Yes Virginia, there is a speed limit.

I am a little bit surprised that top speed is such a big topic for you (US) guys. Where can you drive that fast? :huh: (apart of race tracks, for which the CB is not suited very well)
If you are interested in how fast the CB would be able to run: Before Honda imported the CB 1100 officially to Germany, a german dealer did this on his own. He was smart enough to built in another electronics that removes the Honda speed limit (I assume a kind of PC) into his models, and the official top speed of his models (the homologation of these models in Germany) is 217 Km/h, which is about 135 mph :exclamation:
Unfortunately, I did not know that when I ordered my CB. Else I probably would have searched for a used one of these models.
Building in a PC into my model (homolagation by Honda with 180 Km/h) is different, it would make my bike illegal in Germany.
But anyway, I am very happy with the CB :D
 
biker_imp said:
I am a little bit surprised that top speed is such a big topic for you (US) guys. Where can you drive that fast? :huh: (apart of race tracks, for which the CB is not suited very well)
If you are interested in how fast the CB would be able to run: Before Honda imported the CB 1100 officially to Germany, a german dealer did this on his own. He was smart enough to built in another electronics that removes the Honda speed limit (I assume a kind of PC) into his models, and the official top speed of his models (the homologation of these models in Germany) is 217 Km/h, which is about 135 mph :exclamation:
Unfortunately, I did not know that when I ordered my CB. Else I probably would have searched for a used one of these models.
Building in a PC into my model (homolagation by Honda with 180 Km/h) is different, it would make my bike illegal in Germany.
But anyway, I am very happy with the CB :D
First, let me say, I have no desire to ride that fast; however, in answer to your question about where you can go that fast, it really depends on where you live. Here in NC it's more difficult since there is a fairly high population density (meaning more traffic, meaning more cops) and more twists and turns limiting visibility. However, I grew up in Kansas and the roads are straight, go for miles and there is very little traffic. There are lots of other places, especially in the central and western parts of the country, where you can drive for miles without seeing another car.
 
FUZZY_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
Tks! Yea my ZRX1200 would do 125 in 2nd. Once I get exhaust it will be time for a Power Commander to eliminate the 112 bs. Not that I need to ride @ that speed I just believe in having all that is available so "I" can determine how to use it.
furious_blue_imp said:
ApathyCurve_imp said:
Yeah, I bounced off it the other day on the enclosed HOV. I'd had it up to 110 before, but hadn't an opportunity to push higher. I got on the HOV early (about 3pm) and had five miles of barrier-isolated unoccupied road ahead, so I let 'er rip. Sure enough, it bounces off the 115 indicated. Pretty hard, too. By which I mean there's plenty of oomph left. I maintain this bike could easily clear 135mph without that limiter.

Even so, I'll probably not be buying a PC. I didn't really get this one for speed. If that was my interest, I'd have purchased a CBR again. I got the CB for style and comfortable workday commuting, and it does that admirably. I can get into all the hijinks trouble I want below 100mph. But I'd be interested to see how the bike does with the limiter removed at a drag track, just for kicks.
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
I'm not a speed freak either. The stock tires are Z rated(149+ mph) which is well within capabilities. The suspension is actually quiet respectable & capable. Think I'll be Stalin' south of 80 99% of the time. I'll still have a PC for tuning capabilities.
hmmm... I was a little surprised to read this. I finally got a chance to go check. My front tire Dunlop D205F seems to be marked as 'V' rated, which makes sense. Do you have a different tire ? I recall that the owners manual lists 2 different makes of stock tire Dunlop and Bridgestone (?).
 
If you fly over the Western part of our country, you will see that it is HUGE. Western states are much larger than they appear on a Mercator projection. From an airliner you can see roads that go for, maybe, hundreds of miles through deslolate country. I can imagine that going the speed limit would take forever to get anywhere.

You can see houses that are literally in the middle of nowhere.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
Tks! Yea my ZRX1200 would do 125 in 2nd. Once I get exhaust it will be time for a Power Commander to eliminate the 112 bs. Not that I need to ride @ that speed I just believe in having all that is available so "I" can determine how to use it.
furious_blue_imp said:
ApathyCurve_imp said:
Yeah, I bounced off it the other day on the enclosed HOV. I'd had it up to 110 before, but hadn't an opportunity to push higher. I got on the HOV early (about 3pm) and had five miles of barrier-isolated unoccupied road ahead, so I let 'er rip. Sure enough, it bounces off the 115 indicated. Pretty hard, too. By which I mean there's plenty of oomph left. I maintain this bike could easily clear 135mph without that limiter.

Even so, I'll probably not be buying a PC. I didn't really get this one for speed. If that was my interest, I'd have purchased a CBR again. I got the CB for style and comfortable workday commuting, and it does that admirably. I can get into all the hijinks trouble I want below 100mph. But I'd be interested to see how the bike does with the limiter removed at a drag track, just for kicks.
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
I'm not a speed freak either. The stock tires are Z rated(149+ mph) which is well within capabilities. The suspension is actually quiet respectable & capable. Think I'll be Stalin' south of 80 99% of the time. I'll still have a PC for tuning capabilities.
hmmm... I was a little surprised to read this. I finally got a chance to go check. My front tire Dunlop D205F seems to be marked as 'V' rated, which makes sense. Do you have a different tire ? I recall that the owners manual lists 2 different makes of stock tire Dunlop and Bridgestone (?).
hmmm... I was a little surprised to read this. I finally got a chance to go check. My front tire Dunlop D205F seems to be marked as 'V' rated, which makes sense. Do you have a different tire ? I recall that the owners manual lists 2 different makes of stock tire Dunlop and Bridgestone (?).
Mine are Bridgestone Batalax. You may be correct as I just looked on Bridgestone site to check rating.
 
Whay is it with you guys? I am 69 and am pi**ed off I bought a 1140cc, DOHC, FI, in line 4 cyl, 89.5 HP MC, and it hardly goes faster than my Yamaha TMAX (47hp)! And not near as quick! If someone doesn't come out with a fix, I will be getting rid of mine. I LOVE the look, feel, and torque around town. But I need some power and decent top speed. I ride with guys my age, and we have been turning 'em on for 40 years. My CB450 would run 120+ in 1970. (CL350 was not far behind). '74 Z1 was AWSOME and FAST! Showed 150, probably really 130mph.
I got blowed off by a Victory Cross Country bagger last Friday, on new Interstate I69. Miles of new concrete NO access.
I want/must have, a top speed eliminator, Youshimura system, and hotter cams when someone makes, them. Bigger, higher compression pistons too.
THATS what we did back in the day....and there were NO LIMITERS....except the FUZZ!
I swear my TMAX does 105! MY CTS V is "limited" to 185mph...that's OK.
 
HondaHarry_imp said:
Whay is it with you guys? I am 69 and am pi**ed off I bought a 1140cc, DOHC, FI, in line 4 cyl, 89.5 HP MC, and it hardly goes faster than my Yamaha TMAX (47hp)! And not near as quick! If someone doesn't come out with a fix, I will be getting rid of mine. I LOVE the look, feel, and torque around town. But I need some power and decent top speed. I ride with guys my age, and we have been turning 'em on for 40 years. My CB450 would run 120+ in 1970. (CL350 was not far behind). '74 Z1 was AWSOME and FAST! Showed 150, probably really 130mph.
I got blowed off by a Victory Cross Country bagger last Friday, on new Interstate I69. Miles of new concrete NO access.
I want/must have, a top speed eliminator, Youshimura system, and hotter cams when someone makes, them. Bigger, higher compression pistons too.
THATS what we did back in the day....and there were NO LIMITERS....except the FUZZ!
I swear my TMAX does 105! MY CTS V is "limited" to 185mph...that's OK.
If you got "blowed off" by a Victory bagger, either you weren't trying or you were already at 110 and he passed you at his top speed of 120 (they're rpm limited in 5th and 6th). I have ridden one of those exact bikes around and unless there's been significant engine work, it's not blowing past you. It weighs almost 250 lbs more, and in 5th/6th gear is limited to something like 4200-4300 rpm.

I'm glad that your Caddy being limited to "only" 185 mph is fine by you, although I'm super curious where exactly you're planning on getting up to that speed. I'm also glad I don't live anywhere near you, I already deal with enough people that think they're racecar drivers on my commute.
 
I'm with HondaHarry but want to add my two cents worth.

How was this bike every sold in it's current state? Added to the vibrations is the piss-poor bar height. Do you know how difficult it is to put your feet on the bars and steer while cruising down the interstate at 140MPH? And don't even get me started on the lack of a cupholder! They market this bike with all this Zen-like crap. It makes me sick. You want Zen? Have you ever cruised down the highway at 150MPH with your bare feet on the handlebars, toes caressed by the wind with a bag of Doritos (original Nacho cheese flavor) in one hand and a Schlitz Malt in the other, listening to Phil Jackson's inspirational tapes? That my friend is a Zen-like experience! And this bike simply fails to deliver it!!!!
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
I'm with HondaHarry but want to add my two cents worth.

How was this bike every sold in it's current state? Added to the vibrations is the piss-poor bar height. Do you know how difficult it is to put your feet on the bars and steer while cruising down the interstate at 140MPH? And don't even get me started on the lack of a cupholder! They market this bike with all this Zen-like crap. It makes me sick. You want Zen? Have you ever cruised down the highway at 150MPH with your bare feet on the handlebars, toes caressed by the wind with a bag of Doritos (original Nacho cheese flavor) in one hand and a Schlitz Malt in the other, listening to Phil Jackson's inspirational tapes? That my friend is a Zen-like experience! And this bike simply fails to deliver it!!!!
LOL.
 
HondaHarry_imp said:
Whay is it with you guys? I am 69 and am pi**ed off I bought a 1140cc, DOHC, FI, in line 4 cyl, 89.5 HP MC, and it hardly goes faster than my Yamaha TMAX (47hp)! And not near as quick! If someone doesn't come out with a fix, I will be getting rid of mine. I LOVE the look, feel, and torque around town. But I need some power and decent top speed. I ride with guys my age, and we have been turning 'em on for 40 years. My CB450 would run 120+ in 1970. (CL350 was not far behind). '74 Z1 was AWSOME and FAST! Showed 150, probably really 130mph.
I got blowed off by a Victory Cross Country bagger last Friday, on new Interstate I69. Miles of new concrete NO access.
I want/must have, a top speed eliminator, Youshimura system, and hotter cams when someone makes, them. Bigger, higher compression pistons too.
THATS what we did back in the day....and there were NO LIMITERS....except the FUZZ!
I swear my TMAX does 105! MY CTS V is "limited" to 185mph...that's OK.
Give ya a thousand bucks for it...cash.:P
 
HondaHarry_imp said:
Whay is it with you guys? I am 69 and am pi**ed off I bought a 1140cc, DOHC, FI, in line 4 cyl, 89.5 HP MC, and it hardly goes faster than my Yamaha TMAX (47hp)! And not near as quick! If someone doesn't come out with a fix, I will be getting rid of mine. I LOVE the look, feel, and torque around town. But I need some power and decent top speed. I ride with guys my age, and we have been turning 'em on for 40 years. My CB450 would run 120+ in 1970. (CL350 was not far behind). '74 Z1 was AWSOME and FAST! Showed 150, probably really 130mph.
I got blowed off by a Victory Cross Country bagger last Friday, on new Interstate I69. Miles of new concrete NO access.
I want/must have, a top speed eliminator, Youshimura system, and hotter cams when someone makes, them. Bigger, higher compression pistons too.
THATS what we did back in the day....and there were NO LIMITERS....except the FUZZ!
I swear my TMAX does 105! MY CTS V is "limited" to 185mph...that's OK.

Is this post for real? Are there really a group of nearly 70 year olds who want to run around running over 135 mph? GREAAAAT!

Can't be real.....Gimme a McDonalds senior coffee and some more horsepower please lol

Hate to tell you Harry, but you bought the wrong bike. Try a Kaw ZX 14 or a Suzuki Hyabusa.
 
Well here is the news from Power Commander:



I would estimate the unit to be built, stocked, and shipping within the next month or two.



The device does not remove a speed limiter. It is an engine air/fuel ratio tuning device.



Let me know if you have any further questions.



Regards,



Chris Kelly

Dynojet Research Inc.

2191 Mendenhall Dr. Suite 105

North Las Vegas, NV 89081

1-800-992-4993

:(:(
 
I'm over it, this bike is awesome at any speed.
Still interested in a power commander or Bazzazz device but they are too expensive for me to really look into now.
Ride safe everyone.
 
Hi,
I've been around an I know bikes. This CB ain't s!!t. At first I liked it. I was doin like 9000 miles an hour. Then my ridin buddy told me 'no, the speedometer is the one on the left'. That's the side where the bike leans over on the kickin stand, you know. Well, s!!t... This thing won't go no faster than 115 miles an hour ! My oven goes faster than that. It does 400 you know. Cooks a mean ass chicken at that speed too. So anyways, y'all are a bunch of ignorant suckers cause this bike is a slow mother...
 
Well this is spiraling out of control quick, fast, and in a hurry....... :(
 
I think you guys are being way too hard on HondaHarry.:s

I also was dissapointed when I learned of the speed govenor.

I am not advocating me, you or anyone else going 135+ on public roads, but it's nice to read a road test that glorifies your bikes performance.......even if you personally never use it.

Before others tell Harry which crotch-rocket we should have bought....perhaps Harry was looking for the same thing I was....a retro styled, non-watercooled, performance machine with an upright riding position that is similar to Hondas & Kawasakis of the 70's. But with none of the reliability issues & parts availability problems that come with a 40 year old bike. Honda built bikes that could safely exceed 112 MPH then, and there is no excuse for not doing it with this bike.

If Honda sold identical versions of the CB1100 with & without the speed govenor, which do you think would be more popular? Which would have the better resale value years down the road? If speed govenors are a good idea, perhaps Chevrolet could increase sales by adding 112 MPH govenors to their new Corvette.

I like the bike very much and don't share Harry's "sell the thing" opinion.

I do hope that there is some way to eliminate the restriction and let the bike run at it's full potential.:D
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
I'm with HondaHarry but want to add my two cents worth.

How was this bike every sold in it's current state? Added to the vibrations is the piss-poor bar height. Do you know how difficult it is to put your feet on the bars and steer while cruising down the interstate at 140MPH? And don't even get me started on the lack of a cupholder! They market this bike with all this Zen-like crap. It makes me sick. You want Zen? Have you ever cruised down the highway at 150MPH with your bare feet on the handlebars, toes caressed by the wind with a bag of Doritos (original Nacho cheese flavor) in one hand and a Schlitz Malt in the other, listening to Phil Jackson's inspirational tapes? That my friend is a Zen-like experience! And this bike simply fails to deliver it!!!!
This is the best damn post ever put up on this Forum. I laughed for 5 minutes! Well done. This sounds like Peter Egan. Cheers.

Chip
 
furious_blue_imp said:
Hi,
I've been around an I know bikes. This CB ain't s!!t. At first I liked it. I was doin like 9000 miles an hour. Then my ridin buddy told me 'no, the speedometer is the one on the left'. That's the side where the bike leans over on the kickin stand, you know. Well, s!!t... This thing won't go no faster than 115 miles an hour ! My oven goes faster than that. It does 400 you know. Cooks a mean ass chicken at that speed too. So anyways, y'all are a bunch of ignorant suckers cause this bike is a slow mother...
Speedometer on the right side?? Thanks Furious Blue....that explains alot. All this time I was trying to keep my speed below 1000 mph so that I wont disturb anyone with the sonic boom. Kept wondering how the kids on their bicycles avoided the sonic boom when they whizzed past me.
 
I agree except mine will be tuned with a Power Commander.I believe the wire fix is what we are looking @ as well. I have someone looking into this right now. :D
 
HondaHarry, I can respect your (and anyone else) preference for the removal of the speed limiter. However, I also think you've been the victim of "optimistic speedometers" with some of your other bikes.
 
Back
Top