Wiring an aftermarket Lucas tail light

donnyv_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I received my Lucas style tail light today. We have 3 conductors going into the OEM tail light. Only 2 wires on the after market light. Without a wiring diagram, (Thank you Honda, back in the day every owners manual had a wiring diagram.) I can't hook up the light without blowing fuses when hitting the brakes. Can someone tell me what worked for them. I remember someone mentioning installing the same light but there were no instructions. I'm sure this is very basic but I'm trying to expedite the project and have everything buttoned up by tomorrow morning. Can anyone please help?
 
Donny,

I'm in College Station, TX for the A&M-Alabama football game so I can't look at my bike right now to tell you how it's wired. I'll be home on Monday and if you still need help I'll do it. I did blow several fuses before I got it right.

Chip
 
donnyv_imp said:
I received my Lucas style tail light today. We have 3 conductors going into the OEM tail light. Only 2 wires on the after market light. Without a wiring diagram, (Thank you Honda, back in the day every owners manual had a wiring diagram.) I can't hook up the light without blowing fuses when hitting the brakes. Can someone tell me what worked for them. I remember someone mentioning installing the same light but there were no instructions. I'm sure this is very basic but I'm trying to expedite the project and have everything buttoned up by tomorrow morning. Can anyone please help?
red lucas lite wire connects to bikes black/brown tail lite harness wire for tail/running lite. black lucas lite wire connects to bikes green/yellow tail lite harness wire for stop lite . lucas lite grounds through mounting bolts to the rear fender to the frame.
Paul.
 
vfrpaul98_imp said:
donnyv_imp said:
I received my Lucas style tail light today. We have 3 conductors going into the OEM tail light. Only 2 wires on the after market light. Without a wiring diagram, (Thank you Honda, back in the day every owners manual had a wiring diagram.) I can't hook up the light without blowing fuses when hitting the brakes. Can someone tell me what worked for them. I remember someone mentioning installing the same light but there were no instructions. I'm sure this is very basic but I'm trying to expedite the project and have everything buttoned up by tomorrow morning. Can anyone please help?
red lucas lite wire connects to bikes black/brown tail lite harness wire for tail/running lite. black lucas lite wire connects to bikes green/yellow tail lite harness wire for stop lite . lucas lite grounds through mounting bolts to the rear fender to the frame.
Paul.
red lucas lite wire connects to bikes black/brown tail lite harness wire for tail/running lite. black lucas lite wire connects to bikes green/yellow tail lite harness wire for stop lite . lucas lite grounds through mounting bolts to the rear fender to the frame.
Paul.
Old post but thought I'd point out that in my installment the correct wiring is exactly the opposite of what's stated above. Red connects to Green yellow and black connects to black brown.
 
There was some discussion that the wiring on some(all?) '14s was reversed from the wiring diagram.
 
Yes I noticed this and reported the turn signal difference in difference between the 2013 std and the 2014 Dlx. So much for Honda qaqc


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Either way, when installing the Lucas light it's simple enough to wire it one way, ground it then test. The bright is the stop and the dim is the running.
 
If they are Lucas Lights made for Brit bikes then they may be wired for a Positive Earth. When you add that to fact that the rear end indicators are reversed from what they should be, on my '14, then you may well be better off with out a diagram and use a meter. Or buy a big of fuses...
 
I found out the hard way about British electrics on my 500 Triumph. The spark plug coils were under the tank mounted with cheap alloy brackets. One of the brackets broke and the coil touched the tank. That threw the timing off and seized the pistons. I was 370 miles from home in Laconia, NH at the time. That Turnip was the only motorcycle I ever owned that left me stranded.

I owned two BSA Lightnings and they never gave me a problem.
 
I had a BSA 750 triple. No problems with electrics while I owned it, but keeping oil INSIDE the cases was an excercise in frustration. Every pair of levis I owned had a permanantly stained left shin.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I had a BSA 750 triple. No problems with electrics while I owned it, but keeping oil INSIDE the cases was an excercise in frustration. Every pair of levis I owned had a permanantly stained left shin.
I don't about the triples, but the Lightning had a built in chain oiler that nobody knew about. Inside the primary chain case was a small pocket. A channel at the bottom of the pocket led to a small rubber hose above the drive chain. The primary chain was bathed in oil. As it spun it threw oil in the pocket that dripped down onto the drive chain, and it threw oil all over the place.

When I rebuilt the motors of my two Lightnings, I dropped a bead of solder into the bottom of the pocket to seal it closed. No more greasy side down.

The chain was simple lubricated with motor oil from a small oil can. When the engine oil was changed, the chain was removed and boiled in it. It was then hung on the clothes line with a coat hanger to let the excess run off. Today's tree huggers would faint if they knew what we did with the motor oil after that. :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top