Yamaha V star 1300 touring

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am just wondering if any of you guys ever owned any of the V stars? I know two local folks who had the small 650s and they were nearly indestructible and one fellow had a 1100 which was a real good bike long term.

I was just killing time today these things can be had pretty cheap if you shop it out. They make a touring model in the 1300 which is pretty nice. These things are way cheaper than the sport touring models like the ST1300 or FJR1300. They dont have near the power and would not be as sporty but if your one up on a long trip I dont see why it would not work pretty well. Im just kicking around some ideas and wanted some opinions.

For once, I dont like the Honda offering of the 1300 interstate because the front end is raked too far out and I think that could cause some handling gremlins. Im thinking 1300 cc would be enough even on a V twin one up for some longer hauls. These things only make the horsepower of the old 750 Nighthawks but have loads more torque and it better have because its over 200 lbs heavier. Appreciate any opinions. Is this enough bike to ride cross county on one up? I am thinking its enough but would like to hear what others think.

I mean heck, a while back some fool rode a Honda Grom 125 from Texas I think to Alaska and actually made it. I just dont want to go that slow to see the country just to say I did it on a 125 with 9 horsepower.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
I am just wondering if any of you guys ever owned any of the V stars? I know two local folks who had the small 650s and they were nearly indestructible and one fellow had a 1100 which was a real good bike long term.

I was just killing time today these things can be had pretty cheap if you shop it out. They make a touring model in the 1300 which is pretty nice. These things are way cheaper than the sport touring models like the ST1300 or FJR1300. They dont have near the power and would not be as sporty but if your one up on a long trip I dont see why it would not work pretty well. Im just kicking around some ideas and wanted some opinions.

For once, I dont like the Honda offering of the 1300 interstate because the front end is raked too far out and I think that could cause some handling gremlins. Im thinking 1300 cc would be enough even on a V twin one up for some longer hauls. These things only make the horsepower of the old 750 Nighthawks but have loads more torque and it better have because its over 200 lbs heavier. Appreciate any opinions. Is this enough bike to ride cross county on one up? I am thinking its enough but would like to hear what others think.

I mean heck, a while back some fool rode a Honda Grom 125 from Texas I think to Alaska and actually made it. I just dont want to go that slow to see the country just to say I did it on a 125 with 9 horsepower.
Well. It seems to me that 750s used to be the Superbikes and a 750 with a Vetter fairing made great long distance runners so I suppose an 1100 or a 1300 is almost overpowered? I think our 1100s should make great touring bikes but I've not toured with one so I might be speaking out of turn. If I were looking for a touring bike, I'd focus less on engine size and more on great fairing and luggage options and real cruise control as must haves.
 
I wonder if NightRider realizes he quoted OldF7Guy but then didn't write anything. Is there a hidden message there? Is NightRider saying the answer is so obvious he need not write anything? In quoting OldF7 without an answer is he saying, "Search within yourself. You already have the answers to all the questions you ask"? What is the sound of one hand clapping?! C'mon NightRider, don't do this to us! Speak your wisdom plainly, loudly, so all can profit! Have I had one too many glasses of wine? Possibly.

I have never ridden a V Star but think they're beautiful bikes. Having ridden a cruiser for just over a year, however, I can say that most, if not all of them, tend to lock you into position - feet forward putting all the weight on your bum with little ability to move around in the saddle. If you invest in a good aftermarket seat (I ended up going with a Corbin Gunfighter and loved it), it helps tremendously. Still, without the ability to slide forward and back and carrying all the weight in one spot, it can get rather uncomfortable on your backside after a couple of hours. The more upright or even slightly forward position of the touring and sport-touring bikes, I feel, is much more comfortable over greater distances. Can you ride across the country on a 1300cc cruiser. No doubt in my mind that you could. Proper saddle, windscreen and bags and you'd be fine. Stop when you need to stop. Go when you need to go. Take lots of photos and share them with all of us. All is right in the world.

Edit: Okay, either I drank WAY too much wine or NightRider came back and edited his post! I suppose the alternatives are not mutually exclusive.
 
Quote:I wonder if NightRider realizes he quoted OldF7Guy but then didn't write anything. Is there a hidden message there?
Yes. The hidden message is NightRider still has not figured out all the buttons to push when posting, and probably never will...

:huh:
 
I've only test ridden one to diagnose a strange noise in a customer bike for the dealership. (had a strange gear whine when decelerating). I only rode it 25 miles but 2 things struck me immediately. One the peg placement. Guess I could get used to it, but had a devil of a time finding the pegs after leaving a light. 2 nd, when you come to a stop and went to put my feet down, my feet hit the ground way before I was expecting them to.

Engine power was fine, brakes were fine, acceleration adequate, but I swear I don't know how guys get used to that cruiser body positioning. Ergonomically it just felt so weird.

As far as power, I think they have way less power than a CB 1100. If it were me I'd rather put a clear fairing, and a set of soft luggage on the CB and ride it. Then again you could pick up a used ST 1300 for around $6K, a Bandit 1250 Suzuki for probably $4K a used FJR for $6-7K, a Concours Kaw for $ 6-7K...Especially this time of year if you are looking for a cross country sport tourer
 
While not the V-Star, I did take a month off once and took a solo trip on a Honda VT1100 Shadow, west coast to east coast (NYC), down south to Georgia and back through the southern states. At no time did I feel that I needed any more power (probably saved me a lot of speeding tickets).
I would think that the V-Star would be just fine for this kind of thing.

I had always wanted to see a 'Piggly Wiggly'. Some people in the parking lot thought I was nuts taking this picture.
 
SS did either your 1100's have a very noticeable whine whenever you let off the gas, clutch out, and just decelerated without using brakes,(compression braking) like approaching a curve, or slowing before a stop sign?
 
The ferret_imp said:
SS did either your 1100's have a very noticeable whine whenever you let off the gas, clutch out, and just decelerated without using brakes,(compression braking) like approaching a curve, or slowing before a stop sign?
I dont think so ferret, my 1st one was a 2000 and my current one is 2008 I really dont think i have noticed that, I really enjoy the bike for what it is, a low cost comfy cruiser...
 
Oh you would have noticed it, every time you let off the gas it was WHHHHHIIIINNNNNNNEEEEE, pull in clutch, noise goes away. Put it in neutral, noise goes away. Figured it wasn't normal. A week later customer traded bike in on something else..
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I've only test ridden one to diagnose a strange noise in a customer bike for the dealership. (had a strange gear whine when decelerating). I only rode it 25 miles but 2 things struck me immediately. One the peg placement. Guess I could get used to it, but had a devil of a time finding the pegs after leaving a light. 2 nd, when you come to a stop and went to put my feet down, my feet hit the ground way before I was expecting them to.

Engine power was fine, brakes were fine, acceleration adequate, but I swear I don't know how guys get used to that cruiser body positioning. Ergonomically it just felt so weird.

As far as power, I think they have way less power than a CB 1100. If it were me I'd rather put a clear fairing, and a set of soft luggage on the CB and ride it. Then again you could pick up a used ST 1300 for around $6K, a Bandit 1250 Suzuki for probably $4K a used FJR for $6-7K, a Concours Kaw for $ 6-7K...Especially this time of year if you are looking for a cross country sport tourer
Good info and a lot to think about. I am not a fan either being short leggeged and forward controls. Had them once and dont like them. I want to be part of the machine. Not a doubt in my mind these Yamaha V stars are not good motorcycles that are durable ect. Other things to think about like how it fits, price, ect.... Just kicking tires now.
 
OF7—is this as well as or instead of the 2014 CB?
 
I have a 2009 VStar 950T and have to admit I love the bike for what it is, a cheap bagger. Doesn't have the horses to be anything but a light crusier, not even close to the VStar 1300T's motor and the floor boards are positioned too low for any kind of leaning but accepting the lack of power and lean angle I find the bike a great ride.
Love the low riding position
Don't find the floor boards to be too forward at all.
It has a nice exhaust note even with stock pipes.
The wheels are mags not spokes.
The fenders are metal not plastic.
I'm also a fan of the air cooled motor.

I'm certain the VStar 1300T's motor is worth going for, demoed a Stryker with the same 1300 engine and loved it but I find the 950's layout better.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
OF7—is this as well as or instead of the 2014 CB?
Oh no. The CB11 is a keeper and I was just thinking ahead a few years down the road. After pondering on it a bit I think something like a Suzuki Bandit 1250 would be more to my liking. Even over a ST1300 because of weight. The trend developing here is that I like inline 4s for what ever reason. I think the Suzi has been discontinued in the states but there are a lot of good ones for sale used.

After Ferret mentioned the Bandit I read up on it a bit and its a lot like the CB11 with a lot of low end usable power which is what I use most of the time and not a high end screamer like the FZ1 Yamaha. More than enough power for my old a@@. I just think I would like this type of motorcycle better than the run of the mill cruiser. No offense to anybody has that has a V star or any other cruiser but its just a preference.

Plus, the seat height on the Bandit was not outrageous. That is always a big concern for me being so short along with weight. I sat on the new CTX1300 and it was really too big and heavy for me. I could ride it but now sure I could ever be comfortable with it. I know my limitations especially at my age. I hate tall people. :D
 
The Bandit was in my list if I couldn't lay hands on a CB. Good looking bikes.
 
Back
Top