Windshield Recommendations

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am in need of a windshield for my new CB1100. I tried a Slipstreamer Viper which the dealer's aftermarket parts book said would fit and even the Slipstreamer website said it would. However, after struggling for over an hour, the best I could do resulted in having about a 2" gap from top of headlight to bottom of windshield whereas the curve should nest on top of the headlight. I cannot afford the Comet fairing/shield so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pics would also be great. Thanks
 
Go to the search function and enter "windshield". You should find posts on just about every type of windshield that fits the CB1100.

You didn't say what year or type of CB1100 you have. It could make a difference as the gauge cluster on the '14 models is larger than the '13. Keep that in mind while browsing.

Edit : I just posted some pics of the two shields I'm using on my '13 in this thread : http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=5182
 
Keep windshield induced wind noise in mind when shopping for a windscreen. The noise can be very annoying. I've had an NC700 for 3 months and am already on my third windscreen.
 
Thread starter
CB4ME_imp said:
Keep windshield induced wind noise in mind when shopping for a windscreen. The noise can be very annoying. I've had an NC700 for 3 months and am already on my third windscreen.
Is the NC700 good or bad? I found some positive comments about a Puig windshield. Ever tried one of those?
 
White Dog_imp said:
I am in need of a windshield for my new CB1100. I tried a Slipstreamer Viper which the dealer's aftermarket parts book said would fit and even the Slipstreamer website said it would. However, after struggling for over an hour, the best I could do resulted in having about a 2" gap from top of headlight to bottom of windshield whereas the curve should nest on top of the headlight. I cannot afford the Comet fairing/shield so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Pics would also be great. Thanks
White Dog when you mount a some what large windshield a gap between the headlight and the bottom of the windshield is a good thing. It helps with buffeting. That's why bikes with large fairings
have vents in the bottom of the wind shield.
 
I have a Puig Plus. It is very easy to install. I did not want any attachments to the handlebars. Had it up to 80mph with no buffeting-holds steady.

I am 6'2" and it may be a little too short for me especially on long rides. Still evaluating.

Pretty solid and a good price. I got mine from Amazon.
 
White Dog_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Keep windshield induced wind noise in mind when shopping for a windscreen. The noise can be very annoying. I've had an NC700 for 3 months and am already on my third windscreen.
Is the NC700 good or bad? I found some positive comments about a Puig windshield. Ever tried one of those?
Is the NC700 good or bad? I found some positive comments about a Puig windshield. Ever tried one of those?
I have a Puig on my CB and am content with it. Little buffeting or wind noise and just enough coverage to keep the wind blast off my chest.

154b694bb356181e1f201caf1e03fbf2.jpg
 
I had a Puig Plus on my CB1100. It did a good job of wind protection and didn't move at 100 mph. But eventually I got tired of the wind noise. The Chic Design I currently have doesn't provide as much wind protection and is much more expensive but looks great and is rock steady on bumpy roads. The top of the Puig would wiggle around with every bump since it has some flex and is only supported at the bottom.

The NC700 is a nice bike. The engine is a bit noisy and sounds a bit funky too me. The bike doesn't have a lot of grunt. But it handles nicely and I like it the more I ride it. I had the OEM windscreen (very small, no wind noise), the Honda Tall windscreen (good protection but noisy) and I am expecting a Madstad adjustable windscreen which has good reviews.
 
Thread starter
gossman_imp said:
My Puig works fine for my application. But I don't run the slab long distances and I don't go much over 65 mph. And it was $44 shipped when I ordered it. I would like a Comet 2 painted to match the CB but that is a ways off for me pricewise. I got to get a shed built this spring.

I bought mine here: http://www.amazon.com/Puig-0869F-Un...3739&sr=1-28&keywords=puig+windscreen
Somehow, I missed the model you have when I was browsing Amazon and wound up buying the model 4620H, based primarily on a review that it precisely fit the 2014 CB1100 (which is what I have). I like the way the top flair is bent upwards. That should help eliminate lots of wind. The price is more than double what you paid but if the 4620H works, I can rationalize the difference in price.
 
I have a Puig Plus. Easy to install, not expensive and does what I want, which was to eliminate some wind blast. As small as it is, it does give some rain protection. Not much, but some.
 
I have a Puig, not happy with it at all and ditched it. Lot's of back and forth turbulence, wind noise (Puig makes several models, I bet I ordered the wrong one). For such a small windscreen it created more havoc than I thought it could.

Got a nice small NC from someone here, very nice. Then I got a MRA for the Griso (with a Laminair lip on top of it) and I was in heaven; bought a mount for the CB so I can share it.

I've been playing with the Givi A770 (no longer made) now that its not on the Griso and it performs pretty good. Not too good for long distance as it tires my shoulders. But well enough I'm considering a small bikini fairing for the CB.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I have a Puig Plus. Easy to install, not expensive and does what I want, which was to eliminate some wind blast. As small as it is, it does give some rain protection. Not much, but some.
Do these puppies come with any mounting hardware? I read one post where the writer had to contact Puig for parts. I didn't see anything referencing "hardware" in the Amazon ad, but the pic shows mounting holes for the sides of the headlight?
 
Yes, they come with the hardware. Here is a link : http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2062&highlight=puig+plus

The pic with the side view shows the mounting bracket. It is held to the shield with 2 screws/bolts, and Puig provides 2 longer screws/bolts for the headlight as the originals will be too short with the Puig mounted.

On the pic, the bracket is on the outside of the headlight bracket and so is mine. Some put the shield bracket on the inside, between the headlight shell and the shell mounting bracket.
 
Griso, I like the appearance and size of your NC Street Screen. If I'm 6'-0" tall, would you recommend the next size up NC for me? Love to hear your thoughts sir.
 
treytexag_imp said:
Griso, I like the appearance and size of your NC Street Screen. If I'm 6'-0" tall, would you recommend the next size up NC for me? Love to hear your thoughts sir.
treytexag, I think this size may work for you. If not you could install a laminar lip to deflect the air higher. I just really hate the look of big windscreens, I think they cause more problems than their worth. I always felt the main purpose of a windscreen was to route turbulent air just barely over the top of the screen, leaving a clean pocket of air from the face shield down. With this shield I find that most of the turbulence comes from under and around the sides of the shield but is not too bad. This particular shield is reasonably adjustable. I have moved it up and down about 2 1/2." Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top