Yeeeeehah! Vroooom! The Condamine Bell Rodeo.

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
As a young lad I spent a lot of time at the rodeo. They used to say my Dad could "ride a bit". Believe me, He could. To revisit the stamping grounds of my long lost youth I hit the road to Condamine for the Condamine Bell Rodeo. My plan was to leave Sydney on the Thursday, camp near Walcha that night, arrive at Condamine on Friday afternoon and leave for the return to Sydney on the Sunday morning. The weather forecast was encouraging; a large high pressure system moving across the continent would push some east coast rain away leaving clear skies for at least five days, but cold. I chose a fairly direct route as I was a little pressed for time. Looking at the route I realised that day one was all about the ride. Out of Sydney and up the Putty Road to Singleton. A combination of fast sweepers, tight corners and straights culminating in the famous Ten Mile, now signed as 16kms of twisty bits. Despite metrification it is still known as the Ten Mile. I guess it has a better ring to it. I can't truly say wether it matches The Dragon for turn numbers as I lose count at about fifty when, not being a great multi-tasker, my cornering gets a bit ragged when I remove the second glove. But it can't be far behind though. From Singleton I headed north along the Dungog road. This road is a favourites of mine. It first climbs then crosses Sugarloaf Mountain and wends it way along open ridges to Dungog and Scone. From Scone it was up Thunderbolts Way on to the New England Tableland. Thunderbolts Way was a good motorcycle road, a steep climb (or descent) with tight turns of varying radii. I said "was" for a reason. Heavy rain, bush fire and log truck activity have badly degraded the surface and now great care is required to avoid potholes, loose gravel, heavy vehicle tyre depressions and steep dirt shoulders that encroach into the road. A beast waiting to bite the unwary biker. Some have been bitten, and bitten hard. In a mist produced by cloud I carefully ascended to the Tableland and then rode, at a good pace, the last 90kms to the Oxley Wild Rivers NP to camp at Apsley Falls campground. By the time I had set up camp the cloud had gone and the air was dry and cold. Both Cormanus and I have posted photos of the aforementioned roads in other threads, so none this time. But here are a couple of photos of my camp at Apsley Falls. The campground is well maintained and firewood is provided, along with toilets and water points. The water is good but is preferably boiled before drinking or cooking.

Despite an overnight temperature of 1degC (33.8F) I was camping light with an infantryman's hoochie. I wanted a quick getaway in the morning. You may note that the CB triple tree makes a superior tie point and that the centre stand rests on a piece of firewood as the ground was softish after recent rain.



For cooking and external warming I soon had a fire going. Internal temperature control was achieved by the usual EBR method. Dinner was a can of bacon and beans and a good look at the stars.



I was up at the crack of dawn, breakfasted (porridge and black tea) and packed up before seven. There were still plenty of kangaroos around so I delayed departure, planning on leaving around 8:30. To fill in the time I rode to the Apsley Falls itself, another 400meters or so into the park.

Apsley Falls drops around 100meters into a very narrow, slate lined, steep sided gorge. Not the sort of place a man wants to be wandering around in the dark. There is not a lot of water going over the falls in the photo below. In flood I am told it is spectacular.





Leaving Apsley I rode across the gentle sheep farming country of the New England Tableland which, after a gradual descent, gave way to the Moree Plains, an area of broad acre farming dominated by feed lots to service the live cattle export industry. The terrain is as flat as a pooh* carters hat, with motorcycle interest only a mite above zero. The sort of road where a good iPhone music library is a blessing. One positive was that the temperature increased to around 25degC. Perfect for riding.

*Euphemism used to maintain Forum Decorum.

North of Goondiwindi (pronounced Gun-dah-windy), the landscape becomes harsher; scrubby, dry, with termite mounds and some small patches of prickly pear (not pictured). The road consists of very long straight stretches (30kms or so) with the occasional soft S-bend to make sure you are still awake.


Late afternoon I arrived at Condamine. Condamine, population 429 at the 2011 census, is serviced by a small hotel and a roadhouse. The roadhouse is an old style classic truckies' roadhouse and the hotel is described as "historic". I suspect "historic" means that it should have been demolished and rebuilt quite some time ago. Historic doesn't quite cover it. I liked it. Anyway the few locals who were propping up the bar were friendly so I wet my whistle and gained directions to the rodeo ground, about six kilometres out of town.

I soon had my tent set up.


I took a ride around the camp area.


I checked out some of the stars of tomorrows show. These boys had had their life path altered at an early age by a sharp knife.


Not so these boys. Everyone of them a 1000 kilos of testosterone fuelled muscle and meanness with names like Suicide, Nutcracker, Terminator and Romper Stomper. I didn't climb in to pat them.

Enough of the travelogue and on with the show. Next day the sky was clear; after a cool night the temperature rose to 27degC (81F). A perfect day for riding horses, roping steers and riding bulls. Or even, like me, watching on with a cold beer in hand.

My young next-door neighbour Dave, unaffected by a couple of last night’s campfire rums, is pictured below warming up his rope arm for the day ahead. A good bloke. His family were very hospitable to me, inviting me to a feast of bacon and eggs for breakfast.


Barrel racing:






Above and below are the kids. Sure beats sitting at home watching reality TV.


Team calf roping. One rider has to "horn it" (he has), and the other has to "heel it" by putting his rope around both rear legs. This is done at a gallop and skill with a rope is a must.


Rope and Tie. From the gallop rope the calf, dismount and tie four legs together.


Like this.

Well here comes the big one. Bull riding. I have never seen anything that requires more courage. It is not wether you will be hurt, it's just when and how bad.

Here is the crowd, if you can call this lot a crowd, looking on.


Hold tight cowboy, only eight seconds to go.


This boy is just about to find himself between a bull and a hard place.


You will note that whenever the bull is about those inside the fence are very prepared to be outside, or on the fence, at very short notice. Very smart. The only exceptions are the clowns. They will do anything, and I mean anything, to keep the downed rider safe at whatever the cost to themselves. It is their job.


Prizes were given, the music began and a good night was had by all. The next morning, with a slightly heavy head, I pulled up stumps and headed back home. Almost a carbon copy, reversed, of the ride up. Back to Apsley Falls for the night and then home on Monday afternoon. While at the Condamine truck stop getting petrol for the return I considered buying a key ring size Condamine Bell. No need really. I have this. Thanks again Gene and Evelyn.


I guess I had better clean Last Blast soon.



As our old mate Bugs Bunny says, "That's all folks" and thanks for listening.

Cheers.
 
+1 on the desire to moto-camp. Somewhat surprisingly, not a single one of my riding friends share this desire. I guess it'll have to be a solo trip...clearly could be an excellent tour, based on the wonderful write-up above.
 
Love this ride report Ptero as I am a rodeo fan also. Your camping-riding trip sure looked like a fine one, something I have not done since the 70's. The barrel racing pics are especially good as are your campsite images. Wish I could have been there.
:thumbsup:
 
Daggone but you do great ride reports matched only by excellent pics. The barrel racing ones are stunning. Great job Ptero

Love the campsite. I've always thought a motorcycle bars and rear rack or tail light could be used as tie down points for the high end of a lean to. You came close. Would have loved to have tried it when I was young and could still sleep on the ground.. Probably too late now. ..for me anyways.
 
Ptero... I just happened to read your report AND noticed the photo of the bell. Hey thanks for showing it. I forgot about that... I've not been active on the site of late... and thought perhaps I might have missed a post of it. I'm glad you're using it! Ride safe my friend. Ps... you write GREAT posts! You and Cormanus both... there must be something in that Aussie 'water'!
 
Thanks for interesting story and photos. In my childhood we played in cowboys and indians. Yeeehaaah! So, thank you for pleasant reminding.
 
Hi Ptero,

thank you very much for this excellent ride report. I really appreciate your writing. It inspires me a lot as a non native English reader, to read from a real gentleman writer.

Cheers.
 
Looks like a great time. I couldn't camp like that any more, would be lucky if I could stand up straight the next morning if at all. Would have to be Hotel 6 for me. I love the "crowd" at the rodeo. I wish the crowds around here were that small. I also didn't realize that Rodeo was a down under thing, thought it was only in the U.S.
 
Thread starter
Doug_imp said:
Looks like a great time. I couldn't camp like that any more, would be lucky if I could stand up straight the next morning if at all. Would have to be Hotel 6 for me. I love the "crowd" at the rodeo. I wish the crowds around here were that small. I also didn't realize that Rodeo was a down under thing, thought it was only in the U.S.
Roughriding, as it used to be known in Australia, has a history here dating back to the 1880s. In the early sixties, at the time when an Australian won the bareback ride at the Calgary Stampede, it developed an American style and roughriders became cowboys, dressed like them, and rode broncos instead of buckjumpers. A kind of Agricultural Imperialism I guess. Well received though. Over the years Australians have competed in the various US circuits and achieved some success. Dave Appleton, Bernie Smythe, Troy Dunn and Glenn O'Neill would be some examples.

The huge, very impressive, professional events in the States are magnificent and going to one, preferably on two wheels, is on my bucket list. But I still love that small Aussie bush town atmosphere epitomised by the Condamine Bell. A bit like COTA compared to PI; they both have their own style, just different, and equally appealing depending on your mood.

As for camping from two wheels, well maybe you would surprise yourself. Me? I've always preferred a firm mattress ;).

Cheers mate.
'Geezer, MG, MTC, ‘Birds, Whiskey, Ferret, Ride4, Rocky, Volchkoff and Django, thanks for the kind remarks. I appreciate your comments. On this great forum there has been some interesting discussion on why we ride bikes. Well you have probably picked up by now that one of the joys of life for me is packing the CB for a camping trip. Not just to “get away from it all” but also to explore, sometimes revisit, and just plain enjoy this country and it’s people. I hope I can wring it out for a few more years.

Cheers, and once again, thanks.
 
Thanks for a great report, Pterodactyl. I can't tell you how much I enjoy your ride reports. I nearly always get a good belly laugh. This time it had to do with the chap's hat. I'm glad you got the Gremlin Bell affixed. I did too just before I left. I found a ring under the engine that holds a couple of the breather pipes and attached it to that. I'll try to get a photo when I'm home briefly soon.

I'm already missing our rides. There aren't very many bikes to be seen here, although there's a prominent scooter shop. Interesting, really when you consider the number f small capacity bikes and scooters in Asian countries.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Great to hear from you mate, and see you back on the forum. The Condamine was a different world to the big smoke I live in now. You would have had a good time I'm sure. I am riding to PI with a group of about ten, overnights at Cooma and Omeo, and meeting noroomtomove at the track on the Thursday afternoon. That ensures at least two CBs to intimidate those wannabes like Rossi, MM et al. :)

Cheers and thanks for your kind comments.
 
Great prose and pics Pterodactyl!

Would mind commenting a bit more on this?

"There were still plenty of kangaroos around so I delayed departure"
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
Great prose and pics Pterodactyl!

Would mind commenting a bit more on this?

"There were still plenty of kangaroos around so I delayed departure"
Why wait for the roos? Well, read on.

In an old thread, Cormanus posted a link that only too vividly shows a real threat we face riding here in Oz. To wit, Kangaroos. Sometimes known as Kangabloodyroos. While not directly dangerous to humans, after all they are not carnivorous and don’t hunt us down, they are a real and common hazard to motorists of all varieties. Dusk, dawn and night are prime kangaroo times and can make riding in bush, outback or even some semi-urban areas very dangerous. During the day they tend to retreat to the scrub and rest. Almost without exception any vehicle, from private car to interstate truck, that travels country roads at night is equipped with a Roo Bar. Unfortunately not practical on a motorcycle.

Riding in or adjacent to National Parks can be particularly dangerous as roads are mostly unfenced and culling is prohibited. Roos often feed on the fresh grass shoots that grow on road shoulders and verges. I have had plenty of roo hits in cars and trucks but, as yet, none on a bike. No bike hits because I avoid riding in those conditions and, if caught out, ride very, very carefully. With roos it is not a matter of turning a corner and seeing one in the middle of the road and then stopping or taking some kind of avoidance action. They will literally leave the side of the road, or adjacent scrub, and bound, very erratically and unpredictably across or even up or down the road. From a position of safety on the side of the road they will often, it seems, track you down like a big furry sidewinder missile. Don't ask me why they are so intent on mutual destruction; it's just what they do. Some years ago I had a brand new ute (pickup), my pride and joy, when, leaving a pub near Roma in Central Queensland at night, and driving very slowly, a Big Red jumped into the offside door. The roo left the scene without leaving his insurance details. Believe me, they cease to be cute little "Skippies" when you are "roofully" surveying the damage!

Let me recount a tale (whoops I almost typed tail). I have been a witness to our esteemed fellow forum member, Cormanus, being very close to being taken out by a kangaroo. From memory we had left Guyra on a sunny, clear but cold morning at about 9:30 and were riding eastward on the Guyra – Ebor Road. At that hour in those conditions a roo strike is unlikely. We were riding at about 120kph with Cormanus leading me by 100meters: apart from frozen fingers we had not a care in the world. Suddenly Cormanus was enveloped in a horizontal rain of grey furry objects from which, thankfully, he emerged unscathed. I say thankfully cause if he had been struck it would have stuffed up my plans for the day; you know, calling (assuming we had a cell phone network) and waiting for an ambulance, giving statements, perhaps even having to give succor to him while he was in extremis. All that stuff takes up good riding time.

At spots particularly hazardous there are often signs such as these:





Here a couple of photos of roos of the Eastern Grey variety at campsites I have used while biking:





Cheers, and hoping (or should that be hopping?) your question is answered.
 
With regards to Pterodactyl's post it relates to the smell of summer, once we pass the Equinox the road kill brews up.I have been in luck regarding Roo's and Wombats my last encounter was in a HZ Kingswood wagon near Goondiwindi in the late afternoon when I really should have been doing other things maybe 1984-85. I did confront a flock of Galahs in all places Canberra, true story- headlight smashed and in need of Adventure underwear.
 
Thank you for expanding on the story, Pterodactyl. When I first read your original post I thought Kangaroo "nature watch" or "riding hazard". Clearly I had no idea how hazardous "roos" are to the motoring public!

Sadly, my only "knowledge" of Australian nature is limited to movies such as Crocodile Dundee.

Thanks for sharing!
 
curlyjoe_imp said:
Thank you for expanding on the story, Pterodactyl. When I first read your original post I thought Kangaroo "nature watch" or "riding hazard". Clearly I had no idea how hazardous "roos" are to the motoring public!

Sadly, my only "knowledge" of Australian nature is limited to movies such as Crocodile Dundee.

Thanks for sharing!
Crikey!!
 
Back
Top