Wider tyres than standard..whose got them?

Thread starter
Yea, the PR4's only have one 18" size for the rear 160, I too prefer to have matching...I bit the bullet and ordered the 120 front and 160 rear in the Angel Gt's from my local supplier. Tyres are sooooo expensive here... over AU $500 for the pair fitted....they should be in next week sometime...
 
My bad, Ferret, I thought was the the non GT.
 
These 18" tires are difficult to source
 
I talked about my bad experience at length on another recent thread.. all I can say is I have christened my bike "The Wobbler" since changing the rear tire to a 160. Going back to 140 soon and will have a very slightly used Angel GT 160 width tire for sale cheap.
 
I can't provide any feedback as to wider tires on the CB, but if you wish to stay with the original dimensions then you should also be able to get the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 in Australia. I personally always prefer to stick with the tire dimension a bike was designed for, and am now happily on my second set of Z8s. The first one lasted some 13'000 km, and probably could have gone a bit further if it wasn't for a nail in the rear.

One thing though, it seems these are not ideal if you do a lot of straight road touring, but if your riding includes regular turns I think they are great. Certainly much better than the originals the bike came with.
 
I use wider-than-standard tires as well, only i opted for Avon Spirit STII. 120/70 front and 160/60 rear. before that I used the same size in Michelin PR3 tires like a lot of forum members. I feel a good deal more cornering confidence compared to back when i had the stock bridgestone tires.

I'm actually really curious about Crazyirv's experience. it seems so opposite. what is your theory about the cause of this wobble you mentioned?
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
I use wider-than-standard tires as well, only i opted for Avon Spirit STII. 120/70 front and 160/60 rear. before that I used the same size in Michelin PR3 tires like a lot of forum members. I feel a good deal more cornering confidence compared to back when i had the stock bridgestone tires.

I'm actually really curious about Crazyirv's experience. it seems so opposite. what is your theory about the cause of this wobble you mentioned?
There's a lot of info on the web that backs up the fact that putting wider tires on rims meant for narrower ones is a bad idea. You are literally pinching the tire from the bottom and distorting the shape of it. Instead of a larger contact patch you are instead, ironically because of the wider tire, actually getting a smaller one, and the handling of your bike can be affected. In my case, my bike starts wobbling fairly bad at about 75MPH. It feels like I'm on ice almost. I took my hands (briefly, you better believe!) off the bars at that speed and and the handlebars did not shake, so I believe it is the back tire. The poor guys who installed the tires removed them after I complained, rechecked the balance, and found nothing wrong. I believe them. They have a stack of about 150 changed tires in their shop and people come there with all makes and obviously are ok. My front is only 10MM more than stock....back is 20. I believe the back is the problem. What is confusing is that no one here seems to have the this problem with wider tires and many have switched to them. I'm not sure why I'm so lucky but one thing is I weigh about 330 lbs so that might have something to do with it. Others have told me that there have been a couple of posts about loose swingarms here. As soon as the heat wave here is over (been over 105 for about a week now) I'm going to see what happens when I deflate the rear wheel some to flatten it out a little. I am definately returning to stock size probably sooner than later.
 
That sounds shocking and dangerous. I can definitely back up the fact that nobody here seems to have that issue. in fact, switching to a 160/60 rear here is something of a fad, ever since the michelin PR3 was discovered. I myself just rode 760 miles over the last weekend, doing 85 almost the entire way with absolute stability, in turns and on the long highway miles. I think there's something else going on here that either has nothing to do with the tire width or is a problem by itself that's exacerbated by the wider tire.

as for why it became a fad to switch to them with our bike, I always took the advantage to be that if you switch to the 160/60 size you have access to much higher quality tires that can pull much longer miles with much more advanced tread and traction, not so much about increased contact patch, though i'm sure some were hunting a better contact patch in corners.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Does your 2017 have spokes ? I replaced my 2017 tires with the OEM Dunlop's as I did like them.(USA model 2017 has spokes )
Yes, my 2017 also came with spokes & tubes, however, I converted to tubeless easier to fix a flat on road trip.

I prefer wider tires rather than skinny ones and Michelin, it's just personal liking.
Hope that when it is time for replacement I am fully aware of availability & potential issues and will be able to make a wise decision.

Regards
Alain
 
Man, Crazyirv, still very curious about your predicament. The 160 Angel on my '13 has been smooth as glass for the few hundred miles I've put on it so far. Traffic was unusually light this morning, so I was cruising at 80 to keep up, and had to hit 90 for a few seconds to cross from the car pool lane to my exit lane, no problemo.
 
I’m curious too, CrazyIrv.

Just to add to MrP’s post, part of the reason for the popularity of the 160 tyre was the fact that it is really hard to find quality radial tyres that fit the CB1100’s 18” wheels. In Australia in 2013, neither of the OEM alternatives always available and there didn’t seem to be anything else. After a couple of sets of BT45s, I changed to the PR3 and have not experienced any of the wobble you describe.
 
Next week .... new gym shoes in time for the rally

6aa7c549eca95ed68a0e0d777d07137b.jpg


Gonna miss my Michelin's, these have 12,000 miles (19,000km) on them

120 front

525e5d2c7568100e24b9099e14f073f3.jpg


160 rear

67140eb20c2fccd8d568320e8dee1578.jpg
 
Thread starter
Ok, so I bought the 120 fronts 160 rears in the Angel GT's..all I can say is wow..what a difference. Now I dont think its the old vs new tyre wow, but could be a little of that. They just feel more planted ( Apart from my initial slippery start) ..being new an slippery I havnt hammered them yet but have been through the windy bends in the Adelaide hills and they feel amazing..
The guys at the tyre shop were reluctant to put them on and struggled to get them on the rim, but in the end they prevailed..

I took some measurements before (on my old Dunlops) and after of the new Pirelli's and was very surprised at the result....see below
The Pirelli's measured 105mm wide on the front and 150mm on the back?

I am definatley a convert to the Dark side ............
 
Lucky you, in Italy it is strictly forbidden to use tires of different sizes than those shown on the registration certificate.
Insurance is also not liable in the event of an accident.
 
Enzofour_imp said:
Lucky you, in Italy it is strictly forbidden to use tires of different sizes than those shown on the registration certificate.
Insurance is also not liable in the event of an accident.
It is not forbidden in Ireland but the same goes for insurance purposes. In any accident an insurance assessor will look at the tyres for non-stock size and will immediately invalidate your cover if found. That would leave you the bill should a third party sue you for the accident.

And in Ireland suing for compensation is a national pastime. Claimants often get very large pay-outs for very minor injuries. That's why our schools no longer have climbing frames "no running in the playground" policies. :@
 
Tev62_imp said:
Enzofour_imp said:
Lucky you, in Italy it is strictly forbidden to use tires of different sizes than those shown on the registration certificate.
Insurance is also not liable in the event of an accident.
It is not forbidden in Ireland but the same goes for insurance purposes. In any accident an insurance assessor will look at the tyres for non-stock size and will immediately invalidate your cover if found. That would leave you the bill should a third party sue you for the accident.

And in Ireland suing for compensation is a national pastime. Claimants often get very large pay-outs for very minor injuries. That's why our schools no longer have climbing frames "no running in the playground" policies. :@
(*sigh*)

Sounds like another country we know and love.

A "regulated childhood" - nice.
 
I have 160/60/18 on my 2014 with no issue. However, I switched to spoke wheels and went to wider rim in back- from 3.75 to 4.25 if I remember correctly.
 
I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind, but here's a chart that shows 160/60 is not appropriate for 4" rim. range is 4.25 - 5 *note - you have to scroll down to get to rear wheels. the first set of charts is front wheels.

Tire/Wheel Fitment
 
Back
Top