Wow, this one is worth the high asking price

Thread starter
I imagine they changed the oil once per year. I'm not sure that is required but it seems I've read that you don't go by miles on a low use vehicle but rather by time elapsed.
 
okredneck_imp said:

I suspect it's because the bike was started and run once a month (as opposed to being ridden). Smart move. Air cooled bikes have larger clearances between the piston and cylinder wall to allow for expansion of the metals at higher temperatures. When you start a cold air cooled engine, a certain amount of acids and moisture (natural byproducts of combustion) will blow through the gaps in the cold cylinders, to be deposited in the crankcase.

If you rode the bike and got it up to normal operating temperature, the moisture would vaporize and be purged through the crankcase ventilation system. If the bike isn't ridden (which seems to be the case here), that acidic moisture would collect in the crankcase and eat at the unprotected metal. Changing the oil once a year to get rid of the accumulated gunk is a very good idea.
 
Back
Top