Won?t start?

bsavoy04_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Brought my CB inside a few weeks ago to ride out hurricane Barry. Yesterday when I was brining it outside I could not get it to start.
The key works, all lights come on. The kill switch is off yet when I press the start button, the lights go off and come back on. Nothing happens?!?!?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Are you sure the battery is good? Cause it sounds like a bad or discharged battery.

If you have a meter you can check this easily by metering the battery voltage as you press the starter switch and see what the voltage drops to.
 
Thread starter
I don’t have a meter unfortunately, all my good tools got “lost” during my divorce lol. Didn’t think I’d have battery issues with the bike only being a little over a year old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sounds an awful lot like a battery. Get a cheap voltage tester (I think you can get one free with coupon at Harbor Freight or get one there for a few bucks).

Exactly what mine did when the battery went.
 
Bsavoy, Please don't think it can't be the battery. Every one of these threads with these symptoms starts with it can't be the battery, has to be something else. And after a boat load of posts, its the battery.

Do what Gone says. Buy a cheap tester or meter and test. Modern batteries can and do fail early. Usually with little or no warning. And you post indicates that when a heavy load (starter) is applied the voltage is dropping due to a bad or discharged battery. Or possibly loose or corroded connections at the battery. But its the battery. :-/
 
It’s a 2014 model, isn’t it? Wonder how old the battery actually is?
 
Thread starter
I will take the battery out and go get a new one this weekend and we what happens.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Good grief I think you have to have tiny hands to get that battery out. My big hands can barely fit in the compartment


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
There is supposed to be a strap around the battery so you can lift it out easily. If it's not there, check the bottom of the battery tray when you get it out.


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Definitely did not have a strap! I went to the local batteries plus and they wanted $126 for a dang battery. I found one on amazon for 40 bucks so hopefully it comes in soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
my battery has a strap.

Honda Service Bulletin says for mechanics to leave it in there when prepping the bike

0bbfa1e3ea1f8d614737ce546d89d617.jpg
 
Looking at the dealer prep instructions ,I wonder if my bike didn’t come with a battery strap, did they read to remove protective coating from the exhaust ? I think not.
 
Just to be sure, you mention " the kill switch is off ";

It needs to be " on" ( pushed down towards you ) for the bike to start, if it is rocked away from you ( off ) the engine will not start but the lights will dim whilst the starter button is pushed but nothing happens.

The green neutral light must also be on unless the clutch lever is pulled in in order to start.
 
My battery has the strap. That no-name $40 Amazon battery should be just fine. That's what I use in all my bikes and they work great and last for years.
 
Back
Top