Yamaha SR400

RLS_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
A friend of mine bought a Yamaha SR400. It is a 2015 -2017. Unbelievably he paid the same price for that bike as I did for my CB. Go figure. Anyhow, he wants to get some slip on exhaust to increase the sound. Has anyone owned one of these bikes and would have a recommendation? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
 
I still have the stock exhaust, which is a lovely lump of chrome. your friend will find slip-ons on the weblike site, though no help for potential sound.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yamahas always seem to command a premium, but this is not a good example of comparing apples to apples. Indeed strange.
That's interesting. It must be a Canada thing, because around here they're no more desirable than any other brand, though I do agree some of their model styles are unique only to them.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Yamahas always seem to command a premium, but this is not a good example of comparing apples to apples. Indeed strange.
That's interesting. It must be a Canada thing, because around here they're no more desirable than any other brand, though I do agree some of their model styles are unique only to them.
That's interesting. It must be a Canada thing, because around here they're no more desirable than any other brand, though I do agree some of their model styles are unique only to them.
Yeah, I actually don't understand it. I have had four Yamahas and at the time I didn't think they were better than Honda. Maybe Suzuki, probably Kawasaki. I know many claim Yamahas are "edgier" in performance, but you can say that about a Kawi. Anyway, today I believe the other three have similar quality attributes, whereas Honda - in particular the CB - is a cut above (in terms of build quality, fit and finish).
 
Whatever may be the case with Yamaha's pricing generally, the potential purchaser of a bike is likely shopping for a specific model. The SR400 seems to bring out the same comment every time--too expensive for what it is. (and "what it is" here means "a small thumper without as much horsepower, electronics etc" as some other bike the commenter has in mind). But the hypothetical shopper for a new, authentically retro small displacement single UJM in the US has only a few viable choices--the SR400 at $5999, the Suzuki TU250x at $6999, and the Royal Enfield Bullet 500 or some variant, which start at around $4999 and head northward. Their new twins are priced competitively, if the buyer doesn't insist on Japanese manufacture and a wide dealer network. Sure, the buyer could get something that isn't retro or isn't small or isn't new for the money, but in the real world people want what they want, and their valuations reflect their budget, their desire, and the options that appear to be actual competition for their $. Manufacturers try to set prices that way: perceived desire for their target audience will encourage them to raise the price, but competition will push it down. And if a manufacturer consistently overpriced all their products in a way that wasn't perceived by buyers as justified by quality or prestige, it would soon go out of business. Evidence suggests that, whatever we feel about the price of this bike or that, big global manufacturers like Yamaha and Honda kinda know what they're doing.
 
Totally agree with the leveraging of marketing psychology.

Of course, we here at the CB Forum are too aware of such subliminal tactics. I mean really? - - Who would want an authentic, simple, ultra low maintenance, spunky, tidy-as-a-button, a harken to yesteryear, heart-string pulling, single thumper like the SR400?
 
When this bike debuted in 2015, there was considerable conversation about what a great platform it was for customization and this particular photo really grabbed my attention.

ff9e27a42790043366e837978aa5e4f9.jpg


Unfortunately, there turned out to be very little in the way of accessories readily available. If Yamaha had produced a version similar to the photo, it would definitely have found a place in my stable.
 
baxtercat_imp said:
Whatever may be the case with Yamaha's pricing generally, the potential purchaser of a bike is likely shopping for a specific model. The SR400 seems to bring out the same comment every time--too expensive for what it is. (and "what it is" here means "a small thumper without as much horsepower, electronics etc" as some other bike the commenter has in mind). But the hypothetical shopper for a new, authentically retro small displacement single UJM in the US has only a few viable choices--the SR400 at $5999, the Suzuki TU250x at $6999, and the Royal Enfield Bullet 500 or some variant, which start at around $4999 and head northward. Their new twins are priced competitively, if the buyer doesn't insist on Japanese manufacture and a wide dealer network. Sure, the buyer could get something that isn't retro or isn't small or isn't new for the money, but in the real world people want what they want, and their valuations reflect their budget, their desire, and the options that appear to be actual competition for their $. Manufacturers try to set prices that way: perceived desire for their target audience will encourage them to raise the price, but competition will push it down. And if a manufacturer consistently overpriced all their products in a way that wasn't perceived by buyers as justified by quality or prestige, it would soon go out of business. Evidence suggests that, whatever we feel about the price of this bike or that, big global manufacturers like Yamaha and Honda kinda know what they're doing.
Your point about limited choices for bikes similar to the SR400 is valid, but an on-line check shows the MSRP for a 2018 Suzuki TU250x is only $4599. About a year ago I saw a couple of second hand TU250s with low miles for around 2500.
 
oops, you're right. must have been looking at the Australian site. and you're also correct that MSRP--the price people complain about--is not the same as what you may actually pay the dealership. I paid quite a bit less than 6k for my SR400. A used bike is yet another way to save over list, of course.
 
Has any forum member spent considerable saddle time on a TU250? I'd be curious about their thoughts re:
- Engine
- subjective question, but do you feel engine power is adequate?
- how well balanced? Minimal vibes?
Suspension
- relatively soft and compliant with a 150-180# rider on board?
Build quality
- similar to Honda quality?
Normal riding territory
- a grocery getter, not much more?
- commuter for to and from work?
- a lightweight day rider with average ride being between 100 - 200 miles?
- a lightweight weekend ride?
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Has any forum member spent considerable saddle time on a TU250? I'd be curious about their thoughts re:
- Engine
- subjective question, but do you feel engine power is adequate?
- how well balanced? Minimal vibes?
Suspension
- relatively soft and compliant with a 150-180# rider on board?
Build quality
- similar to Honda quality?
Normal riding territory
- a grocery getter, not much more?
- commuter for to and from work?
- a lightweight day rider with average ride being between 100 - 200 miles?
- a lightweight weekend ride?
+1. Same for opinion of thread subject SR400 - if anyone has/had one.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Has any forum member spent considerable saddle time on a TU250? I'd be curious about their thoughts re:
- Engine
- subjective question, but do you feel engine power is adequate?
- how well balanced? Minimal vibes?
Suspension
- relatively soft and compliant with a 150-180# rider on board?
Build quality
- similar to Honda quality?
Normal riding territory
- a grocery getter, not much more?
- commuter for to and from work?
- a lightweight day rider with average ride being between 100 - 200 miles?
- a lightweight weekend ride?
I had a used 2011 TU250X and regret selling it. Here's what I think:
Engine is a sweetheart - power is surprisingly good and it's very smooth. The fuel injection makes it easy starting with no flat spots or glitches in the powerband. It would happily do 65mph all day, with a GPS-verified top speed of about 72. High rpm power was less than my CBR250R but it pulled better in normal riding. The Honda had about 15mph more top speed, but it took a long time to get up there over 65, and it had much more vibration in the bars.

Suspension seemed fine, a tiny bit plush for my 250 pounds, should be just right for your weight. (I tried a set of adjustable dampening Hagons and found them no real improvement). Braking and handling were fine too.

I've had as many recent Suzukis as Hondas and Triumphs, and build quality and design details are almost equal. (The bar has been raised for all the major brands, but still, bikes like the Gold Wing and CB1100 stand out).

The bike has a long wheelbase and I didn't feel cramped on it. It was a willing, pleasant bike that you could ride anywhere, although I had to stay in the right lanes of LA's freeways.

As stupid as this sounds, I sold it because I enjoyed it more than my other bikes and they sat for weeks, while the TU was so easy to just jump on for errands and local rides less than 100 miles. They aren't sold new in California, so used ones rarely show up here.
 
PKDuck: Thanks for sharing your opinion and experience. There is something special about a ride where you just hop'n'go. I saw several crisp new TU250Xs in Tuscon, AZ and, although a tad small for my frame, they are still interesting to gawk at.
 
Back
Top