Yet Another Windscreen Thread - Slipstreamed

rboe

Road warrior
Thread starter
Bought the Slipstream SO-3 and installed it on the CB. OK, found that it took so much wind off my chest that the second to the lowest setting on my heated gear is still too hot.

But a lot of wind buffeting leading to a lot of noise around the helmet. Need a solution for that. Then I recall I had a boat load of extra velcro dots for mounting my Laminair Lip. Took 40 minutes to find them, but I did, and took the lip off my MRA screen and mounted it on the Slipstream. Finally took it for a test ride this afternoon: Woow! Wind goes up and over my head, much quieter, this is good!

Pro: Very good protection, even for the thighs, noise is now very tolerable. I can have the flip screen on my helmet up without the air stream yanking my head back.

Con: Dang mounts loosen up on short rides (mainly the fork tube mounts, their system is not impressive), wind now pushes from behind (expected, and this is nit-picking), more noise from the road and engine now finds its' way to my ears. Looks very 1970's ish and dorky. But I have a Chic fairing coming in for the warm weather and when I want to look cool. :D


 
Whatever gets you down the road in comfort is all that matters.

Looks like AZ could use some modern road making techniques..that's rough bro.
 
Thread starter
During the test ride I went looking for a place to shoot the bike with the new plastic and ended up in some foot hills north of Deer Valley Airport, pretty much behind the old Martin Baker ejection seat plant (now long gone).

Horns: I forgot to mention that I upgraded the horns with Hella look a likes (and sound a likes) that I bought off of Aliexpress (China's version of eBay) for around $8 delivered. Had to buy some aluminum flat stock to mount them up and spray painted them black. They come with a red fascia.
 
Rboe, if the horns look alike and sound alike, what's the point? Are they louder?
 
Rboe_imp said:
During the test ride I went looking for a place to shoot the bike with the new plastic and ended up in some foot hills north of Deer Valley Airport, pretty much behind the old Martin Baker ejection seat plant (now long gone).

Horns: I forgot to mention that I upgraded the horns with Hella look a likes (and sound a likes) that I bought off of Aliexpress (China's version of eBay) for around $8 delivered. Had to buy some aluminum flat stock to mount them up and spray painted them black. They come with a red fascia.
That's one huge pair of "honkers"!...sorry, couldn't resist.
Any current issues? Did you need to add a relay?
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
During the test ride I went looking for a place to shoot the bike with the new plastic and ended up in some foot hills north of Deer Valley Airport, pretty much behind the old Martin Baker ejection seat plant (now long gone).

Horns: I forgot to mention that I upgraded the horns with Hella look a likes (and sound a likes) that I bought off of Aliexpress (China's version of eBay) for around $8 delivered. Had to buy some aluminum flat stock to mount them up and spray painted them black. They come with a red fascia.
That's one huge pair of "honkers"!...sorry, couldn't resist.
Any current issues? Did you need to add a relay?
That's one huge pair of "honkers"!...sorry, couldn't resist.
Any current issues? Did you need to add a relay?
LOL
 
Thread starter
They are about twice the diameter of the stock ones and much louder. I used the stock wiring. Should probably have used relays, but their use is pretty short.
 
Nice shield. Looks about the same size as my NC Plexistar. Just right for AZ winter riding.

I had one of those on my CB750 about 15 years ago. I ditched it after the handlebar mounts loosened and the rods slid down and dinged my tank. Keep an eye on them.
 
Thread starter
Will do. I prefer the MRA mount. But went cheap (also wanted the fuller protection these guys offer).

I have some aluminum flat stock I bought to make the horn mounts. Will make some new lower mounts. If those are more robust it will help the handle bar units. Thanks for the heads up.
 
I find that actually a smaller windscreen creates less wind noise and buffeting. Having too big of a screen acts like a sail boat and can cause more turbulance. Instead of cutting the wind your pushing against the wind. Much less aerodynamic. Wearing the right helmet has a lot to do with noise and buffering as well. Imho. This is a subject which is very contravesal. Some will say one thing and other will differ. It all comes down to user comfort.
 
Thread starter
The MRA is much smaller but creates more turbulence, even with the Laminair Lip while providing no additional protection for the hands. At least mounted on the CB.

The lower fork mounting system for the Slipsteamer is sub-standard and I find that in this application wanting. Big time. So I fabricated some new mounts that use the upper fork pinch bolts. The only problem I have not addressed yet is some rubbing on the instrument cluster. Here's a couple shots to show what I've done. I think I'll keep them natural and not paint them black.




I mocked up the mount with cardboard first, cut to length, marked and drilled the holes, shaped the ends with the belt sander, beat into submission, I mean bent the angles with a BFH* and my Workmate (no vise, all these years and no shop vise!!).

*BFH Big Frickin' Hammer - or roughly translated as a Harley Davidson fine adjustment tool.... :D
 
Rboe_imp said:
The MRA is much smaller but creates more turbulence, even with the Laminair Lip while providing no additional protection for the hands. At least mounted on the CB.

The lower fork mounting system for the Slipsteamer is sub-standard and I find that in this application wanting. Big time. So I fabricated some new mounts that use the upper fork pinch bolts. The only problem I have not addressed yet is some rubbing on the instrument cluster. Here's a couple shots to show what I've done. I think I'll keep them natural and not paint them black.




I mocked up the mount with cardboard first, cut to length, marked and drilled the holes, shaped the ends with the belt sander, beat into submission, I mean bent the angles with a BFH* and my Workmate (no vise, all these years and no shop vise!!).

*BFH Big Frickin' Hammer - or roughly translated as a Harley Davidson fine adjustment tool.... :D
Hah! Haven't heard that one in awhile. Back in ye olden days, we referred to a 16 lb. sledge hammer as a Harley Davidson fine adjustment tool :D
 
Thread starter
Well I must have the extra fine versions. 8 and 10LB sledges. :D

However; in this case I just used a ball pean hammer. I expect major use of thread lock in my future though.
And I learned that phrase when I worked at the Honda-Suzuki dealership many moons ago. From the mechanics, one who was a H-D guy.
 
Back
Top