Young Guth's MX Archives Vol. 1 St. Peters, MO 1978

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
With the coronavirus outbreak having a substantial impact here on the west coast as well as all over the world, I find myself along with my family in stay-at-home mode. Supercross 2020 from Indianapolis was supposed to be on the tube today, but this event along with a number of others in the series has been cancelled due to, yes — the coronavirus outbreak.

With that in mind, I thought I would dig into my own personal "vault" of Pro Motocross history here in the United States. These images, never before seen by the general public are sure to fill your days (hours?, minutes?, wait — were you really getting ready to click that CB1100 Forum Banner to head elsewhere just now ?!) with a fun-filled nostalgic ride through the golden era of motocross in this country (well, golden for me, your mileage might vary).

For Volume 1 (this is not to imply there will be any other volumes to follow) we take a look back to 1978. In June of that year, Cycle World USA in St. Peters, Missouri was hosting a round of the 250 class Nationals as well as a round of the 500 class Nationals. As an avid fan at the age of 16 I was beyond excited when I learned that the motel my parents had booked for a couple of nights for our trip to see the races was actually serving as the race headquarters. This provided my brother and I with ample opportunities to be all-around pests the entire day before the race was to be held. Truth be told, I don't recall a single racer being anything but accessible and nice to the few fans that happened to be there that entire day. My only regret is that I did not own a better camera at the time. I was particularly ill-suited to capturing race action images. But while the image quality is poor, the fairly static subjects at race headquarters allowed me to grab some memorable (for me) images.

42baa03970c0f713a7ad1aae08c88a9d.jpg

Race Headquarters: The St. Charles' Howard Johnsons

It's early in the A.M. as I write this. I'm taking a break from this thread for now, but plan to fill in more details later just in case there are any other older motocross fans out there other than myself and the ferret.
 
Thread starter
74f7c015a28d8d6c3ed0df59d65f00ac.jpg

Marty Smith's Honda RC500(s)

ef270fd6cc60abd4ec431b2cd9e198fe.jpg

Tommy Croft's Honda RC500

95416545d4eb1cb923d3ab198af843a0.jpg

Jim Pomeroy's Honda 250

372f5c5163efb58bb8ce6e0c3ef0978c.jpg

Bob Hannah's OW26 Yamaha 250

c9632beb64c1bad20867e751c7c04d4c.jpg

Tony DiStefano's Big Suzuki

5115c75bbc8b4bd74cf84fe73ab6ea8d.jpg

More Suzuki's
 
Thread starter
07ee6d3ea0fcedfa9336aea2f32ae048.jpg

Gaylon Mosier's Maico 400

9debb0b07ccd473571d5181cf3f177bb.jpg

?Jimmy Ellis'? Can-AM

54460ce45870c02fd6ad043773032834.jpg

Bultaco Pursang

bf0476e2078c26819f0032ccd9311d01.jpg

Checking out the factory Harley Davidson 250's

084086d980c94e089710a9cd58c8fba9.jpg

Team Moto-X-Fox Suzuki
 
Thread starter
e1aa7ce7cca670fdf5a5ff3a0c9efe35.jpg

Your faithful correspondent, young Guth with Marty Smith

e48b44a98eda50489c593d0636ae5cea.jpg

Young Guth with Tony DiStefano

4d22d1ac767205725212a4d11e8034fb.jpg

Young Guth with Jim Pomeroy

ea9bd26ef4dd7f20f05fab3afe8662be.jpg

Young Guth with Kent Howerton

e920c552896e71862839b55c5a49f6f1.jpg

Tommy Croft signing an autograph

f55c9fffbedc7ec6a3dacc94739dc846.jpg

Last, but not least — Bob "Hurricane" Hannah, who stopped bunny-hopping people with this BMX bike inside of the motel long enough so that I could grab a photo.
 
Guth: The images are really interesting. Anything depicting humanity engaging what they enjoy is enjoyed, especially from long years past.

There are also artifacts in the background that most viewers can lament around.
 
awesome to see the old MXers again.

BTW Guth have you seen the MX files on youtube?

Just type in MX files

Sample: Bob Hannah

 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
Oh my...cool looking motorccyles aside for a moment...the cut-off shorts, the bell-bottom pants, the hair!, the long white tube socks that cover the calf, the mustaches...and a young Guth. Very fun.

I had to compare a young Guth with the older version and went back to a Portland, OR area ride from a few years back:

Click here to see a more mature Guth.

Thanks for posting those memories.

Egads. This is almost like one of those old Disney switcharoo movies. While simultaneously flipping up the kickstand and hitting the start switch on his CB1100 Guth suddenly found himself transported back in time...

The Motorcyclist That Wore Bellbottoms
 
Great pictures, Guth.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Awesome pics, thanks!

I have similar pics from Laguna Seca circa 1979-1980 (Kenny Roberts, Freddie Spencer, etc).
That's fantastic. I'm sure that I am not the only one who wouldn't mind seeing them. Do you happen to have any way to scan & post them?
 
Back
Top