1000+ mile trip on the CB1100

schwartzkm_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Ride Report

I just got back from a short road trip with my dad and racked up a bit over a 1,000 miles on the bike. While things are fresh in my mind I thought I would cover a few things with the forum.

The seat is horrible. I’m one of those unusual people that have been completely happy with the stock seats on my previous bikes. This will be the first time i’m going to purchase a seat because the stock seat is completely unacceptable.

The engine is very smooth. I come from a history of V-Twins (two harley’s—FXST and XL1200), Parallel twin (Bonneville) and a triple. I never took the triple on a road trip but can’t imagine it being smoother than the I4. I love the engine!

MPG was very good. I use Fuelly to track MPG and do my best try to fill it up to the same spot each and every time. During a stretch from Ennis, TX to Huntsville I wracked up a whopping 59mpg! I was trying to see how good I could get so was cruising at 60-65mpg and drafting behind a semi but that is still insane mpg. I don’t think I dropped out of the 50’s the entire trip and that was even cruising at 70mph for multiple 70+ mile stretches. (The longest I could go was a 100 miles due to the painful seat. I usually ride a 130 and than stop at the next town on all my other trips on my other bikes. The seat was just too painful. I couldn’t imagine using this seat for one of my longer tours…its got to go.)

I rode without a windshield and was just fine. On a cruiser riding at 70mph you would be holding on for dear life due to the feet forward position. It was a non-issue with this bike. I can’t wait to get my new seat so I can see how I feel running a 130+ miles at 70mph to see if I still feel the same. As it was on this trip, the seat was so terrible I couldn’t stand more than an 1 1/2 hours before I had to stop so maybe I might feel different if I increased the distance between stops.

Overall this bike is a real joy to ride. I love the engine and feel the CB1100 is everything I was looking for in the Bonneville but couldn’t find. I loved the Bonnie but the engine—even with all the mods—lacked the top end that this bike has. I do not ride at insane paces and to be honest the Bonnie was just fine but it is nice to roll-on at 70mph and have a lot on tap. I can see this bike staying in my garage a long, long time.
 
Great report. If the bike is new you might want to give the seat some time to break in. I have spent multiple 9 hour days on my 13 and again on my 14, and to me it's as good as any stock seat I have ridden except for a 72 Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado which had an awesome seat.

Then again, the seat just might not suit you in which case there are multiple options to choose from.
 
Ferret is right about the break-in. Mine got pretty tolerable around 2000 miles. (Or else my butt just gave up complaining.) I can go the tankful now without wanting to stand on the pegs. I did just receive an Air Hawk cushion, though, which seems to be the icing on the cake - and a lot less than a seat change. :rolleyes:
 
I just did a 6 hour 200 mile back roads ride today and I have to agree that the seat sucks but then again I've never been on a bike where 6 hours is comfortable. The bike however it's fantastic! I've had Harley touring bikes and a FJR1300 among others and this bike with no windshield is still far better than anything I've owned as far a back roads riding goes.
 
Ditto on the seat. I thought the seat was one of the worst and was going to replace it but it has broken in now and is pretty comfortable. Good for a 400 mile day anyway. Not as good as the seat on my Guzzi Breva though-best stock seat ever.
 
I've got no problem doing 400 miles days on my stock seat. But to be honest this is the only bike I've ridden that kind of distance so I'm curious how much better a new seat could be. I'll prop my feet on my frame sliders and and the pasanger pegs to stretch out at times though.
 
Would have to agree on this possibly being the worse seat I have ever sat on in a motorcycle. I am looking at the Corbin seat for next year.
 
+2 on the AirHawk. Makes all the difference on a long ride.
 
I tried the airhawk and just could not get used to the disconnected feeling, same with the gel pad I bought for a previous bike.
 
My 2013 CB's factory seat I would rate as second worst seat I have owned. In first place would be my last 3 or 4 BMWs!
German torture devices!

The Cozy seat I bought from fredkb is a big improvement.
 
Stealth, I think mine might be the medium cruiser AirHawk.
 
Seats are very personal things. What feels great for one rider is misery for another. I found the seat on my Guzzi Breva the best ever but some on the Guzzi forum thought it the worst. Go figure.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
Interesting. Earlier this month 2200 miles in 7 days for me. No complaints.

Same here for the mens fall trip. 8-9 hours a day every day for a week no complaints. Or my ST on the trip to Cali...5500 miles in 11 days, no complaints while on the ST board some people think the ST seat is a torture devise. Redbirds is right, seats are so personal. I have only sat on Corbins but they feel like boards to me. Yet many people love them. How can a Corbin be comfortable to one and an air hawk be comfortable to another? Polar opposites. Doesn't make sense to me.
 
Back
Top