You know it?s not a good day when...

TCinNC_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Changed the oil on the CB earlier today. Pulled the drain plug, let the oil start draining, start doing other things on the bike. Put the plug back in... Later as I’m pouring the old oil out of the drain pan into another container, plop, there falls the drain plug washer
 
Just a matter of perspective, I suppose. I was riding around this afternoon and came upon an accident scene. Busy boulevard, lots of police and fire trucks, flashing lights everywhere, three bikes on the shoulder and one on its side in the median. The body was covered with a sheet. Please be careful out there!
 
I once had my oil changed on my truck, the plug was leaking so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the washer by opening the fill hole and putting a vacuum to it, removed drain plug and put new washer in place. No oil loss. Don’t know if it would work on the bike though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
MMC_imp said:
I once had my oil changed on my truck, the plug was leaking so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the washer by opening the fill hole and putting a vacuum to it, removed drain plug and put new washer in place. No oil loss. Don’t know if it would work on the bike though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen that done in my younger days. We used a shop vac on the oil fill hole. I have since heard the shop vac could explode from fumes.
??? Possible for sure. Me, ( if again) I would drain oil in a clean container and reuse. It will probably never happen again to you. :)
 
Thread starter
gmike_imp said:
MMC_imp said:
I once had my oil changed on my truck, the plug was leaking so I took it back to the shop. They replaced the washer by opening the fill hole and putting a vacuum to it, removed drain plug and put new washer in place. No oil loss. Don’t know if it would work on the bike though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen that done in my younger days. We used a shop vac on the oil fill hole. I have since heard the shop vac could explode from fumes.
??? Possible for sure. Me, ( if again) I would drain oil in a clean container and reuse. It will probably never happen again to you. :)
I have seen that done in my younger days. We used a shop vac on the oil fill hole. I have since heard the shop vac could explode from fumes.
??? Possible for sure. Me, ( if again) I would drain oil in a clean container and reuse. It will probably never happen again to you. :)
You can rest assured on your last sentence
 
When I was just a few years into driving, I changed the oil on a car but did not notice the old rubber seal from the filter stayed stuck to the block. Needless to say 2 rubber seals do NOT work better than one.

Talk about a huge mess.....
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
When I was just a few years into driving, I changed the oil on a car but did not notice the old rubber seal from the filter stayed stuck to the block. Needless to say 2 rubber seals do NOT work better than one.

Talk about a huge mess.....
Even worse on a CB, as the filter will dump the oil right in front of the rear tire. I think I've seen a few posts over the years where someone on the forum made this mistake.

One of the things I always do after removing the old filter is to run my finger around the seating surface to make sure it's smooth and free of debris.
 
Back
Top