Yet Another New CB1100 Stablemate thread...

furious_blue_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've joined the parade of CB fans doing some fresh spring acquisition-ing...

I've wanted an R-1 since the introduction of the great sounding cross-plane motor.
For 2015 they've finally ditched the undertail, have introduced an amazing array of new electronic controls AND they boosted the peak power output to an amazing ~200 HP. Every thing looks great.. except...
The seat height is listed at a very high 33.7 inches.. that's higher than the 2006 Speed Triple that I sold for the CB and I was never comfortable being seated so high on THAT..
I also began to get realistic about how long I could actually ride a bike with supersport ergonomics..
The R-1 is not to be..

Still fascinated by the current HP levels that reach near (or above) 200 HP I decided on a 2015 ZX-14R. Big, heavy, but roomy and plush. It fits the bill.
I'm breaking it in by the book, that means not exceeding 4K RPM so far..
Even running it gently in the low RPM range it's clear that the bike is a controlled explosion on 2 wheels..
Makes me wonder what the current crop of supersports, all with the same or MORE power but weighing 150+ pounds less must be like..



The addition of RLETs, black on black (photo below).. quietly marks this bike as a member of a very discerning group..
 
Very cool. Controlled explosion on 2 wheels is right. How is it for insurance?

I wish Yamaha would put a detuned R1 crossplane motor in a more standard bike. I would be so tempted, just for the sound, but realistically I don't use the hp in a CB1100 anymore. An R1 powered mill ( or a ZX14) would be wasted on me.

My doctor is a motorcyclist, that's how I met him 33 years ago. Saw him yesterday and asked him what he was riding now..last I heard it was a Hyabusa, before that a Multistrada, yesterday he tells me ZX14R.

Congrats!

Ps funny on the RLETs..wait until the guys on the ZX board see that.
 
That is a piece of machinery, you will appreciate the extra weight and more important the long wheelbase vs a liter bike. That bike will launch like a bobcat out of the hole with all the extra assists. Good luck and enjoy.

Cool Vid
Yahoo Search - Web Search
 
Congratulations! That's one serious motorcycle!!

You may consider it heavy compared to the R1 but it's not much heavier than a CB1100 DLX. Be sure to hang on when you complete break-in.
 
Perhaps we should post a picture of this in the HP vs Torque threads with the title

" HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE"


;)
 
You might have to change your username to furious_green. Great looking bike. I hope you enjoy it lots.

The RLETs are a nice touch. So is the yellow flower.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
You might have to change your username to furious_green. Great looking bike. I hope you enjoy it lots.

The RLETs are a nice touch. So is the yellow flower.

Ooooh furious green .. I like it..and it fits!
 
Thread starter
Thanks all for the comments.
In all likelihood, I will never use all the power that it offers. It's the strong midrange that is really appealing. There were times on my Blackbird that I found myself cruising in top gear at highway speed, having to drop down 2 gears in order to make a quick pass.. The ZX-14 will probably fill in that need, making any downshifting unneeded or optional.
As far as power for speed.. I took my Blackbird up to 160 mph on a stretch of straight interstate once, that was enough for me !
Poor Blackbird still waiting in the garage for me to install the new alternator, a chore that as of now will probably not get done until I retire :-)

-- can't change my screen name, here's my beloved Blue Fury that is its meaning:


-- the Sunflowers on all my bikes are me channeling Jimi Hendrix from the 60's, before Neil Young later declared that 'the Wooden Ship was just a Hippy dream', plus it's a kind of Yin Yang balance symbolism:


-- haunting the ZX14 forums.. I doubt that I'll spend much time on those other than getting and sharing technical information. This CB1100 group is the best. Somehow many of us 'old guys (gals ?)' who have had decades long love affairs with these 2 wheeled dreams have landed here.
We can appreciate where we are now AND how we got here and revel in all the variety of 2 wheeled machines out there old and new.

I think OldF7Guy pushed me over the edge to jump for this bike, he got his dream bike in time to enjoy it...

I've got to do the same !
 
Never ridden a Fury but have sat on them. Suprisingly comfortable.
 
My dealer has a red one that I'm not a big fan of, but that blue is really nice looking!
 
Has Honda dropped the price of the Fury? I seem to recall they were around $15-$17,000. Looking at Honda's website it says MSRP on a 2015 Fury is $9,999.00!
 
I've said before that if I could have one bike for every sub-type, the Fury would fill the chopper segment. Very pretty and, from what the moto journos say, quite capable on the road.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
My dealer has a red one that I'm not a big fan of, but that blue is really nice looking!
I don't even care much for blue on a motorcycle, but I chose that metallic blue color because it was the most garish poke-in-eye color they had :-)
What I really would have wanted in its stead would have been that 70's CB750 'Sunrise Orange Metallic' color (or whatever it was called).. now THAT would be a real poke in the eye with the frame, tank, swing arm all painted to match.

As soon as I saw the Fury announcement, I ran down to my local dealer to put a deposit on one. I had expected that they would be snapped up like the first Yamaha Specials (I had a '78 XS650 Special that I bought new and now wish I'd never let go of).. that didn't happen, obviously...
Yeah, the price has really dropped since 2009, as far as I see no one's really riding around on them so no surprise there...

I like it though and it's a keeper for me.. testament to too much teenager time wasted reading chopper magazines at the drugstore I guess :-)
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
My dealer has a red one that I'm not a big fan of, but that blue is really nice looking!
I don't even care much for blue on a motorcycle, but I chose that metallic blue color because it was the most garish poke-in-eye color they had :-)
What I really would have wanted in its stead would have been that 70's CB750 'Sunrise Orange Metallic' color (or whatever it was called).. now THAT would be a real poke in the eye with the frame, tank, swing arm all painted to match.

As soon as I saw the Fury announcement, I ran down to my local dealer to put a deposit on one. I had expected that they would be snapped up like the first Yamaha Specials (I had a '78 XS650 Special that I bought new and now wish I'd never let go of).. that didn't happen, obviously...
Yeah, the price has really dropped since 2009, as far as I see no one's really riding around on them so no surprise there...

I like it though and it's a keeper for me.. testament to too much teenager time wasted reading chopper magazines at the drugstore I guess :-)
Always into the chopper magazines growing up as well. Never much wanted to own one later in life, but when I went in to buy my CB, the red & while Fury caught my eye far more than it should have! Pictures don't do the flat white, and bright red, proper justice. It is a REALLY nice looking bike.

4ab4d3b854f0b4f5a9f20e107621d8a8.jpg
 
Back
Top