10W40 and cold weather

retroman_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi,
I used 10w40 for the 600m oil change since the dealer was out of 10w30 and recommended 10w40 instead. The last couple of times I took the bike out for a spin in mid 40s temp I noticed louder than usual valve clicking (almost small knocks) sound from bottom front right corner of the engine, I also noticed rough idling and jerkiness (RPM fluctuations) during first few minutes or few miles of riding. Once the engine warmed up it was back to it's normal smooth self. Didn't realize that switching to 10w40 would make such a difference in cold temperatures. I don't plan on riding much longer in colder temperatures and thought I'd share this anyway to see if anyone else has any such experience or input.
Thanks,
 
I did the exact same thing, and wouldn't worry about it. Apparently 10/40 is okay by the service manual (even though the owner's manual doesn't mention it), but it should be perfectly fine for most riding. Go back to 10/30 at the 4,000 mile oil change if it makes you more comfortable; that's what I'll do.
 
At start up 10/30 and 10/40 are the same viscosity.....10.
 
I accidentally put 10/40 in at my 4000 service. I have not seen any negative results, or heard any strange noises. When I change it next I'll go back to the 10/30 for winter and spring only because the manual calls for it and I use what the manual calls for in all my Hondas.
 
Once engine reaches operating temperature viscosity will be about the same on multi-viscosity oil.
Here in south Texas I use 10/40 all the time, in winter I just let it warm up abit longer or drive kinda slow for a few blocks...............and besides I don't ride when its really cold.
If you check the oil chart in the Shop Manual you can see 10/30 is good for about 15 to 55F degrees.
 
Quote: in the Shop Manual you can see 10/30 is good for about 15 to 55F degrees.
Here we go again. You will have to tell me how to read this chart because it makes no sense to me. For 10W30 you are saying maximum is 55 F? 85 F would be more like it.

 
meowguy..I think that is saying either 10w30 or 10w40 is good from 15 to 100+ ..but that is just my take on it
 
the chart leaves a lot to be desired.........I suppose they mean to look what temps fall below 10/30 and what falls below 10/40.........so this is telling me Honda people aren't too worried about it. On older CB's they have this chart in Owners Manual and they have specific arrows for each viscosities.
 
The ferret_imp said:
meowguy..I think that is saying either 10w30 or 10w40 is good from 15 to 100+ ..but that is just my take on it
I agree with your take. Sometimes you just have to use common sense.


Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
 
The ferret_imp said:
meowguy..I think that is saying either 10w30 or 10w40 is good from 15 to 100+ ..but that is just my take on it
That chart clears everything up for me...not! :-/
When my 600 mile service came up I needed to change oil in my Concours 14 too, so I got my usual 10W40 Honda oil and changed 'em both, and later I found out that the CB is supposed to have 10W30. Well, I'm leaving it in there and not worrying about it, and when the next oil change comes up I'll use 10W40. :biker:
 
Quote:and when the next oil change comes up I'll use 10W40
And that makes perfect sense. I just posted the chart so that all of my brothers and sisters here on my favorite forum could be just as confused as I was by it. :huh:
 
Back
Top