You know what I love?

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
You know that chill you get up your spine when you look in the mirror and a lit-up Highway Patrol car is coming up behind you? You start thinking "Oh man, what did I do?"

Other than an open rest stop on I-10 after 200 miles, I don't think there is any greater feeling of relief as when that car swings around you and you realize that you weren't the target. Just felt that relief on the way in this morning. He was behind me on a metered freeway onramp which was moving pretty slowly, no room to pull over, so the agony was palpable.

He was moving with quite a purpose to get on the freeway, apparently to provide some backup to the white CHP car on the shoulder. Must be one heck of a beligerent HOV violator in that grey Honda.
 
For me it's that moment when your lane starts hard braking and you check your mirrors and it's clean and you bank right and carry on with your life without touching your brakes.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
You know that chill you get up your spine when you look in the mirror and a lit-up Highway Patrol car is coming up behind you? You start thinking "Oh man, what did I do?"

Other than an open rest stop on I-10 after 200 miles, I don't think there is any greater feeling of relief as when that car swings around you and you realize that you weren't the target. Just felt that relief on the way in this morning. He was behind me on a metered freeway onramp which was moving pretty slowly, no room to pull over, so the agony was palpable.

He was moving with quite a purpose to get on the freeway, apparently to provide some backup to the white CHP car on the shoulder. Must be one heck of a beligerent HOV violator in that grey Honda.
But have you ever had two (2) patrol cruisers in tandem up your butt with sirens and a loud speaker shouting at you to pull over?

Perhaps my proudest pull-over in my riding career.

Upon stopping, I looked in my left mirror to see the first patrol car waving back to have the second car cover them. :s (like, sheez!)

At the time I did not like the way to officer approached me with one arm on his hip. It was surreal. Was it my motorcycle super-dark tinted windows or sumthin'?
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
For me it's that moment when your lane starts hard braking and you check your mirrors and it's clean and you bank right and carry on with your life without touching your brakes.
I can relate to that... I like it when I'm on the freeway and come up on stopped traffic on either side of me, and I just slow down a bit and slice between the traffic.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
You know that chill you get up your spine when you look in the mirror and a lit-up Highway Patrol car is coming up behind you? You start thinking "Oh man, what did I do?"

Other than an open rest stop on I-10 after 200 miles, I don't think there is any greater feeling of relief as when that car swings around you and you realize that you weren't the target. Just felt that relief on the way in this morning. He was behind me on a metered freeway onramp which was moving pretty slowly, no room to pull over, so the agony was palpable.

He was moving with quite a purpose to get on the freeway, apparently to provide some backup to the white CHP car on the shoulder. Must be one heck of a beligerent HOV violator in that grey Honda.
But have you ever had two (2) patrol cruisers in tandem up your butt with sirens and a loud speaker shouting at you to pull over?

Perhaps my proudest pull-over in my riding career.

Upon stopping, I looked in my left mirror to see the first patrol car waving back to have the second car cover them. :s (like, sheez!)

At the time I did not like the way to officer approached me with one arm on his hip. It was surreal. Was it my motorcycle super-dark tinted windows or sumthin'?
I can honestly say that I have not had that happen. I did have a CHP car trailing behind my truck and trailer with lights flashing for several miles without me noticing, apparently, until he pulled along side and on his loud speaker, politely invited me to move one lane to the right (I was abesnt-mindedly in the #2 lane, a no-no for rigs on that part of that freeway)

My surreal moment was a felony stop with officers approaching both sides, hands on holsters when my truck matched the description of one used in a robbery ("White pickup truck"... not many of those on the road I suppose)
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
For me it's that moment when your lane starts hard braking and you check your mirrors and it's clean and you bank right and carry on with your life without touching your brakes.
I can relate to that... I like it when I'm on the freeway and come up on stopped traffic on either side of me, and I just slow down a bit and slice between the traffic.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
You know that chill you get up your spine when you look in the mirror and a lit-up Highway Patrol car is coming up behind you? You start thinking "Oh man, what did I do?"

Other than an open rest stop on I-10 after 200 miles, I don't think there is any greater feeling of relief as when that car swings around you and you realize that you weren't the target. Just felt that relief on the way in this morning. He was behind me on a metered freeway onramp which was moving pretty slowly, no room to pull over, so the agony was palpable.

He was moving with quite a purpose to get on the freeway, apparently to provide some backup to the white CHP car on the shoulder. Must be one heck of a beligerent HOV violator in that grey Honda.
But have you ever had two (2) patrol cruisers in tandem up your butt with sirens and a loud speaker shouting at you to pull over?

Perhaps my proudest pull-over in my riding career.

Upon stopping, I looked in my left mirror to see the first patrol car waving back to have the second car cover them. :s (like, sheez!)

At the time I did not like the way to officer approached me with one arm on his hip. It was surreal. Was it my motorcycle super-dark tinted windows or sumthin'?
I can honestly say that I have not had that happen. I did have a CHP car trailing behind my truck and trailer with lights flashing for several miles without me noticing, apparently, until he pulled along side and on his loud speaker, politely invited me to move one lane to the right (I was abesnt-mindedly in the #2 lane, a no-no for rigs on that part of that freeway)

My surreal moment was a felony stop with officers approaching both sides, hands on holsters when my truck matched the description of one used in a robbery ("White pickup truck"... not many of those on the road I suppose)
That would do it for me too. :s
 
Thread starter
Actually, the only time I was ever pulled over while riding, I had just gone around a barricade at the end of my street that a car can't fit through, but a motorcycle can.
My excuse, which the officer accepted and quickly sent me on my way, was that I had to pee really bad, and that my house was right there (I was pointing).
 
I could be mistaken, but I think a large 55L bulbous top box on the back of a motorcycle tends to be ignored if you happen to be doing a little more than over the speed limit. At least it always feels that way.

If you are on a scooter, it similarly seems to never get touched when clearly a cage going that fast will get caught.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
I could be mistaken, but I think a large 55L bulbous top box on the back of a motorcycle tends to be ignored if you happen to be doing a little more than over the speed limit. At least it always feels that way.

If you are on a scooter, it similarly seems to never get touched when clearly a cage going that fast will get caught.
This Is a fact. The street I work on has a 30mph limit and I have been pulled over on my CB on that very street doing only 40. My CB is of course big and loud and black.

However, I regularly blow by police doing 50 on my CT125 and they never have a thing to say about it. Oh he's Just on a scooter....couldn't possibly be speeding.
 
I had my brother visiting from Denmark and I was taking him back to the airport. At a main junction joining the orbital Motorway surrounding Dublin there was a major crash, a large Heavy Good Vehicle had turned over on the sharp entry ramp. The police were there directing traffic past the incident. I recognised my neighbour who was a traffic cop at the time, my brother didn't know him. I pulled up to the Copper (winked) and started to give out a tirade or expletives, telling him how useless the cops were and what a rubbish job they were doing. He played along well and gave back as good as I gave. I ended up blowing past him in a tirade of rude insults and gestures and on to the airport. My brother was white as a sheet, dumbstruck! What the F was I playing at, were screwed now! I told him to relax, that is how you have to talk to some Coppers. He had another agonising 20 minutes, just waiting to be chased and pulled over. At the airport he was hurriedly extracting his bags from my car in an attempt to flee the country before the cuss hit the fan. I then let him in on the secret. :-)
 
Thread starter
That's just cruel, Tev. Sort of reminds me of the guy who stands on the corner of San Vicente and Fairfax, where I turn right to go to the museum on Saturdays. He has his cardboard sign saying "Homeless, Need Help" and collects money from stopped motorists. Looks pretty well off for a homeless guy, actually. One morning, someone at the light held out some cash, then a few other drivers did. Feeling sorta guilted into it, I grabbed what I had, a stack of quarters that must have been two bucks.

He flipped me off and said "Not worth my time to walk over for your change." I told him to stuff it. He yelled an expletive back at me. He can't spot me when I ride in, but he's recognized my car, and when he sees me now, he yells his expletives at me, I yell some back at him. A few weeks ago, Mrs. G rode to the museum with me. While we were waiting to turn, he started yelling his tirade at me. I yelled something back as we started turning.
"You know that guy?"
"Yeah... we have a thing..."
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
That's just cruel, Tev. Sort of reminds me of the guy who stands on the corner of San Vicente and Fairfax, where I turn right to go to the museum on Saturdays. He has his cardboard sign saying "Homeless, Need Help" and collects money from stopped motorists. Looks pretty well off for a homeless guy, actually. One morning, someone at the light held out some cash, then a few other drivers did. Feeling sorta guilted into it, I grabbed what I had, a stack of quarters that must have been two bucks.

He flipped me off and said "Not worth my time to walk over for your change." I told him to stuff it. He yelled an expletive back at me. He can't spot me when I ride in, but he's recognized my car, and when he sees me now, he yells his expletives at me, I yell some back at him. A few weeks ago, Mrs. G rode to the museum with me. While we were waiting to turn, he started yelling his tirade at me. I yelled something back as we started turning.
"You know that guy?"
"Yeah... we have a thing..."
It is quite the collective, Gone. Sadly, women are becoming a commonplace sight too.

Yes, there are a few who will throw down one's coin-based change offering. There is not much you can do at that point. Learn and move on.
 
I rode passed a cop on a downhill- he was in the right lane…

I passed him on the shoulder doing 47 in a 40.




…. on a bicycle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Well, probably extra paperwork pulling over someone on a bicycle, so you probably got a pass on that one I'd say.

My sign-bearing friend wasn't on the corner this past Saturday when I was on the way to the musuem. But, it was raining slightly.
About to head to North Carolina for a week, and am remembering that I got a speeding ticket there last year. 1am, after a long day of flying, half-asleep on a very long, desolate road. Kept thinking "Why is that guy in the Dodge Charger behind me in such a hurry? I keep speeding up, and he's just glued to my back bumper."
Too tired to put two-and-two together to realize that most states use Chargers as state patrol cars.
 
Nice one Gone in 60 :rofl: It's good to have "a thing". I'd say the other fella enjoys watching out for your car by now.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, probably extra paperwork pulling over someone on a bicycle, so you probably got a pass on that one I'd say.

My sign-bearing friend wasn't on the corner this past Saturday when I was on the way to the musuem. But, it was raining slightly.
About to head to North Carolina for a week, and am remembering that I got a speeding ticket there last year. 1am, after a long day of flying, half-asleep on a very long, desolate road. Kept thinking "Why is that guy in the Dodge Charger behind me in such a hurry? I keep speeding up, and he's just glued to my back bumper."
Too tired to put two-and-two together to realize that most states use Chargers as state patrol cars.
Speeding applies to motorized vehicles only?

Gone in 60_imp said:
Well, probably extra paperwork pulling over someone on a bicycle, so you probably got a pass on that one I'd say.

My sign-bearing friend wasn't on the corner this past Saturday when I was on the way to the musuem. But, it was raining slightly.
About to head to North Carolina for a week, and am remembering that I got a speeding ticket there last year. 1am, after a long day of flying, half-asleep on a very long, desolate road. Kept thinking "Why is that guy in the Dodge Charger behind me in such a hurry? I keep speeding up, and he's just glued to my back bumper."
Too tired to put two-and-two together to realize that most states use Chargers as state patrol cars.
lol - "friend". Take care Gone.
 
Back
Top