Ya know what I think would be hilarious

12cb96vfr_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've been thinking for months about which direction I want to take my CB in....do I wanna leave it stock, cafe it, make it more touring friendly?? Then i was out goofing off with a buddy on a ZRX1100 and it hit me.

Let me explain...We were way out in the middle of nowhere and he wanted to see what the CB would do against his mighty Rex. We slow down and put them in 2nd and pinned it - the CB stayed neck and neck all the way to 4th when we let off. You could tell he was shocked. LOL in all fairness I was kinda shocked myself!

I started thinking- it would be pretty damn funny if I turned this thing into the ultimate sleeper. Lookswise who would suspect the innocent looking, retro, you meet the nicest people on a Honda CB! And I bet with some simple tinkering this thing could be a little stoplight-to-stoplight screamer.

I was talkin to a different buddy today whose bigtime into drag racing, he put a 40-shot of Nitrous on his gixxer 1k and said it was insane. LOL the wheels started turning in my mind.

You could have a ball on this thing with a new airbox, free-flowing exhaust, PCV (with 2 maps) and a lil 40-shot. WOW, I bet you could win some money messing with unsuspecting 600s and hopped-up cruisers hahahahaa
 
On the flip side, I'm having a hard time just getting out of my driveway this time of year with the wet leaves gathering there, I can barely control the application of just a few horsepower until I get out on the well traveled street. I love the autumn, but the wet leaves left behind just suck. Just imagine some nitrous kicking in — I might end up in the living room of the neighbor across the street.
 
I know the CB is just "Corked Up". The airbox and filter is the most restrictive combo I have ever seen on a streetbike and the cat is gigantic.

Getting an air cooled engine to pass emissions and noise standards is pretty difficult these days, the bikes are leaned out soo much that they stumble, huge mufflers (Look at the trashcan attached to a Yamaha Warrior) cats and airpumps all choke an engine out.
 
Yeah....but the insurance is MUUUUCH cheaper for the CB. :D
 
Thread starter
main word - sleeper.

Sure I can get a zx14 and be fast as all get out, just like the 25 other guys at bike nite and the 50 other guys at the drag strip.

But the guy on the unsuspecting lil CB that gets a jump on a 600, 750 or maybe a 1k?? now that is something special.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Yeah....but the insurance is MUUUUCH cheaper for the CB. :D
You got that right. When I called the Geko, their first quote was almost $3k per year. That was way more than my DL1000, which is essentially a liter sports bike with delusions of being an ADV. So I asked for a supervisor and explained the CB is NOT the same as a CBR1000. He went to the Honda website and came back with a new quote for under $300.
 
12cb96vfr_imp said:
main word - sleeper.

Sure I can get a zx14 and be fast as all get out, just like the 25 other guys at bike nite and the 50 other guys at the drag strip.

But the guy on the unsuspecting lil CB that gets a jump on a 600, 750 or maybe a 1k?? now that is something special.
While it's fun to fantasize about, you're never going to beat a liter bike on this thing. Liter bikes are running about 160+hp, and weigh almost 100lbs less. Even if you catch him flat-footed, the thing revs to the moon instantly. You're only hope is he crashes. Perhaps an unsuspecting 600. I wouldn't want to put nitrous on an air-cooled engine, though.
 
Most of this sort of riding comes down to the skill set of the rider. You would be better off getting training on the track and getting good tires than engine work. Any idgit can go fast in a straight line but the fun is in the corners and most folks can't ride the bikes' limit in the corners (and we're assuming for the moment that riding that way on the street is somewhat safe and we know that is not the case what with sand, gravel, texting drivers, oil, deer, squids etc. ).

What is nice about skills; you can use them on any bike you ride; unlike bike mods where you have to start over again with each bike.
 
Thread starter
riding the curves is awesome - and I'm not a rookie by any means (the CB isn't my only bike). But writing off drag racing as "any idgit can run fast in a straight line" is absolutely absurd.

And obviously the CB isn't going to run a liter bike or a 14 - thanks for the heads up SMFH.

Sighhhh I guess having fun and talking about different types of bikes/riding styles/types of mods is discouraged on this forum.

Wouldn't it be insanely boring if we all rode the same thing? Same way? Same everything? I'll go back to my facebook group where we all have fun, don't take anything too seriously and enjoy our awesome machines - later fellas!
 
Wow..... and winter has just started. It is going to be a long winter it seems :(
 
Rboe_imp said:
Most of this sort of riding comes down to the skill set of the rider. You would be better off getting training on the track and getting good tires than engine work. Any idgit can go fast in a straight line but the fun is in the corners and most folks can't ride the bikes' limit in the corners (and we're assuming for the moment that riding that way on the street is somewhat safe and we know that is not the case what with sand, gravel, texting drivers, oil, deer, squids etc. ).

What is nice about skills; you can use them on any bike you ride; unlike bike mods where you have to start over again with each bike.
Wisely said :thumbsup:
 
Rboe_imp said:
Most of this sort of riding comes down to the skill set of the rider. You would be better off getting training on the track and getting good tires than engine work. Any idgit can go fast in a straight line but the fun is in the corners and most folks can't ride the bikes' limit in the corners (and we're assuming for the moment that riding that way on the street is somewhat safe and we know that is not the case what with sand, gravel, texting drivers, oil, deer, squids etc. ).

What is nice about skills; you can use them on any bike you ride; unlike bike mods where you have to start over again with each bike.
I want to see an image of a [natural] squid on the road.

Where does that happen? Coastal roads somewhere in Asia?
 
Lol who keeps bringing up these 6 year old threads? Nothing NEW to talk about?
 
Those Bernie memes are hilarious!
 
12cb96vfr_imp said:
I've been thinking for months about which direction I want to take my CB in....do I wanna leave it stock, cafe it, make it more touring friendly?? Then i was out goofing off with a buddy on a ZRX1100 and it hit me.

Let me explain...We were way out in the middle of nowhere and he wanted to see what the CB would do against his mighty Rex. We slow down and put them in 2nd and pinned it - the CB stayed neck and neck all the way to 4th when we let off. You could tell he was shocked. LOL in all fairness I was kinda shocked myself!

I started thinking- it would be pretty damn funny if I turned this thing into the ultimate sleeper. Lookswise who would suspect the innocent looking, retro, you meet the nicest people on a Honda CB! And I bet with some simple tinkering this thing could be a little stoplight-to-stoplight screamer.

I was talkin to a different buddy today whose bigtime into drag racing, he put a 40-shot of Nitrous on his gixxer 1k and said it was insane. LOL the wheels started turning in my mind.

You could have a ball on this thing with a new airbox, free-flowing exhaust, PCV (with 2 maps) and a lil 40-shot. WOW, I bet you could win some money messing with unsuspecting 600s and hopped-up cruisers hahahahaa
Not that I need to tune up my CB the next couple of days, or that I have much experience in tuning, but do you really think airbox and pipes would make such a difference if ECU parameters weren't adapted at the same time ? ok, more gas, more oxygen, but if the timing is out of sync with revs and the engine sensors send the wrong inputs ?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol who keeps bringing up these 6 year old threads? Nothing NEW to talk about?
A good news is always worth to refresh and keep this forum alive, mostly in winter, I guess, no? :D
 
Back
Top