GoldOxide_imp
Road warrior
The reason Europe runs 220-240V is to double the voltage and halve the amperage, so the wire gauge can be smaller / cheaper. Smart in some ways, though I'm not a fan of the huge, awkward isolating plug/receptacle standards.Stichill_imp said:The reason Europe runs 220-240V is to double the voltage and halve the amperage, so the wire gauge can be smaller / cheaper. Smart in some ways, though I'm not a fan of the huge, awkward isolating plug/receptacle standards.Gone in 60_imp said:I was thinking about that, Tev. So, you guys don't have to upgrade your household electrics to charge EVs, right?
So, although the voltage is double, the circuit ampacity is half...so kVA is about equal.
US: 120V * 20A * 80% safety derating = 1.92 kVA
EU: 240V * 10A * 80% safety derating = 1.92 kVA
So, although the voltage is double, the circuit ampacity is half...so kVA is about equal.
US: 120V * 20A * 80% safety derating = 1.92 kVA
EU: 240V * 10A * 80% safety derating = 1.92 kVA
Mmmm, give me more coulombs per second - I'd say.