.

Until some brave Canadian is willing to take the risk, my thoughts are that the '13 Rack (P/N: 08L70-MGC-A20) may be what we need to suit the grab rail angle. Our frames look closer to the U.S. '14 Base model and it still uses the '13 Rack (according to the U.S. Honda Site).

Another Issue: Depending on the model, the angle of the grab rail varies, but are the mounting hole centres still the same?
Can anyone confirm the holes centres on both the '13 and '14 Honda Racks?

Thanks
The hole center distance looked the same to me on the 2013 rack and my 2014 deluxe. If they hadn't been, I wouldn't have spent so long trying to make it fit. I think that width is likely different, though. For the "non-EX" models, my 2014 rack included spacers that go on the outside of the grab rail, which were not used for my 2014 deluxe or the "ex" models.

I'm guessing you can stick a 2014 rack on anything earlier, but it will sit at a bit of an angle. You cannot mount the 2013 rack on a 2014 rack without removing the tail light (and I did not confirm that it's actually possible even if you remove the tail light).
I just noticed you wanted actual measurements. I'll attempt to get those for you this evening.
 
Thats one big box! What do you keep in there, a bowling ball! ;)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Thats one big box! What do you keep in there, a bowling ball! ;)
Nah, it's just a small bike:) Thus far, I've kept a tire repair kit and pump, a spare set of gloves, the clear visor for my helmet, and sometimes my phone. I'd have been content with a smaller box, but didn't really see one available. It appears to have been sized to (just barely) hold a full face helmet. My helmet fits, but I don't really put it in there.

The main motivation for the box was that the wife wanted a back rest (We commute on it, 100miles/day.) I figured if I'm going to stick something ugly with a back rest on it, I might as well get some storage out of it, too. I had been using a small tank bag.
 
I like that top box. Looks great! I will be using my CB for everyday riding and trips. Can't have a box to big !! :). Matches good also
 
Gumby, I sent you a private message with the bolt to bolt measurement (185 mm) and angle (10.4 degrees) of the rack mounting bolts. One thing to keep in mind is that the 2014 Deluxe rack comes with a new steel aft mount for the grab rail that may alter the angle compared to stock.
 
RetroSeattle_imp said:
Gumby, I sent you a private message with the bolt to bolt measurement (185 mm) and angle (10.4 degrees) of the rack mounting bolts. One thing to keep in mind is that the 2014 Deluxe rack comes with a new steel aft mount for the grab rail that may alter the angle compared to stock.
Oh, glad you did that, as I totally forgot. The new steel mounts do not change the angle at all. They are identical to the original ones with the exception of a third hole and welded spacer; presumably the change is just for more support. I examined the two pretty closely while I had it apart.
 
Thanks guys for your data and photos!

Based on what you have provided and what I have measured on my 2014 Canadian, I believe the following to be true:

The 2014 Canadian frame seems to be closer, if not identical to, the U.S. 2013 and U.S. 2014 Base model with grab rails at an angle of approximately 15 degrees. The 2014 Rack, which is made for the shallower grab rail angle of the Deluxe (approx. 10 degrees), would hit my tail light.

I just have to decide now whether to go with the Honda or Givi rack. I'm leaning toward the cleaner appearance of the Honda rack...

Issues: Apparently the 2014 rack crowds the stock seat to the point of making removal of the seat difficult. What about those with the 2013 rack? How is seat removal and installation with the 2013 rack on the bike?

2013 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-A20
2014 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-N40
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Thanks guys for your data and photos!

Based on what you have provided and what I have measured on my 2014 Canadian, I believe the following to be true:

The 2014 Canadian frame seems to be closer, if not identical to, the U.S. 2013 and U.S. 2014 Base model with grab rails at an angle of approximately 15 degrees. The 2014 Rack, which is made for the shallower grab rail angle of the Deluxe (approx. 10 degrees), would hit my tail light.

I just have to decide now whether to go with the Honda or Givi rack. I'm leaning toward the cleaner appearance of the Honda rack...

Issues: Apparently the 2014 rack crowds the stock seat to the point of making removal of the seat difficult. What about those with the 2013 rack? How is seat removal and installation with the 2013 rack on the bike?

2013 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-A20
2014 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-N40
To be clear, in my case it's not the rack that makes seat removal difficult, but the top case.
 
berck_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Thanks guys for your data and photos!

Based on what you have provided and what I have measured on my 2014 Canadian, I believe the following to be true:

The 2014 Canadian frame seems to be closer, if not identical to, the U.S. 2013 and U.S. 2014 Base model with grab rails at an angle of approximately 15 degrees. The 2014 Rack, which is made for the shallower grab rail angle of the Deluxe (approx. 10 degrees), would hit my tail light.

I just have to decide now whether to go with the Honda or Givi rack. I'm leaning toward the cleaner appearance of the Honda rack...

Issues: Apparently the 2014 rack crowds the stock seat to the point of making removal of the seat difficult. What about those with the 2013 rack? How is seat removal and installation with the 2013 rack on the bike?

2013 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-A20
2014 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-N40
To be clear, in my case it's not the rack that makes seat removal difficult, but the top case.
My misunderstanding. Now that I look at your third photo again I can see how it is the Shad base plate that is very close to the seat.

I wonder if the GIVI Monolock system base plate would mount any differently?
 
http://www.hondapartsplus.com/pages/Catalog/Product/230217

Here's a great deal on the 2013 Honda rack at $220 U.S., but only if you live in the U.S.

Unfortunately, they will only ship via UPS.
For Canadians, that means at least another $65 in legal shipping charges tacked onto that $220, PLUS another $75 or so in ILLEGAL fees upon delivery that the UPS "brown shirts" add for Duty, Brokerage and another 13% for Canadian taxes.
So much for NAFTA ;)
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
berck_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Thanks guys for your data and photos!

Based on what you have provided and what I have measured on my 2014 Canadian, I believe the following to be true:

The 2014 Canadian frame seems to be closer, if not identical to, the U.S. 2013 and U.S. 2014 Base model with grab rails at an angle of approximately 15 degrees. The 2014 Rack, which is made for the shallower grab rail angle of the Deluxe (approx. 10 degrees), would hit my tail light.

I just have to decide now whether to go with the Honda or Givi rack. I'm leaning toward the cleaner appearance of the Honda rack...

Issues: Apparently the 2014 rack crowds the stock seat to the point of making removal of the seat difficult. What about those with the 2013 rack? How is seat removal and installation with the 2013 rack on the bike?

2013 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-A20
2014 Rack P/N: 08L70-MGC-N40
To be clear, in my case it's not the rack that makes seat removal difficult, but the top case.
My misunderstanding. Now that I look at your third photo again I can see how it is the Shad base plate that is very close to the seat.

I wonder if the GIVI Monolock system base plate would mount any differently?
My misunderstanding. Now that I look at your third photo again I can see how it is the Shad base plate that is very close to the seat.

I wonder if the GIVI Monolock system base plate would mount any differently?
Yeah, I think it's an issue with how the shad plate mounts on the 2014 rack. I could probably make it better with some futzing/custom fabrication, but figured I'd try to live with it like this first. According to Spaceman, the sh-29 fits perfectly on the 2013 rack.
 
Hi, new to the thread and the forum. The Honda top box listed on Samurider has a note that says "*The price included 2014 Honda CB1100 rear carrier. #08L70-MGC-N40 / 23500yen". Can anyone tell me if that is actually as it sounds? Does the rear luggage rack come with the top box? I would be embarrassed to buy two racks:P
Thanks for any help!
 
Back
Top