10,000 mile report

sanoke_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Bought my CB1100 toward the end of October last year and I passed the 10,000 mile mark earlier this week. Thought I'd share my experience so far with this amazing bike.

I've had absolutely no issues with it so far. I do all the maintanence myself so I did the 8,000 mile valve clearance check and everything was fine. I had to change the front tire at about 7,800 miles but I'm still running the original rear. I've not had to adjust the chain yet and the slack is still at the mid-point of the limits. Love those x-ring chains. Added a Corbin seat, handlebar risers, windshield, luggage rack, heated grips, and engine guard. I'm currently getting 60mpg and can easily do 170-180 miles between fill ups.

The bike is a dream to ride. Very smooth and broad power band. Responsive handling and now that I've changed the seat and the handlebar height, a very comfortable all day ride. Definately a keeper!
 
Good report, glad to hear all is running well!

I'm impressed with your fuel consumption, I get about half that (break in) but am working the engine hard to get it to seal the rubber rings or something someone said I should do.
 
This makes me smile. It has been an odd winter here for so many reasons and I had expected to be well over 5K miles by now (picked her up in September) and instead have not cracked 1000 :-( It takes at least a thousand to get properly acquainted with a bike, I think and by 10000 they are like great friends. Hoping that my experience with this bike is as good as yours.
 
Good report. It's pretty much what I expected as all my Honda products have been very reliable. Got mine in late January this year and hope to have 10K on it by fall. The CB is one great motorcycle.
 
ThomWill_imp said:
This makes me smile. It has been an odd winter here for so many reasons and I had expected to be well over 5K miles by now (picked her up in September) and instead have not cracked 1000 :-( It takes at least a thousand to get properly acquainted with a bike, I think and by 10000 they are like great friends. Hoping that my experience with this bike is as good as yours.
Wow, I couldn't agree more. I feel totally shamed by the US riders who knock up thousands of miles in record time. I've owned my bike about a month and covered about 375 on it.

I totally know what you mean about 'dialling in' over thousands of miles.

My CBR600 I rode daily for over 80 miles a day and it became like a favourite slipper (mule) on my feet.

I intend to keep this bike for ever unless I destroy it (see my forthcoming post on my near crash)..
 
sanoke_imp said:
Bought my CB1100 toward the end of October last year and I passed the 10,000 mile mark earlier this week. Thought I'd share my experience so far with this amazing bike.

I've had absolutely no issues with it so far. I do all the maintanence myself so I did the 8,000 mile valve clearance check and everything was fine. I had to change the front tire at about 7,800 miles but I'm still running the original rear. I've not had to adjust the chain yet and the slack is still at the mid-point of the limits. Love those x-ring chains. Added a Corbin seat, handlebar risers, windshield, luggage rack, heated grips, and engine guard. I'm currently getting 60mpg and can easily do 170-180 miles between fill ups.

The bike is a dream to ride. Very smooth and broad power band. Responsive handling and now that I've changed the seat and the handlebar height, a very comfortable all day ride. Definately a keeper!
G'day sanoke,

Glad you feel that way about the bike. A keeper it surely is.

Tortuga is right, you must have a smooth wrist action to get 60mpg. Over 29000kms I have a 43.3mpg average consumption. At 145miles I am really sweating on a fill-up. I think ferret gets good mileage as well. Funny, even after all this time with metrics still have difficulty with "kilometerage". Plain old fuel consumption rolls off better.

Will join you, and others, on this forum in going the self service route. Even a minor service is outrageously expensive at my Honda dealer. There have been other issues as well; not replacing the fuse box cover and leaving it under the seat on the rear guard with a 10mm ring spanner loose in the battery box made me wonder about attention to detail.

Cheers, and keep cranking out those miles.
 
Congrats sanoke, awesome report, and great news about the bike. Am astonished you haven't had to adjust your chain yet.

I put 7000 miles on my 13 before trading it in, same experience as yours except had to adjust my chain once or twice. You are getting better mileage that me, on my 13 I was in the mid 50s. On my 14 it only 50 on the first 2 tanks. Shpuld get better as it breaks in.

About to hit 500 miles on my 14, will do my 600 mile service this weekend.

Looking forward to your 20,000 mile report!
 
See his gas mileage ferret, he rides it real easy. No stretch and high gas mileage. Wish I could control my right wrist and be so gentle. Oh wait no I don't!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I should reach 20,000 miles sooner than later. I'm a tad over 15,400 right now and I just started dating someone that is 115 miles from me soo.....
Let me put it this way....last Sunday I put close to 300 miles on mine (sorry Tortuga :D ) I need to look into a corbin seat me thinks. I was just a little saddle sore at the end of the day.
 
115 miles one way for a date? She must be sumpthin special Randy. :heart:
 
The ferret_imp said:
115 miles one way for a date? She must be sumpthin special Randy. :heart:
I think so. :D I'm going to spend Easter with her as well. ;)
 
Good report Sanoke. Thanks. I'm about to go past 10,000 kms, so I'm not riding as much as you. Not am I getting the mileage! Well done.

Randy, congratulations or something. It must be the blue tank I reckon.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I should reach 20,000 miles sooner than later. I'm a tad over 15,400 right now and I just started dating someone that is 115 miles from me soo.....
Let me put it this way....last Sunday I put close to 300 miles on mine (sorry Tortuga :D ) I need to look into a corbin seat me thinks. I was just a little saddle sore at the end of the day.

Hey, as long as it's just YOU that has a sore arse following one of your weekend visits, it ok. :D
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Congrats sanoke, awesome report, and great news about the bike. Am astonished you haven't had to adjust your chain yet.

I put 7000 miles on my 13 before trading it in, same experience as yours except had to adjust my chain once or twice. You are getting better mileage that me, on my 13 I was in the mid 50s. On my 14 it only 50 on the first 2 tanks. Shpuld get better as it breaks in.

About to hit 500 miles on my 14, will do my 600 mile service this weekend.

Looking forward to your 20,000 mile report!
Several years ago, I found that if I put a dab of Honda Moly 60 spline paste on the sides of the teeth on the rear sprocket, I don't have to adjust the chain between tire changes. I just do that when the teeth get shiney, probably every 500 miles or so. Of course, once the internal roller grease gives out, I have to change the chain. Ususally get about 20,000 miles on a chain.
Elipten_imp said:
See his gas mileage ferret, he rides it real easy. No stretch and high gas mileage. Wish I could control my right wrist and be so gentle. Oh wait no I don't!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Actually, a good 10-15 miles of my daily 100 mile ride are at 80mph but usually, I'm running around 50-55mph. I think that the cut down Plexi-Fairing windshield I have makes a big differance. We'll see what happens when I put my summer windshield on.
 
The windscreen size and type can make a difference as to mileage. When I had my ST1300 you could watch the mileage figure go down as you raised the electric windscreen. As much as 5 mpg.
 
Sanoke, 60 MPG is incredible, I haven't yet achieved this number, 55 MPG is the max I can manage. I have almost 10K just find out, it is how much I ride my previous 4 bikes!!

I can say my bike is fully broken in, engine is smoother than it was at 5K. I love riding it at low speed on empty road, tires stick like glue, suspension is very good, the bike fits me like glove. I like almost everything about this bike, it is a keeper.
 
Hey Randy - that new love interest better not cut in to your riding time with your Bay Area CB buddies.... Just kidding.
 
Lol.....if she does.....it's your loss. :D
 
Back
Top