RockHop_imp
Running like a top
Thread starter
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
What he said. ABS is a new development as far as even being an option. We've been buying bikes without it all along.The ferret_imp said:ABS is really just catching on with U.S. riders. For the most part U.S. riders haven't wanted ABS on their bikes, that is why it has always been a upcharge option here in the states, and come standard in other countries around the world. It will take government intrusion to get ABS mandatory on motorcycles here I'm afraid. In this country Americans don't want the extra weight, expense, or complexity and many feel they can brake better without it, whether they can or not.
Doubt the CB would have been a better seller had ABS come standard.
As a general statement that may be true, but I wonder if it is true for the generally (see forum age poll results below) older* folks who actually buy the CB1100?The ferret_imp said:ABS is really just catching on with U.S. riders. For the most part U.S. riders haven't wanted ABS on their bikes, that is why it has always been a upcharge option here in the states, and come standard in other countries around the world. It will take government intrusion to get ABS mandatory on motorcycles here I'm afraid. In this country Americans don't want the extra weight, expense, or complexity and many feel they can brake better without it, whether they can or not.
Doubt the CB would have been a better seller had ABS come standard.

I wonder how much riding experience goes with the age percentages? Like Mr. Ferret mentioned, those of us with decades of riding under our belts don't put as big an emphasis on ABS. It's that attitude that we haven't had it before, so why pay for it now. Not to mention the added complexity.RockHop_imp said:As a general statement that may be true, but I wonder if it is true for the generally (see forum age poll results below) older* folks who actually buy the CB1100?The ferret_imp said:ABS is really just catching on with U.S. riders. For the most part U.S. riders haven't wanted ABS on their bikes, that is why it has always been a upcharge option here in the states, and come standard in other countries around the world. It will take government intrusion to get ABS mandatory on motorcycles here I'm afraid. In this country Americans don't want the extra weight, expense, or complexity and many feel they can brake better without it, whether they can or not.
Doubt the CB would have been a better seller had ABS come standard.
* I'm 65, so I can say older
CB1100 forum age poll
16-25 3.35%
26-35 12.94%
36-45 16.13%
46-55 29.53%
56-65 29.83%
66-75 7.46%
75+ 0.76%

I always enjoy reading Ulvetanna's comments. I think he captured the essence of why someone does or doesn't buy the CB1100 and the availability of ABS is probably a minor consideration for most. Maybe the greater mystery is why some people want to sell their CB1100 after relatively few miles.Ulvetanna_imp said:What he said. ABS is a new development as far as even being an option. We've been buying bikes without it all along.The ferret_imp said:ABS is really just catching on with U.S. riders. For the most part U.S. riders haven't wanted ABS on their bikes, that is why it has always been a upcharge option here in the states, and come standard in other countries around the world. It will take government intrusion to get ABS mandatory on motorcycles here I'm afraid. In this country Americans don't want the extra weight, expense, or complexity and many feel they can brake better without it, whether they can or not.
Doubt the CB would have been a better seller had ABS come standard.
The CB1100 has a limited appeal. There are many other bikes for the same or less money that are completely modern, with a lot more power, handling and features. The CB1000R comes to mind, FZ8, FZ09, Versys, and so on.
The CB1100 really is a "vintage" bike, air-cooled, frequent valve inspection intervals, limited power, heavy, narrow wheels, and so on. The fantastic brakes, excellent fuel injection, light, easy handling, versatility, and relative simplicity and low cost of ownership don't reveal themselves until a few miles down the highway. It has to reach out and grab the buyer on the showroom floor and unless that buyer likes old-school styling and what seems to be old technology, they'll take a pass, and they did. I am quite happy I got mine back in 2013. It has worn very well and fares favorably when ridden back to back with some very modern stuff I have parked alongside it.
I like it because it is what it is but for the rider who needs value and features the CB1100 doesn't look like a good choice. It actually IS a good choice but does not seem that way.
I couldn't agree more!! I guess I'm part of the minority here, but the very idea of ABS has never sat well with me. In fact, it's the ONLY complaint I have about my 2014 DLX...I actually hate the fact that it came with ABS and that it can't be removed or disabled. On the other hand, I suppose since that's my only complaint about the bike, things could be worse, eh? All the same, if it were possible to rip the ABS system out and throw it away, I would do it in a heartbeat. (BTW, 55 years old with quite a bit less experience than many of the members here, from what I can gather...)Ulvetanna_imp said:The troubling thing about all this is that not many riders start in the dirt or on small bikes any more. They have no idea how to control a slide on either wheel and are relying on ABS to handle everything. And all it does is to release the brake to avoid a skid. There are more ABS bikes on the road than ever before, especially in the large displacement categories, and yet this is where we see more accidents than ever.
Motorcycle riding is a fading art: that lovely, delicate balance of floating between the two contact patches, managing brakes, throttle, body position, drifting, leaping, cavorting on a machine that feels a part of you. This calls to mind Malcolm Smith; there's a [url=http://www.themalcolmbook.com/new/the_book.htm]fine biography on the man written by Mitch Boehm. Reading about Smith, or Spencer, or Roberts is soon going to be like reading about the pioneers, or Wyatt Earp.