Windjammer fairing

RickNRoll53_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Any one that used to have a Windjammer fairing think one could be fitted to a CB 1100 ? The Samurider/Webike ones are cool looking but the Windjammer, would do a better job of blocking the wind @ 80. I'm ole school, and I think it would be kool looking expecially if it was painted black with the red/grey scheme on tank. thanks for any feedback you guys might have, or ones on internet. Don't just want to get a bolt on clear or smoked windshield. RickNRoll53:biker:
 
Rick one of the members 736cc I think, who has since sold his bike, modified a Windjammer Fairing mount to fit his CB 1100 and mounted a Don Vesco fairing on it I believe, so It could be done. The Windjammer mount was not a real technical piece, 2 parallel flat bars x" of inches apart to match the width of the fairing and 2 sorta rounded V shaped pieces, one on each side, that hose clamped to the front down tubes if memory serves me. I bet any decent welding shop could modify an old Honda one to fit, and Jammers can be bought dirt cheap. You can even still get shields for them. that snap in wire harness might be tough to come by as well as the round rubber piece that went on in place of the headlight.

See post 13, he used an 80 GS 1000 Suzuki Vetter bracket

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....461&page=2

Btw I believe he has since sold the bike, At least I know it was for sale at one point.
 
I had a Quicksilver on a Yamaha XS850. Loved it!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rick one of the members 736cc I think, who has since sold his bike, modified a Windjammer Fairing mount to fit his CB 1100 and mounted a Don Vesco fairing on it I believe, so It could be done. The Windjammer mount was not a real technical piece, 2 parallel flat bars x" of inches apart to match the width of the fairing and 2 sorta rounded V shaped pieces, one on each side, that hose clamped to the front down tubes if memory serves me. I bet any decent welding shop could modify an old Honda one to fit, and Jammers can be bought dirt cheap. You can even still get shields for them. that snap in wire harness might be tough to come by as well as the round rubber piece that went on in place of the headlight.

See post 13, he used an 80 GS 1000 Suzuki Vetter bracket

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....461&page=2

Btw I believe he has since sold the bike, At least I know it was for sale at one point.

Wow, Ferret, glad you have just an excellent memory of old threads to recall for everyone! Thanks!
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rick one of the members 736cc I think, who has since sold his bike, modified a Windjammer Fairing mount to fit his CB 1100 and mounted a Don Vesco fairing on it I believe, so It could be done. The Windjammer mount was not a real technical piece, 2 parallel flat bars x" of inches apart to match the width of the fairing and 2 sorta rounded V shaped pieces, one on each side, that hose clamped to the front down tubes if memory serves me. I bet any decent welding shop could modify an old Honda one to fit, and Jammers can be bought dirt cheap. You can even still get shields for them. that snap in wire harness might be tough to come by as well as the round rubber piece that went on in place of the headlight.

See post 13, he used an 80 GS 1000 Suzuki Vetter bracket

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....461&page=2

Btw I believe he has since sold the bike, At least I know it was for sale at one point.

Yeah, I think the harness might be the toughest bit. You'd probably have to do some creative wiring to get it to fit the modern CB11 electrics.
 
The old Windjammer mounts were pretty basic (primative), mostly angle iron and hose clamps with some rubber to isolate them (think cut inner tubes) so if you can weld or have a buddy that does you're golden.

The wiring, I think, would be pretty basic too. Extended wires for the blinkers and the headlight.

But working around the oil cooler. THAT may be the biggest PITA. The fairing was designed to fit at a certain height and angle so the mount may have to go around that cooler.

Hope you do it, I'd love to see pictures. :)
Vetter Fairings
Home made mounts
 
I used a 1980 GS1000 Vetter fairing bracket to mount my Vesco fairing. The bracket needed cutting and re-welding. The oil cooler squeezes in by the tightest margin, and its top center bolt is longer than stock. I also had to modify the steering stop, and used Honda Japan CB1100 handlebars. Wiring pretty basic, although running lights had me scratching my head as the Vesco had different 2 filament signal sockets (Honda actually "dims" the blinker during running in a single filament bulb with what I think is a rheostat)
 
736cc_imp said:
I used a 1980 GS1000 Vetter fairing bracket to mount my Vesco fairing. The bracket needed cutting and re-welding. The oil cooler squeezes in by the tightest margin, and its top center bolt is longer than stock. I also had to modify the steering stop, and used Honda Japan CB1100 handlebars. Wiring pretty basic, although running lights had me scratching my head as the Vesco had different 2 filament signal sockets (Honda actually "dims" the blinker during running in a single filament bulb with what I think is a rheostat)
Oh, that is just way too cool. It looks fantastic-I love it!
 
I like the old Vetter style fairings and wish they were still available new. Had one on my '73 BMW and here's Pamela with her '79 KZ650. best fairing ever designed.

0089542dffd1db28eb14ecf3eff7752c.jpg
 
I like it! Looks like one of the color matched Kawasaki badged versions.

I had one on my first KZ750. Great storage capacity and excellent wind protection. The one thing I didn't notice until I took it off was how noisy they were. The fairing acted like a parabolic reflector and you could hear every click and tap from the engine's top end loud and clear.
 
736cc_imp said:
I used a 1980 GS1000 Vetter fairing bracket to mount my Vesco fairing. The bracket needed cutting and re-welding. The oil cooler squeezes in by the tightest margin, and its top center bolt is longer than stock. I also had to modify the steering stop, and used Honda Japan CB1100 handlebars. Wiring pretty basic, although running lights had me scratching my head as the Vesco had different 2 filament signal sockets (Honda actually "dims" the blinker during running in a single filament bulb with what I think is a rheostat)
darn! that looks very nice indeed! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top