Winter CB1100 hibernation

metalmaven_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
The weather is getting nicer and nicer here in MN. The snowmobiling season is basically over. I am getting excited to fire up the CB!
 
It's been 45 and raining in Alaska. No snow season to speak of really. This and the last winter have been the warmest on record. And after being in this town for 32 years, I can definitely say they've been the least pleasant.
 
Why have the warmer winters been the least pleasant, Ferrealls?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Why have the warmer winters been the least pleasant, Ferrealls?
They're dark and somewhat dismal. In the dead of winter I see 3-4 hours of daylight. The snow really helps to brighten things up. When it's 40 and raining everything is black. And that's the kind of cold that saturates you too. I'll take 20 and snowing over 40 and raining any day.
 
Yuk. Must be very depressing.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Yuk. Must be very depressing.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
 
I hear ya, I lived on the Kenai Peninsula up there for about 18 years. My wife finally got enough of the dark winters and moved us back to the Oregon Coast.
I do miss the fishing on the Kenai tho.

Ferrealls_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Yuk. Must be very depressing.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
 
johnnyj_imp said:
I hear ya, I lived on the Kenai Peninsula up there for about 18 years. My wife finally got enough of the dark winters and moved us back to the Oregon Coast.
I do miss the fishing on the Kenai tho.

Ferrealls_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Yuk. Must be very depressing.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
Come for the fishing, stay because you can't afford to leave.
 
Ferrealls_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Yuk. Must be very depressing.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
It is. I'm not sure if you guys hear it much down your way, but up here everyone knows what Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is. It's a fancy medical term for the depression that comes along with dark winters like ours.

Then again, I get 21 hours of daylight around summer solstice. So they balance..very slowly.
No. Tasmania, our southernmost state is not as near the pole as Alaska and probably gets at least 8 hours of daylight in winter. In summer it's nearer 16, so there's a bit of variety. SAD is an issue there, but I suspect not quite so bad. I lived there for a long time (and love it) but I found the increasing perma-grey that Ferret talks about more and more difficult and moved north. I now grumble (sometimes) about the heat proving that no-one is ever completely happy with the weather.
 
I hear you Ferrealls I'm born and raised in anchorage and the last couple winters have been very mild and pretty depressing being a auto tech for a living the mild weather takes a toll on our work load! This is the reason I look forward to Hawaii vacations I take every time this year I'm currently enjoying 80 deg. Weather and the beach every day in maui! Really helps with lack of sunshine but not lack of being able to ride!
 
Arctic cb1100_imp said:
I hear you Ferrealls I'm born and raised in anchorage and the last couple winters have been very mild and pretty depressing being a auto tech for a living the mild weather takes a toll on our work load! This is the reason I look forward to Hawaii vacations I take every time this year I'm currently enjoying 80 deg. Weather and the beach every day in maui! Really helps with lack of sunshine but not lack of being able to ride!
Ha. I hear you man. But the Hawaii trip is a little easier for you. Straight shot from Anchorage. I have to fly to Anchorage or Seattle first, and then another leg to Hawaii. I mean, I'll do it but I dread the travel portion.
 
Thread starter
Ferrealls_imp said:
It's been 45 and raining in Alaska. No snow season to speak of really. This and the last winter have been the warmest on record. And after being in this town for 32 years, I can definitely say they've been the least pleasant.
Riding motorcycles is my second love to snowmobiling, this year and last year winter has not been very kind to that passion. Surprising enough to even myself I am already looking forward to spring. I have some other things in life I am looking forward to as well which may be contributing to that. Including the black beauty I been staring at all winter (cb100).

Hopefully our winters come back!
quietguy_imp said:
metalmaven, Are you going to complete your backrest project? Or is that dead?
Well you kind of got me there, but I wouldn't say it is dead. I got my one prototype done which made the wife happy as we were able to put a couple miles on. It was a lot of work and I don't have a lot of free time so it kind of burned me out. I have some other projects going on non motorcycle related that will keep me busy for a bit, but I may get the itch to build a 2nd edition that I will feel more comfortable selling.
 
metalmaven_imp said:
Ferrealls_imp said:
It's been 45 and raining in Alaska. No snow season to speak of really. This and the last winter have been the warmest on record. And after being in this town for 32 years, I can definitely say they've been the least pleasant.
Riding motorcycles is my second love to snowmobiling, this year and last year winter has not been very kind to that passion. Surprising enough to even myself I am already looking forward to spring. I have some other things in life I am looking forward to as well which may be contributing to that. Including the black beauty I been staring at all winter (cb100).

Hopefully our winters come back!
quietguy_imp said:
metalmaven, Are you going to complete your backrest project? Or is that dead?
Well you kind of got me there, but I wouldn't say it is dead. I got my one prototype done which made the wife happy as we were able to put a couple miles on. It was a lot of work and I don't have a lot of free time so it kind of burned me out. I have some other projects going on non motorcycle related that will keep me busy for a bit, but I may get the itch to build a 2nd edition that I will feel more comfortable selling.
Riding motorcycles is my second love to snowmobiling, this year and last year winter has not been very kind to that passion. Surprising enough to even myself I am already looking forward to spring. I have some other things in life I am looking forward to as well which may be contributing to that. Including the black beauty I been staring at all winter (cb100).

Hopefully our winters come back!
quietguy_imp said:
metalmaven, Are you going to complete your backrest project? Or is that dead?
Well you kind of got me there, but I wouldn't say it is dead. I got my one prototype done which made the wife happy as we were able to put a couple miles on. It was a lot of work and I don't have a lot of free time so it kind of burned me out. I have some other projects going on non motorcycle related that will keep me busy for a bit, but I may get the itch to build a 2nd edition that I will feel more comfortable selling.
metalmaven, Sledding is also my favorite hobby here in MN. It's been tough the last couple years for sure. It gets old dragging the sleds 4-5 hours just to find the snow. i'm Taking off for WY for some mountain riding so, I will have my fill for the season.
Last week it was nice, I moved the CB to the front of my shop and almost put the battery in for a spin around the block. I must admit, I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike!
 
Thread starter
Hittheroad_imp said:
metalmaven_imp said:
Ferrealls_imp said:
It's been 45 and raining in Alaska. No snow season to speak of really. This and the last winter have been the warmest on record. And after being in this town for 32 years, I can definitely say they've been the least pleasant.
Riding motorcycles is my second love to snowmobiling, this year and last year winter has not been very kind to that passion. Surprising enough to even myself I am already looking forward to spring. I have some other things in life I am looking forward to as well which may be contributing to that. Including the black beauty I been staring at all winter (cb100).

Hopefully our winters come back!
quietguy_imp said:
metalmaven, Are you going to complete your backrest project? Or is that dead?
Well you kind of got me there, but I wouldn't say it is dead. I got my one prototype done which made the wife happy as we were able to put a couple miles on. It was a lot of work and I don't have a lot of free time so it kind of burned me out. I have some other projects going on non motorcycle related that will keep me busy for a bit, but I may get the itch to build a 2nd edition that I will feel more comfortable selling.
Riding motorcycles is my second love to snowmobiling, this year and last year winter has not been very kind to that passion. Surprising enough to even myself I am already looking forward to spring. I have some other things in life I am looking forward to as well which may be contributing to that. Including the black beauty I been staring at all winter (cb100).

Hopefully our winters come back!
quietguy_imp said:
metalmaven, Are you going to complete your backrest project? Or is that dead?
Well you kind of got me there, but I wouldn't say it is dead. I got my one prototype done which made the wife happy as we were able to put a couple miles on. It was a lot of work and I don't have a lot of free time so it kind of burned me out. I have some other projects going on non motorcycle related that will keep me busy for a bit, but I may get the itch to build a 2nd edition that I will feel more comfortable selling.
metalmaven, Sledding is also my favorite hobby here in MN. It's been tough the last couple years for sure. It gets old dragging the sleds 4-5 hours just to find the snow. i'm Taking off for WY for some mountain riding so, I will have my fill for the season.
Last week it was nice, I moved the CB to the front of my shop and almost put the battery in for a spin around the block. I must admit, I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike!
Riding motorcycles is my second love to snowmobiling, this year and last year winter has not been very kind to that passion. Surprising enough to even myself I am already looking forward to spring. I have some other things in life I am looking forward to as well which may be contributing to that. Including the black beauty I been staring at all winter (cb100).

Hopefully our winters come back!
quietguy_imp said:
metalmaven, Are you going to complete your backrest project? Or is that dead?
Well you kind of got me there, but I wouldn't say it is dead. I got my one prototype done which made the wife happy as we were able to put a couple miles on. It was a lot of work and I don't have a lot of free time so it kind of burned me out. I have some other projects going on non motorcycle related that will keep me busy for a bit, but I may get the itch to build a 2nd edition that I will feel more comfortable selling.
metalmaven, Sledding is also my favorite hobby here in MN. It's been tough the last couple years for sure. It gets old dragging the sleds 4-5 hours just to find the snow. i'm Taking off for WY for some mountain riding so, I will have my fill for the season.
Last week it was nice, I moved the CB to the front of my shop and almost put the battery in for a spin around the block. I must admit, I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike!
Awesome. I have not traveled west for mountain riding yet but it is on the bucket list. I cant wait to take the bike out though as well, everyday I see her looking all sexy in the garage lol, I suppose I should fire her up this weekend.. Have a good one
 
Back
Top