Yearly tradition

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Every year, for as long as I can remember, my younger brother and I take a ride on New Year's Day (weather permitting of course .. which means no snow or ice on the road)

This year the weather terrorists predicted sunshine, 28 degrees going up to 36 degrees. Zero chance of precip. Can't ask for much better than that!

We decided to meet at my house and ride out to a restaurant in Georgetown Ohio called the Country Inn for brunch. It was right at freezing when my brother showed up on his FZ, but the sun was shining and it would only get warmer.

Holding up the 1-1 fingers (January 1st)



The ride out to Georgetown is on State Route 125 which runs east-west some 150 miles from Cincinnati to Portsmouth, Ohio through the Shawnee State Forest near it's western terminus. Here we are going into a valley between the villages of Hamersville and Georgetown which White Oak Creek flows thru. The creek runs all the way to the Ohio River about 12 miles south of here. BTW 18th President Ulysses S Grant lived for awhile and went to school in Georgetown and famed wildlife artist Carl Ruthven lives there.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/New%20Years%20Day%202016%20006_zpstbfvlmtm.jpg.html]

The Country Inn is known for it's great home cooking and homemade pies. (Fun fact ... when President Obama was in this area during his first term he stopped here to eat.)

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/New%20Years%20Day%202016%20008_zpsfku1mizd.jpg.html]

We were here for a breakfast meal called the Slammer. Eggs, bacon, sausage, hash brown potatoes and pancakes. A lot of food for $7.99 .... Man it was good.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/New%20Years%20Day%202016%20009_zpsgapbyvtv.jpg.html]

We waddled out of there and needed to work off that meal by riding some more. Here's a neat little natural falls. Runs all year unless there is a draught.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/New%20Years%20Day%202016%20012_zps4ipwvthh.jpg.html]

We weren't the only ones out riding. Here a Harley brother goes past headed west. 36 degrees ... NO helmet... not even a knit hat. I felt like a wimp in my electric jacket liner and heated grips, balaclava and full helmet. Said it a million times, I am not tuff enough to ride a Harley. :rofl:

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/New%20Years%20Day%202016%20013_zpskkhb9be4.jpg.html]

We were even able to get in some might fine curves on the way to my brothers house

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/New%20Years%20Day%202016%20019_zpsigjbfov3.jpg.html]

Notice sun and shadows in these pics. Awesome. 114 miles today. Great way to start racking up the miles in the New Year.
(btw checked my records and Jan 1 2015 I rode 111 miles so, I'm ahead of last year bwahahahaha)
 
Good work, Ferret. I think your report speaks more to your Harley mate's sensory capability than your tuffness.
 
What a nice tradition, looks fun. That breakfast looks awesome...I would have to curl up and take a snooze if I ate that much food!
 
Thanks for sharing, Mr F!

Beautiful photos, areas! Didn't know Ohio had such country - I've visited Bryan and Napoleon; both were FLAT, lol.

And I was wondering how you manage all that cold weather riding, didn't know you had heated stuff.
 
Wished I ate so well on my New Year's Ride!

Started doing an early morning Jan. 1st ride some years back with a buddy to ensure we started the new year off right. Since not much was open early in the morning we would just ride around the island (about 100 miles) with only a stop to pee if needed.

Would get home early enough to have some breakfast since the ride isn't that long, maybe three hours, but of course the weather was a lot more pleasant for sure (this year it was a bit cooler, like 68 so I had to wear a shell under my mesh jacket).

We called the annual ride the "Iron Okole" (your bottom end in Hawaiian). Not real hard to do, nothing real special, but just a little tradition to keep the riding going for the rest of the year.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Excellent way to start the year Huladog.
 
wow, lucky you. you're the *1 rider.
happy new year and thx for all the good info and photos you share with us. very valuable infos . keep it safe. :thanks: :hello:
 
Bokobob_imp said:
Nice, nice ride. I am not brave enough to ride in the cold.
One man's "brave" is another man's "silly" and you can count me in the latter group when it comes to riding when it's cold....but Mickey is far braver...err sillier than am I.
 
Thread starter
There is no bad weather, there is only bad gear

I have great gear!
 
bf873fb671a3d631103dd541b58a7796.jpg
. I too. Got some riding in up the PCH. From Santa Cruz. It was a warm. 55*.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
neat pic dsan ...very moody!

62 more miles for 2016 today 34 degrees and snow flurries.

makes it 4 for 4 for January and 264 miles
 
Thread starter
:rofl: they do make heated pants liners. Haven't seen a need for them yet (coldest ride last year was -1F) but I bet they would feel good. :thumbsup:
 
I've never had a bike with heated grips, seat. Nor have I owned heated clothing. I'm sure it's all dang comfortable... but I suppose I'm old school and simply bundle up and tough it out. Or, if it's too cold, stay off the bike. (Or maybe I'm just a wimp.)
 
Back
Top