Woodcraft clip on adapter - anyone interested?

Ferrealls_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Spoke with Eric Wood, President of Woodcraft today about clip on adapters for the CB1100. It was the first request he had for any parts for this bike. He says it would take 25 orders to break even on the R&D for him. Let me know if you're interested. Maybe we can get an order going.

Shout out to kmoney for pointing these out to me.

This is the adapter plate on a Ducati Monster. They also make them for FZ07, FZ09 and Ninja 650.

 
I might be. The clip-ons available at Japan.webike.net are $100 plus shipping. Any idea how much the Woodcrafts would cost?
 
Thread starter
The adapter runs about $160. Bars are an additional $80. That's what it looks like based on the other setups they supply.
 
I would be in 100 percent in for this. That's awesome that you (Ferrealls) bothered to go to next steps with this. I knew they did custom batch orders, but I didn't think the min number would be that low.
 
Thread starter
dr_rock_imp said:
Hi Ferrealls, what would be the advantage of the Woodcrafts over the other ones that are already available?
The woodcraft adapter is basically a bridge riser for all intents and purposes. Mostly it's to add clip ons with a riser with a better look. It's really more about aesthetics than functionality. Normal clip ons will interfere with the tank because they are so low. I personally don't like the look of clip ons with a riser. Plus the adapter covers up the original mounting location so you wont have to buy plugs.
 
What are your thoughts on these. They clear the tank and use existing controls.
ade0bdee10bb745158db5b2548f75702.jpg

 
Thread starter
See I don't like that. But that's just my preference. The way they shoot up from the forks with those large risers is an eyesore to me. And that leaves the bridge open. The adapter, for me, would give it a more complete look and would flow with the bike lines better. Again, it's just my preference, but those remind of adding ape hangers to a sportster. Not to mention they ride about the same height as the stock bar. I'm looking for something lower.
 
On a stock Ducati Monster ( my son has one) the switches go into those little screened indents in the tank. If those dents weren't there the switches would hit the tank. You sure a set up like that would clear the tank on a CB?
 
Clip ons with risers defeat the prime rationale for clip ons. To lower the rider's body for aero, and put weight over the front for composure and handling. The ones on that white CB are quite ridiculous.

Clip ons do look cool, but they should be below or closely above the the triple tree for functional and, imho, aesthetic purposes.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
On a stock Ducati Monster ( my son has one) the switches go into those little screened indents in the tank. If those dents weren't there the switches would hit the tank. You sure a set up like that would clear the tank on a CB?
No, I'm not sure. That depends on the adapter plate. If the plate is set up to push the clip ons forward from the stock clamps, then it should be ok. My ultra low renthals in the stock clamps touch the tank when I crank the bars. But, if they were moved forward 1-2" I'd have the clearance I need. That's what stemmed all this.

I'm hoping I can be involved in the design phase if woodcraft goes for it. It's not looking like we'll hit the 25 mark. As a mechanical/aerospace engineer I do a lot of design work. Coming up with a bracket that will fit my needs shouldn't pose to much of a problem. I'll most likely design my own and have it built at my fab shop. Was just hoping to have something professionally made and distributed to help others out.
 
I agree. I wonder if these could be rotated forward and slid down the tubes. I think they made them this way to clear the tank and use existing controls, wires, hoses... But the esthetic is bad.
 
Thread starter
dr_rock_imp said:
I agree. I wonder if these could be rotated forward and slid down the tubes. I think they made them this way to clear the tank and use existing controls, wires, hoses... But the esthetic is bad.
I wondered the same thing, but you'd have to slide them down a few inches and I don't wan't anything impeding fork travel.

Those aren't the only clip ons you can get. Any 41mm clip ons will work. Those are just specifically made for the CB. Woodcraft does make clip ons with risers.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=CORI

This was more about the adapter plate.
 
Again, I know I suggested these on the other thread and nobody bit, but to me they're much more attractive than the adapter plate or z-ish bars above. Yes, the bar height is slightly above the triple clamps but they're legit clip-ons, and they clearly work. This appears to be as low as you can go without taking a hammer to the tank...

Roughly ~$330 USD at current exchange rates...so not cheap, but I think the aesthetic is more in line with the retro look. Carbon fiber, anodized aluminum parts, or CNC'd adapter plates take away from that IMO.

http://www.samurider.com/?p=14513

cf442d700d32f22e6040ef868cc93ba7.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Grover, I like the looks of these quite a bit. They are clean, get the hands forward and lower, and I like the clean look showing the chrome without the bracket (similar to the clean look of the Ducati Sport Classic photo above).
 
Back
Top