Windshield Recommendations

Tezza, can you measure from the ignition to the top of that screen please.
 
Measures about 10 inches. You could probably get a couple of more inches out of it if it was raised away from the headlight and tilted a bit more forward.
 
Actually we have found people are happiest with their shield if the top is between 8 1/2 and 10" I believe. We did a kind of informal survey about a year or so ago and I think that was the outcome I will try and find it.

Looked through the old windshield threads and it was indeed 8 1/2 to 10" above ignition for buffet free riding. Above that a lot of flag flapping noise.
 
OK, so if I understand this correctly, I want to buy a windshield that is 8.5 to 10 inches above ignition, no matter the rider height? This to minimize buffeting?
 
Trey it has sure seemed to work out that way. Even a guy 6'2 or so bought a Street Shield EX and wasn't happy until he cut it down to 11' and then was thinking about taking another inch off. After numerous threads it seems the guy with shields in the 8 1/2 to 10 inch range "above ignition" are the most satisfied with wind management. Either that or a shield so large that you have to look through like a Plexifairing 2.

see posts 25 and 33 but this whole thread is a good read

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1256&page=3&highlight=Street+Shield+EX

Mine started out at 17 1/2 above ignition, it's cut down to 13 1/4 ignition now (still too much noise) and I'm going to cut off another 3" I think.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Yes, they come with the hardware. Here is a link : http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2062&highlight=puig+plus

The pic with the side view shows the mounting bracket. It is held to the shield with 2 screws/bolts, and Puig provides 2 longer screws/bolts for the headlight as the originals will be too short with the Puig mounted.

On the pic, the bracket is on the outside of the headlight bracket and so is mine. Some put the shield bracket on the inside, between the headlight shell and the shell mounting bracket.
What are the pros and cons to mounting the shield bracket between the headlight shell and the shell mounting bracket? Do installation instructions come with the shield? Thanks
 
If you are asking me, well I don't know. I guess just looks. At the time I did mine (2 years ago) I was afraid of bending the shield to fit between the shell and bracket. But, looking at others mounting, I guess its not an issue.

There are instructions. I think they said to mount it outside the bracket. Apparently it doesn't really matter. It is a simple install. At worst you will have to remove the headlight to realign the nut if you push it out of the way. The nut is connected to a cable stay around the cables and will usually not move.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Trey it has sure seemed to work out that way. Even a guy 6'2 or so bought a Street Shield EX and wasn't happy until he cut it down to 11' and then was thinking about taking another inch off. After numerous threads it seems the guy with shields in the 8 1/2 to 10 inch range "above ignition" are the most satisfied with wind management. Either that or a shield so large that you have to look through like a Plexifairing 2.

see posts 25 and 33 but this whole thread is a good read

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1256&page=3&highlight=Street+Shield+EX

Mine started out at 17 1/2 above ignition, it's cut down to 13 1/4 ignition now (still too much noise) and I'm going to cut off another 3" I think.
My Plexi 2 is large, but it's definitely below eye level. As a rule, it's not a good idea to have a shield that you can't look over. Rain or mud reduces visibility too much.

I haven't experienced substantial noise/buffeting with either my Plexi 2 or the small Deflector DX. I think the key is where the turbulent flow hits you at highway speed. With the little Deflector the airflow hits the bottom edge of my helmet, just around chin level. With the Plexi 2, the wind starts just at the top of my helmet. It seems like most of the noise/buffeting issues are when the wind blast hits the helmet dead center, around the faceshield.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
If you are asking me, well I don't know. I guess just looks. At the time I did mine (2 years ago) I was afraid of bending the shield to fit between the shell and bracket. But, looking at others mounting, I guess its not an issue.

There are instructions. I think they said to mount it outside the bracket. Apparently it doesn't really matter. It is a simple install. At worst you will have to remove the headlight to realign the nut if you push it out of the way. The nut is connected to a cable stay around the cables and will usually not move.
Just thinking ahead, it might be easier if I install the brackets, one at a time, to the headlight bolts then mount the windshield to the brackets, then adjust and tighten everything down. Or, must the install be done differently? The pics on Puig website show the windshield to have some front to back adjustment.
 
Well, I guess you could do it that way. I just looked at mine. The brackets are threaded so you just put the screws with a plastic washer (included) into them. No nuts to mess with.

But normally you would install the brackets to the screen, then position brackets on the bolts and then pull the screen back until it is against the gauges and tighten up the bolts. The mounts are slotted so you could move it up some, but with it pushed down all the way, leaves a small gap at the headlight instead of a bigger one.

There are some Velcro pads included to put on the gauges to eliminate rattle and abrasion. As suggested by another member, I put mine on the windshield instead. Good idea if later you want to install the chrome covers or change screens.

The Puig is really an easy install and you could play with it and decide how you want it.
 
Ferret, how did you go about cutting yours down. I've cut plexi plenty of times and it can be dicey if not careful. Did you re-polish the edge ?
 
My brother and I on a big table with a jig saw. Yes it can be dicey, but these windshield are pretty tough. I hand polish the edge, and have used a hand help propane bottle to burnish the edge, but you have to be really careful doing that not to bubble it.
 
This is one of the first threads that got me interested in the forum's value and appreciation of the members willingness to share and help. The 8.5-10" number was the key element in w/s selection. I did an extensive search and liked the Puig model 0869. I think I saw it on some member's bikes. It has been quite a while (over a year) since I started my search, ... and there were "rumors" about a new updated "New Gen" version. It has a fairing with a center clear vinyl insert vs just being all clear vinyl.

It has been like "pulling teeth" as they say, waiting for PUIG QC to be finished and release the product, but it has finally come to fruition and I'll be getting the first new generation windscreen available in the US shipped to me tomorrow. It was released in Europe apx. 2 months ago.

As soon as I get it installed, I'll post pics. In the meantime, here are some from their website. I have modified some pics to show dimensions on them. The fairing comes in black or "imitation" carbon fiber and the insert can be clear, smoke, black, ... I've chosen the clear version to see the gauges easier at night.

Original 0869H

New Gen 7593

New Gen 7593w clear

New Gen 7593h smoke

New Gen 7594 Carbon Fiber
 
I wanted/tried to ride "naked", but the turbulence/wind pressure is a bit too much above 60-70mph and not what I remember experiencing on my 750. Maybe it's just the perma-grey condition setting in - although I don't have any.

That is why I went for something in the 8.5-10" range as many said was the magic limit for the top edge of the w/s above the ignition switch. I looked at items like the Slipstreamer S-06C and others, but they seemed too large for my desires. For those that purchased items like that, I am sure it is perfect for them.

I will know for me if I made the right decision next week when my PUIG arrives - I am eagerly anticipating much easier highway rides with minimal obstruction and clean looks.
 
Back
Top