Yes Virginia, there is a speed limit.

I found the limiter by going out and finding a specific environment to test for it. That was 350 miles ago and I have NOT gotten any where near it since and I have been more than a bit more aggressive with it. I bought a shock adjustment tool and dialed in the rears and played with the front pre-load and was amazed at how good the suspension really is.
I don't know if I'll lay out the cash for a PC or some other controller. I want an exhaust system/slip-on far more and there are a few other things that will increase my comfort/handling more that removing that limiter.
 
I didn't even notice there was a speed limiter / governor on it until I read this post. For me, although on a rare occasion I get to about 110 on a country road straight away, that would be about it for me. So not really caring about the limiter as designed. Designed well enough for me and then some!
 
I have been into high performance Corvette's for years and all that was necessary to increase performance was to take the car to a specialist tuner and have the car dyno tuned or street tuned with a laptop. This was a must whenever adding bolt on performance mods such as exhaust, headers, cam, heads, etc. I am sure it is the same with these bikes. Simply find a shop that tunes performance motorcycles. I am sure they have software to access the Honda PCM and they can simply remove the speed limiter on the bike. I think it is that simple for those who cannot bear to have the limiter in place.
 
Apparently the problem is with the way Honda implemented the limiter — not tying it to a specific gear. I'm sure that at some point, someone out there will come up with a way to override the limiter. For the time being it sounds like there is quite a bit more work involved than the typical companies are wanting to put into it.

My suggestion: if enough of you guys want to override the limiter, compile a list of names and see how many of you would be willing to purchase a product such as a power commander (etc.) that would provide this benefit. If there are enough people willing to drop coin on such a product, then you might grab the attention of a manufacturer. Basically, if you have a committed number of people willing to purchase, then the manufacturer might find a way to invest more time/money to get it done. Strength in numbers, supply and demand, etc., etc..
 
Still no solution for this eh? I'm honestly curious about this bike's real quarter mile time and top speed. I find it's got plenty of acceleration. More than my XR did stock and that bike will go under 12 on the strip with a new air filter and drilled stock exhaust. One gentleman on the XR forum had a post of 11.88. If this is getting 11.7 while bumping into the limiter, I'm willing to bet it'll do the same kind of speed as the 1983 model, which is plenty fast.
 
Thread starter
Oboro_imp said:
Still no solution for this eh? I'm honestly curious about this bike's real quarter mile time and top speed. I find it's got plenty of acceleration. More than my XR did stock and that bike will go under 12 on the strip with a new air filter and drilled stock exhaust. One gentleman on the XR forum had a post of 11.88. If this is getting 11.7 while bumping into the limiter, I'm willing to bet it'll do the same kind of speed as the 1983 model, which is plenty fast.
I think it would be really close. I think it was Cycle World that published the 0-100 mph times for both models and they were just a few tenths apart.
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
I have been into high performance Corvette's for years and all that was necessary to increase performance was to take the car to a specialist tuner and have the car dyno tuned or street tuned with a laptop. This was a must whenever adding bolt on performance mods such as exhaust, headers, cam, heads, etc. I am sure it is the same with these bikes. Simply find a shop that tunes performance motorcycles. I am sure they have software to access the Honda PCM and they can simply remove the speed limiter on the bike. I think it is that simple for those who cannot bear to have the limiter in place.
Best advice I've heard on this thread. I was thinking the same thing. The PCM settings must be changed or over-ridden.
 
dailyrider_imp said:
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
I have been into high performance Corvette's for years and all that was necessary to increase performance was to take the car to a specialist tuner and have the car dyno tuned or street tuned with a laptop. This was a must whenever adding bolt on performance mods such as exhaust, headers, cam, heads, etc. I am sure it is the same with these bikes. Simply find a shop that tunes performance motorcycles. I am sure they have software to access the Honda PCM and they can simply remove the speed limiter on the bike. I think it is that simple for those who cannot bear to have the limiter in place.
Best advice I've heard on this thread. I was thinking the same thing. The PCM settings must be changed or over-ridden.
Best advice I've heard on this thread. I was thinking the same thing. The PCM settings must be changed or over-ridden. Haven't found one yet with the answer. Had it dyno'd @ Dynojet certified Honda dealer with PCV. Power Commander stated their tuner does not have capability. Dealer stated they did not either. ??? So far only way is to unplug rear wheel speed sensor but then you have no speedo.
 
I think I got screwed
You guys report 112 before limiter kicks in
I think my CB1100 is broke in now at 3000 miles
So I had to find this limiter
Hit 5th gear at 100 real nice and easy then boom
its like hitting the brakes
tis all I got

57ed49b909c7365c553dcc976aeb3ace.jpg
 
My speedo read 190 km/h till it backed off and floated between down around 180 after the limiter kicked in. It's a soft limiter eh!? I was surprised bike was still pulling no problem then just kinda like a let off the throttle a bit. This would pull over 200 easy without that pesky limiter!!!
 
biker_imp said:
I am a little bit surprised that top speed is such a big topic for you (US) guys. Where can you drive that fast? :huh: (apart of race tracks, for which the CB is not suited very well)
If you are interested in how fast the CB would be able to run: Before Honda imported the CB 1100 officially to Germany, a german dealer did this on his own. He was smart enough to built in another electronics that removes the Honda speed limit (I assume a kind of PC) into his models, and the official top speed of his models (the homologation of these models in Germany) is 217 Km/h, which is about 135 mph :exclamation:
Unfortunately, I did not know that when I ordered my CB. Else I probably would have searched for a used one of these models.
Building in a PC into my model (homolagation by Honda with 180 Km/h) is different, it would make my bike illegal in Germany.
But anyway, I am very happy with the CB :D
Answer: The Texas pan-handle. Those guys in the V8 trucks going home from work in the evening (>5pm) passed me while I was going 90mph, so I had to speed up to 110mpth to keep up with them :)
 
Sounds like someone figured it out but a power commander v won't eliminate the speed limiter. But an ecu re-flash from Guhl Motors will. And they can raise the rev limit of the engine.

I have read that one possibility for Honda's speed limit is that the stock bike just isn't designed to safely run that fast. I know mine felt a little wobbly at 110mph before I upgraded my tires and suspension.

I bought my CB because I liked the retro look but also because I wanted a bike I could easily customize but that had a modern engine.

Initially I thought my changes would be purely cosmetic but I realized there was a much more capable bike hiding in plain sight with some performance upgrades.

I've thoroughly enjoyed turning my CB into a sportier version of itself. That has included flashing the ecu, removing the speed limiter, and increasing the rev limit 500 rpm's. I have also replaced the exhaust and made some air intake changes. I had it tuned on a dyno and the difference is a lot of fun on something that doesn't look like it should go that fast. I have also switched to 17" wheels and dropped a tooth on the front sprocket.

It got up to 130mph on the dyno and 93hp. I have had it over 120mph and it felt much more stable than it did at 110 before the upgrades.

So even though I never bought the CB to ride like a sport bike I do now and I love it. I spent the weekend riding with a very experienced group of FJR riders in the mountains and the CB kept up to their amazement.

I love this bike.

46cb8b61e566a3a068808696fb148c0a.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top