Yes Virginia, there is a speed limit.

flynrider

Road warrior
Thread starter
So the recent talk that the CB1100 had a speed limit of 112mph proved too much temptation for me. I decided to go out to my favorite stretch of empty desert highway to see if this was true.

Previously, I'd had the bike up to 105 mph and it had still been accelerating briskly. It was hard to imagine that Honda would artficially hold it back. I'd heard that some of the scary fast bikes like the ZX14 and Busa had been limited to 186 mph (299 kph), but a 112 mph limit seemed kind of low. If you took the bike to the dragstrip, you'd likely bounce off the limiter before you finished the quarter mile.

Anyway, since I hadn't heard that anyone on the site had actually verified the existence of the limiter on U.S. models, I decided to go check it out for myself.

I was humming along at about 80 mph, when I shifted into 5th and rolled the throttle wide open. Within a few seconds the speedo was passing through 100. Without any letup, the bike passed through 110 and was still accelerating quite well. Then the speedo hit the area between 110 and 115 and I felt the power drop off. The bike made it to 115 indicated (114 on the GPS) then dropped to 110 then wobbled back and forth between 110 and 115.

I'm assuming that the limiter is built into the ECU and is shutting off 1 or 2 of the injectors when the computer detects that the speed is above 112 mph. My CB750 has a rev limiter built into the electronic ignition that shuts off one coil above redline and it seems a lot harsher than the CB11's limiter (the 750 has no EFI or engine computer).

So, there it is. While most will never bounce off the speed limiter at least we know it is there. Sadly, that makes my CB750 the fastest bike I have. No doubt the CB11 would blow it away from 0-112, but after that the 750 would leave it behind.
 
Were you able to glance at the tach above 110? I'm guessing the engine is reving in the 6500 rpm range at that speed.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Were you able to glance at the tach above 110? I'm guessing the engine is reving in the 6500 rpm range at that speed.
Sorry, I was kind of fixated on the bouncing speedo. I could definitely tell that it was below 7K. Usually 7K is where you start feeling some vibes in the bars. If the dyno charts are to be believed, it's also the where you'll find the hp peak.
 
Thanks Flynrider..now I don't feel obligated to find out for myself
 
Tks! Yea my ZRX1200 would do 125 in 2nd. Once I get exhaust it will be time for a Power Commander to eliminate the 112 bs. Not that I need to ride @ that speed I just believe in having all that is available so "I" can determine how to use it.
 
Fuzzy,

How does a Power Commander work?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Fuzzy,

How does a Power Commander work?
It can remove top speed limiter, modify rev limiter, change air/fuel ratio's that would be required if doing any intake/air box mods. It allows you to put it on a dyno to get it set up for your combination of mods. Last I looked they didn't have any base maps yet. It would come as stock map but you can still remove top limiter.


Power Commander Line | Dynojet
 
Had mine out on a stretch of nice straight & level of road and tested the limit on mine. Sure enough it kicked in at 115 and released when speed dropped below 110. Pretty disappointing on a machine that clearly had more than a little grunt left.
A PowerCommander is apparently in our future.
 
HA.... Never plan on going that fast so I just saved $ 400 ( or $289) woohoo
 
Honda should release ECU maps to US dealers that remove the limiter. Then we could have our ECUs remapped during a quick and inexpensive visit to the shop. Think that will ever happen?
 
Yeah, I bounced off it the other day on the enclosed HOV. I'd had it up to 110 before, but hadn't an opportunity to push higher. I got on the HOV early (about 3pm) and had five miles of barrier-isolated unoccupied road ahead, so I let 'er rip. Sure enough, it bounces off the 115 indicated. Pretty hard, too. By which I mean there's plenty of oomph left. I maintain this bike could easily clear 135mph without that limiter.

Even so, I'll probably not be buying a PC. I didn't really get this one for speed. If that was my interest, I'd have purchased a CBR again. I got the CB for style and comfortable workday commuting, and it does that admirably. I can get into all the hijinks trouble I want below 100mph. But I'd be interested to see how the bike does with the limiter removed at a drag track, just for kicks.
 
ApathyCurve_imp said:
Yeah, I bounced off it the other day on the enclosed HOV. I'd had it up to 110 before, but hadn't an opportunity to push higher. I got on the HOV early (about 3pm) and had five miles of barrier-isolated unoccupied road ahead, so I let 'er rip. Sure enough, it bounces off the 115 indicated. Pretty hard, too. By which I mean there's plenty of oomph left. I maintain this bike could easily clear 135mph without that limiter.

Even so, I'll probably not be buying a PC. I didn't really get this one for speed. If that was my interest, I'd have purchased a CBR again. I got the CB for style and comfortable workday commuting, and it does that admirably. I can get into all the hijinks trouble I want below 100mph. But I'd be interested to see how the bike does with the limiter removed at a drag track, just for kicks.
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
 
The ferret_imp said:
HA.... Never plan on going that fast so I just saved $ 400 ( or $289) woohoo
Yeah, me too!! So now I'm thinking that the lock I got and the sliders I'm going to order are pretty much free?:rolleyes:
 
FUZZY_imp said:
Tks! Yea my ZRX1200 would do 125 in 2nd. Once I get exhaust it will be time for a Power Commander to eliminate the 112 bs. Not that I need to ride @ that speed I just believe in having all that is available so "I" can determine how to use it.
furious_blue_imp said:
ApathyCurve_imp said:
Yeah, I bounced off it the other day on the enclosed HOV. I'd had it up to 110 before, but hadn't an opportunity to push higher. I got on the HOV early (about 3pm) and had five miles of barrier-isolated unoccupied road ahead, so I let 'er rip. Sure enough, it bounces off the 115 indicated. Pretty hard, too. By which I mean there's plenty of oomph left. I maintain this bike could easily clear 135mph without that limiter.

Even so, I'll probably not be buying a PC. I didn't really get this one for speed. If that was my interest, I'd have purchased a CBR again. I got the CB for style and comfortable workday commuting, and it does that admirably. I can get into all the hijinks trouble I want below 100mph. But I'd be interested to see how the bike does with the limiter removed at a drag track, just for kicks.
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
I'm like minded. Going faster is better on a bike that was meant to go faster: bigger and higher rated rubber, better more suitable suspension, etc..
I'm not a speed freak either. The stock tires are Z rated(149+ mph) which is well within capabilities. The suspension is actually quiet respectable & capable. Think I'll be Stalin' south of 80 99% of the time. I'll still have a PC for tuning capabilities.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
HA.... Never plan on going that fast so I just saved $ 400 ( or $289) woohoo
Yeah, me too!! So now I'm thinking that the lock I got and the sliders I'm going to order are pretty much free?:rolleyes:
Yeah, me too!! So now I'm thinking that the lock I got and the sliders I'm going to order are pretty much free?:rolleyes:

That's the spirit. :D
 
Back
Top