10w40

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Just curious, who is running 10w-40 in their bikes? I live in FL and it is HOT! I just noticed the owner's manual only mentions 10w-30, but the service manual lists both.

I have always run AMSOIL 10-40 in all my air cooled bikes without issue.
 
I am currently running 10/40 but not by a particular choice, I messed up and grabbed the wrong oil. I'll change it back to 10/30 at the end of Sept or early October.

Don't think there would be an issue with either grade between 32 and 100 degrees.

(let's not turn this into a typical oil fight btw.)

Simple question, lets try and answer it simply and civily.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
End of thread, right?
HA oil threads on the interwebz never end never die
Even after a nuclear event that takes down all of mankind, there will be a pissing match on an oil thread somewhere!

BTW next oil change I am going to Amsoil 10w40. :D
cuz the SERVICE MANUAL says I can
 
Cockroaches, crocodiles and oil threads ... lol
 
Houtman_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Cockroaches, crocodiles and oil threads ... lol
and Keith Richard from the Rolling Stones (the best in the world,I have seen them 16 times!!!)
and Keith Richard from the Rolling Stones

:rofl:
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Just curious, who is running 10w-40 in their bikes? I live in FL and it is HOT! I just noticed the owner's manual only mentions 10w-30, but the service manual lists both.

I have always run AMSOIL 10-40 in all my air cooled bikes without issue.
I'm at 2700 miles and for the first 2 changes I stayed w/ the recommended 10w30 honda. It too gets steamy in the Carolinas and for this last change went w/ the Amsoil 1040 full synthetic and love it. Super smooth and crazy as it sounds feel a performance boost in the sweet spot of 5-7,000 rpms. Read so many good things about full synthetic and especially the Amsoil. I know there are tons of opinions, but this works for me. ride safe!
 
Not really an oil guy but I can find nothing in owners or service manual that states other than 10w-30 oil. Info on Japanese Honda site is same. My only experience in this area is with my T100; use 20w-50 Mobile full syn and works great as far as lubrication goes. Regular oil (dino 10w40) went bad within 500-750 as tested by engine lab. Mazda Miata asks for 5w20. Put in 10w30 and way down goes the milage. Who knows? But it is fun to discuss in a friendly manner!
 
hl9td_imp said:
Not really an oil guy but I can find nothing in owners or service manual that states other than 10w-30 oil. Info on Japanese Honda site is same. My only experience in this area is with my T100; use 20w-50 Mobile full syn and works great as far as lubrication goes. Regular oil (dino 10w40) went bad within 500-750 as tested by engine lab. Mazda Miata asks for 5w20. Put in 10w30 and way down goes the milage. Who knows? But it is fun to discuss in a friendly manner!
service manual, page 3-14.
 
Deanohh:

Thanks saw that. 10w40 in chart for exact same range as 10w30. However, all stated specs are for 10w30. Seems Honda can either type or make charts; our choice!
 
Thread starter
hl9td_imp said:
Not really an oil guy but I can find nothing in owners or service manual that states other than 10w-30 oil. Info on Japanese Honda site is same. My only experience in this area is with my T100; use 20w-50 Mobile full syn and works great as far as lubrication goes. Regular oil (dino 10w40) went bad within 500-750 as tested by engine lab. Mazda Miata asks for 5w20. Put in 10w30 and way down goes the milage. Who knows? But it is fun to discuss in a friendly manner!
Take a look at page 3-14 in the service manual. I'm running with it. Too hot here in sunny FL.. :)
 
Back
Top