yellowing pipe and headers

pwh421_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
There is a noticeable yellowing of the exhaust pipe right where it bends to rise past the back tire.. There is also a lot at the headers, but memory says that is normal..

But is it normal farther back on the exhaust?
 
I seem to remember some of it on my 13's 4 into 1
 
My factory muffler is turning as well, but I'm not worried about it.
 
From everything I've heard, the leaner a bike runs the more it occurs. Our bikes run rather lean from the factory for the purpose of meeting emission standards. My CB has nearly 2,000 miles and most of the header has turned a gold color.
 
Hey Ferret - can't resist rubbing it in. :)

Unfortunately single wall steel pipes are prone to yellowing. You can polish it out but it will return.
 
My '13 is turning. I view it as simply a patina that let's others know it's not a garage queen. Any bike that is ridden gets it's scars, it's the evidence of something enjoyed.
 
I believe he is talking about back where the silencer connects to the headers by right foot peg
 
I've seen that yellowing in various pictures around here. Seems to be fairly normal. My header collector down beneath has a bit of that color, but my muffler was pretty well un colored when I removed it around 4000 miles. I found that optiglanz cleaner gets rid of it for a while, but it's back now that I'm around 6000 miles. A stainless header polish like Yoshimura Stain Magic might work to clean that up.
 
pwh421_imp said:
There is a noticeable yellowing of the exhaust pipe right where it bends to rise past the back tire.. There is also a lot at the headers, but memory says that is normal..

But is it normal farther back on the exhaust?
If you tried harder, you could get'em blue, if you liked that more. :cool:
 
Thread starter
Django_imp said:
pwh421_imp said:
There is a noticeable yellowing of the exhaust pipe right where it bends to rise past the back tire.. There is also a lot at the headers, but memory says that is normal..

But is it normal farther back on the exhaust?
If you tried harder, you could get'em blue, if you liked that more. :cool:
If you tried harder, you could get'em blue, if you liked that more. :cool:
Heh.. Yeah, they will get there...
 
huxley2_imp said:
JPX_imp said:
My 2014's stainless headers are being Cermakromed by a shop right now. They just need to finish polishing them and then they're shipping them to me. I'll post a picture when I get them back.

http://www.header-coatings.com/about-us/
Can't wait until your report. Strongly considering getting mine plated too.
Can't wait until your report. Strongly considering getting mine plated too.
They shipped out Friday and my tracking number says they're going to be at my place tomorrow. My plan is to mount them up Monday night so I should have some pictures on Tuesday hopefully. :thumbsup:
 
I'll look forward to the photos. Reading the blurb* on Cermakrome I see that they give a "highly polished ally colour". Should look good.

Cheers

* Quote:This is a remarkable coating, developed from the NASA space programme, that is water based and cures at 260˚C to a green/white smooth powder finish. At Camcoat these manifolds are then put into a large vibratory trough machine filled with specially treated ceramic balls and a lubricant polishing soap for a period of time after which they come out looking almost like chrome. Highly polished ally would be a more exact description but, unlike stainless steel and chrome plating which both discolour with the heat of the exhaust gas after a matter of moments the "Cermakromed" exhaust will keep its polish for many years. In the event of tarnishing or even mild scratching the finish can be restored using very fine grade 0000 steel wool and chrome metal polish such as Autosol.
 
After 37,000 miles, mine almost look like they are gold anodized. I like it!
a3e17b716522c5e791238751f5952240.jpg
 
Back
Top