your trailer experience

j3gq_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I have used a similar trailer (photo) for years, for a lighter motorcycle. With a little bit of "gettin' used to" one could even load and unload the m/c alone and without any help.
Yet, I have a little bit of a doubt whether to buy such a trailer for the CB, and whether this can be done by one man alone. Of course the motor will help to push her up on the trailer, and I can strap her down tightly. But it's still a heavy motorcycle and I wonder if she will lean more and more during the ride.

Any experience you could share ? would a platform trailer with a firm lock-down device for the front wheel be the better choice since it allows you to make use of the side stand ?
 
I use a product called "Canyon Dancer" (yes a weird name) to strap any street bike that I transport on a trailer. It's a really innovative design that works extremely well.
 
A trailer with a ramp full width allows you to get your feet down while loading and unloading . Wheel chocks are must have piece of hardware. Do not trailer with the side stand! Chocks that lock the front wheel in work good, just ride on lock in,get off then use good quality ratchet straps . I usually use soft ties on the triple tree to attach the ratchet straps to. At the rear the shock is a good place to anchor to. I have trailered 5000 miles this way, once set up , check after about 20 miles to adjust straps as needed.
 
So I'm new to the trailer game, but locking chocks are key. I do not ride my CB onto my trailer, but I can roll it on pretty easily myself. I prefer, though, to have a partner help me. I may get brave sometime, but for now, I'll stick to the 2 people-push method.

I use ratchet tie downs, but I'm switching to a cam buckle tie-downs because they will work better on my smaller trailer and with the locking (or cam) chocks.

a085a3ef17f7618539f7c9d8491f8340.jpg


acdd1f9584bd6c5eba3551370055e46d.jpg


8ee616a668b767580275ec0385e0fbd1.jpg


You can ignore how I tied them down for these pics. The method worked, but I ultimately decided on 4 straps/bike all strapped to "unsprung" parts and all pulling the bike forward into the chock. Neither bike moved at all during their 1800 miles of travel.

The cam buckle straps will eliminate the need for me to run the straps under the trailer frame to a tie-down point. the ratchet half of the straps is too long for the trailer so my only choice would be to add mounting points to the trailer. Getting new straps seems easier.

Good luck.
 
MTC where did you find the seat cover for the speedmaster ? I have the same bike but am having a issue finding that cover for it . Thanks Mark.
 
I have a 5 by 8 trailer and years ago I put 12 eye bolts on the sides two on the front and back and 4 on each side. Much easier to put the straps on , also I use the Baxley LA Chock for easy loading for just one person.
 
I've got a 7 X 10ft with aluminum ramps. you can ride onto the trailer and catch the front wheel in Condor locking chocks. I had this trailer custom made and has tie down points all round the perimeter.
 
If I haul a heavy bike I get the trailer from U-Haul. At 20 a day to rent you cannot go wrong. Plus you do not need to store it.

But for lighter bikes I use a Moto-Tote. I have had this for over 25 years and have hauled so many bikes on it. Basically I love this thing.

That is my trailer experience! LOL!
 
I've put the CB on my dirt bike trailer and few times, single bine trailer, one-wheel width ramp. I can't say I've had any issues I rolled up nicely in first gear. The clearance was very tight when going over the ridge coming off the trailer so I needed to pull the bike up a little, it was millimeters literally. You should be fine with that trailer on the pic

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I don't need one often enough, and have nowhere to put it, to own one, but I have rented a U-Haul trailer several times. They have built-in wheel chocks and full-width ramps so you can ride it up and on. They only cost $15/day.
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I don't need one often enough, and have nowhere to put it, to own one, but I have rented a U-Haul trailer several times. They have built-in wheel chocks and full-width ramps so you can ride it up and on. They only cost $15/day.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers?
 
clearviewx_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I don't need one often enough, and have nowhere to put it, to own one, but I have rented a U-Haul trailer several times. They have built-in wheel chocks and full-width ramps so you can ride it up and on. They only cost $15/day.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers?
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul.....
 
Houtman_imp said:
clearviewx_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I don't need one often enough, and have nowhere to put it, to own one, but I have rented a U-Haul trailer several times. They have built-in wheel chocks and full-width ramps so you can ride it up and on. They only cost $15/day.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers?
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul.....
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul..... My experience with the U-Haul bike trailers is that they charge by the day, not mileage. $15 a day is a bargain for such an easy to use trailer. Only thing is, it has to be returned to the same location.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
clearviewx_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I don't need one often enough, and have nowhere to put it, to own one, but I have rented a U-Haul trailer several times. They have built-in wheel chocks and full-width ramps so you can ride it up and on. They only cost $15/day.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers?
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul.....
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul..... My experience with the U-Haul bike trailers is that they charge by the day, not mileage. $15 a day is a bargain for such an easy to use trailer. Only thing is, it has to be returned to the same location.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul..... My experience with the U-Haul bike trailers is that they charge by the day, not mileage. $15 a day is a bargain for such an easy to use trailer. Only thing is, it has to be returned to the same location.
I as only kidding about the mileage counter on the trailer !
 
I’m sure most of you have seen ‘loading/unloading fail’ videos on YouTube. It’s amazing what some folks do, thinking things will be ok, and it backfires. The small U-Haul trailers with the wheel chock are great, and cheap to rent if you’re space limited.
 
Houtman_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
clearviewx_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I don't need one often enough, and have nowhere to put it, to own one, but I have rented a U-Haul trailer several times. They have built-in wheel chocks and full-width ramps so you can ride it up and on. They only cost $15/day.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers?
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul.....
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul..... My experience with the U-Haul bike trailers is that they charge by the day, not mileage. $15 a day is a bargain for such an easy to use trailer. Only thing is, it has to be returned to the same location.
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul..... My experience with the U-Haul bike trailers is that they charge by the day, not mileage. $15 a day is a bargain for such an easy to use trailer. Only thing is, it has to be returned to the same location.
I as only kidding about the mileage counter on the trailer !
Stupid question, but do they charge a mileage on trailers? They do , but I always disconnect the mileage counter on the trailer when I rent a trailer from U Haul..... My experience with the U-Haul bike trailers is that they charge by the day, not mileage. $15 a day is a bargain for such an easy to use trailer. Only thing is, it has to be returned to the same location.
I as only kidding about the mileage counter on the trailer !
My trailer rentals were local, but I suppose they could very easily put GPS trackers on them....... or do they already do that.......hmmm.:angel:
 
Back
Top