Yeah, I know, never buy a used helmet... But.

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I've had a hankering for a classically-styled helmet. My commuter lids are practical, comfortable, and festooned with reflectorized tape and camera mounts. Not well-matched to my classically-styled bikes.

I was following Pdedse's experience with his Torc helmet, which didn't quite pan out, as they are round shaped. In fact, most vintage-style helmets are better suited to round heads than ovals like mine.

I have a Biltwell Gringo standard model, but without a flip-up face shield, it's not the most practical lid. However, it's a good head-fit for me. The Gringo-S, I imagine the S is for Shield, has a flip-up shield, and is now being blown out by most retailers for the updated VS, Vented Shield model.

I'm not hip to the available colors of the dwindling supplies of clearance helmets, like chocolate brown, for example. Quite a while back, they offered the S model in a rather fetching metallic blue-green color, and I had thought that maybe I should have snagged one while I had the chance.

On a whim, I typed Gringo S into Facebook Marketplace yesterday, and this lid came up, just a few miles from home. New in the box, in my size, for a steal. Huh...

I've never entertained the idea of buying a "used" helmet, but the seller explained that her brother and dad work in the custom motorcycle market, and sometimes come across new parts and gear. This was a new helmet that they acquired, and indeed, it was in the box with labels and no signs of wear.

Gave it a test ride on the way to work this morning, and it's very comfy. As with all vintage-style helmets, form follows function, and lifting the shield is a tad fiddly, but it has a shield. I'll keep the refectors and camera mounts off of this one and leave it be. No need to sully the color, even if it doesn't match any of my current bikes!

 
Thread starter
I have the bubble shield on my standard Gringo, and it looks cool, but snapped in place I can't lift it.
 
I got a helmet from a goodwill-style thrift store once... a Bell Qualifier for 30 bucks. I was so shocked to see it and so shocked that it was in my exact size that i purchased it immediately. I hadn't upgraded to nicer helmets yet so this was a huge find for me. I ended up using that helmet for years and to this day I don't know if it was a great idea or not....
 
Thread starter
I don't know that I'd like the sparkle, but it's a good companion to my lime-gold model. Pretty enough to be office art when I'm not wearing 'em!

misterprofessionality_imp said:
I got a helmet from a goodwill-style thrift store once... a Bell Qualifier for 30 bucks. I was so shocked to see it and so shocked that it was in my exact size that i purchased it immediately. I hadn't upgraded to nicer helmets yet so this was a huge find for me. I ended up using that helmet for years and to this day I don't know if it was a great idea or not....
I shopped Goodwill for my DGR outfit, and picked up some very nice suit jackets and dress shirts, which I now reserve for formal occasions. Nobody needs to know, right?
 
Thanks for the stories today, Gone. You are brightening up this old man's day. I think that blue helmet was just made for you and fate helped you find it. May it never get a scratch.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Nacho! I feel pretty lucky to have found it. Funny how things work out, huh?

In the meantime, I'm trying to help facilitate the inspection of a car that's being sold locally on FB Marketplace for a friend who's out-of-town. It's turning into a time-sucking circus.

Win some, lose some in the world of online purchasing from randos, I guess.
 
Looks good to me! The one thing about that Torq helmet was the thin, thin chin bar, so it really felt like a 3/4 helmet but with the advantage of the enclosed full helmet. Great visibility. But, fit...square peg into round hole.
 
Thread starter
This one has a pretty thick chin bar, but great visibility nonetheless. Being "classic", there's not breath guard, so worn in cold weather with the visor down, it will fog a bit I'm sure.
 
Thread starter
Glamsters, Bell Bullits and the like are very nice, but outside my fun helmet budget.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
This one has a pretty thick chin bar, but great visibility nonetheless. Being "classic", there's not breath guard, so worn in cold weather with the visor down, it will fog a bit I'm sure.
Just ride up to the SF area, and then you won't have to worry about your visor being fogged up.
 
Thread starter
Ha! Wouldn't it be constantly fogged in that case?
One of the special features of my Royal Enfield is the built-in temperature gauge. If the gauges fog up, I know it's below 50 degrees.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ha! Wouldn't it be constantly fogged in that case?
One of the special features of my Royal Enfield is the built-in temperature gauge. If the gauges fog up, I know it's below 50 degrees.
:rofl:
 
The first helmet I ever bought was a used Bell, for $10. This is waaaay back in the day. There used to be a moto-centric used gear store in Long Beach, CA, that I'd stop in just to see what was new. I bought a few items there, my fave mesh jacket for one that I use a lot in Texas. I picked up several used leather jackets too.
 
Thread starter
Yellow Devil. That shop is long gone, but was a lot of fun to check out!

$10? There's an old saying in there, about the value of your head compared with a $10 helmet...

Chilly on this morning's commute, and I tried to fog up the inside of my new helmet. Pleasantly surprised at its anti-fogging capability. Guess I can use it next time I ride in San Francisco!
 
My first helmet was a used black full-face Shoei and even back then when Bell ruled the earth, it exuded a feel of quality.

Because of that experience, my second helmet was a new red full-face Shoei.
 
Back
Top