Winter sunshine in Cheshire, UK

Oxfords should be available in England and easy to install, work great.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Oxfords should be available in England and easy to install, work great.
Yes they are available. Can't say I'm a fan of the big control switch myself, but I'll see how much the Honda dealer wants to charge for OEM before I decide what to do.
Rocky_imp said:
Great looking bike and green grass this time of year, wow!
Yep. That's the upside of the rain we get! ;)
 
Richard_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Oxfords should be available in England and easy to install, work great.
Yes they are available. Can't say I'm a fan of the big control switch myself, but I'll see how much the Honda dealer wants to charge for OEM before I decide what to do.
Rocky_imp said:
Great looking bike and green grass this time of year, wow!
Yep. That's the upside of the rain we get! ;)
Yes they are available. Can't say I'm a fan of the big control switch myself, but I'll see how much the Honda dealer wants to charge for OEM before I decide what to do.
Yea things like that don't bother me, I'm more of a function over form guy. Had them on my Honda ST 1300 and thought they were the bomb.

My FJR (which I ride when it's really cold or wet) has factory heated grips, and honestly they are not as handy or effective as the Oxfords were (for me). I have to go into a menu board to change heat levels and although 10 heat levels are available, you only get to choose 3 of them to use. I think I am using 20%, 50% and 80% right now.
 
Very smart looking bike; I like the little splash of gold/black striping on the tank. The silver/chrome of engine, exhaust, wheels, shocks...pretty much everything "low" really combines well with the tank, covers and fenders. Or maybe it is the grass that makes everything look quite fresh!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Richard_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Oxfords should be available in England and easy to install, work great.
Yes they are available. Can't say I'm a fan of the big control switch myself, but I'll see how much the Honda dealer wants to charge for OEM before I decide what to do.
Rocky_imp said:
Great looking bike and green grass this time of year, wow!
Yep. That's the upside of the rain we get! ;)
Yes they are available. Can't say I'm a fan of the big control switch myself, but I'll see how much the Honda dealer wants to charge for OEM before I decide what to do.
Yea things like that don't bother me, I'm more of a function over form guy. Had them on my Honda ST 1300 and thought they were the bomb.

My FJR (which I ride when it's really cold or wet) has factory heated grips, and honestly they are not as handy or effective as the Oxfords were (for me). I have to go into a menu board to change heat levels and although 10 heat levels are available, you only get to choose 3 of them to use. I think I am using 20%, 50% and 80% right now.
Yeah, If I was sensible I'd stick to my GS in this weather. That has excellent heated grips and hand protectors, so cold hands are not an issue.

But I just got the CB so I gotta use it!

By the way, I agree with you about the FJR. The menu is ok but the grip heating would ideally be on a stand-alone switch.
 
Heated gloves (cable free) is another option that won't fuss with the bike. I use them routinely is sub-zero rides. They can be used for non-riding assignments too, and on other people's bikes for that matter.

- - -

That is one pleasant winter scene. What was the riding temperature?
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Heated gloves (cable free) is another option that won't fuss with the bike. I use them routinely is sub-zero rides. They can be used for non-riding assignments too, and on other people's bikes for that matter.

- - -

That is one pleasant winter scene. What was the riding temperature?
Yeah, heated gloves are another option - particularly as they are portable.

As for the temp, it was about 4 or 5 Celsius, which is around 40 degrees in old money.
 
Yea, even though I love riding my CB, I realize I have a bike made for riding in nasty weather that cost a lot of money, so that's the one I should ride when it's nasty (the work horse) and save the CB (the pleasure horse) for when the weather is nice. Not to say the CB doesn't get ridden in bad weather, (heck it gets ridden all year round) but when it gets in the 30's and below, with rain or snow I ride the FJR.

Headed out right now, temp is 38 degrees F, roads are wet from yesterday's rain, and it's supposed to rain again in 4 hours, so the workhorse gets the call.
 
Nice 'bike and pics, Richard. ;)
Some great roads to ride up there too.

I'm with GO... heated grips were never that much good as far as I'm concerned - the backs of my hands cold and the palms warm?? :(

These new "wireless" heated gloves are the way to go (imho). All the advantages of heated gloves without the wiring hassles. And not a lot more money than heated grips , with no installation work. AND they move with you from 'bike to 'bike!

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to make your own heated gloves/clothing and SO cheap too. Use lengths of Constantan wire, connected to your battery... ;)
 
Thread starter
Bazbro_imp said:
Nice 'bike and pics, Richard. ;)
Some great roads to ride up there too.

I'm with GO... heated grips were never that much good as far as I'm concerned - the backs of my hands cold and the palms warm?? :(

These new "wireless" heated gloves are the way to go (imho). All the advantages of heated gloves without the wiring hassles. And not a lot more money than heated grips , with no installation work. AND they move with you from 'bike to 'bike!

You wouldn't believe how easy it is to make your own heated gloves/clothing and SO cheap too. Use lengths of Constantan wire, connected to your battery... ;)
Making my own heated clothing... maybe a step too far. :)
 
.
It really is easy, Richard.

Use Constantan resistance wire. Measure out a length that, when connected to 12v, warms to the appropriate temperature. Thread these wires (probably four or five lengths will be enough - two sleeves, two on front/kidneys, one on back/shoulders/neck) through the lining of lightweight jacket/shirt, etc., and grip the ends together (they can't be soldered). Do the same with the other ends and connect to a switch and then the battery! Easy peasy!! :)

.
 
Thread starter
Bazbro_imp said:
.
It really is easy, Richard.

Use Constantan resistance wire. Measure out a length that, when connected to 12v, warms to the appropriate temperature. Thread these wires (probably four or five lengths will be enough - two sleeves, two on front/kidneys, one on back/shoulders/neck) through the lining of lightweight jacket/shirt, etc., and grip the ends together (they can't be soldered). Do the same with the other ends and connect to a switch and then the battery! Easy peasy!! :)

.

I will take you word for it. :)
 
Like a pit bull with a bone. The man has found a cause.
 
Back
Top