Wider handlebars, Tracker style.

JLEECB

Running like a top
Thread starter
I’ve scoured the site for more information on handlebar swaps, and I’m a bit at an impasse in my decision. Most of the information is related to risers, not actually wider handlebars. I need wider than stock, I’m constantly putting my hands on the bar weights for more width. I love the positioning of tracker bars so that’s what I’m going with. The obvious issues are clutch and brake line, throttle cables.

I’m finding the exact dimensions of stock handlebars to peg down, best I can figure their 30 inches wide, 5.5 inch rise, and 7 inch pullback. Yes? I’m looking at 2 bars, one recommended by a Facebook CB1100 user, I’m unable to contact him for more clarity. The other I came along by chance and Really like.

LSL Flat Track Bar Handlebars

This one is the likely choice for minimal investment. It’s cheaper, and I think can be done without any changes (maybe only needing handlebar holders turned 180 degrees). 33 inch width, 4.5 rise, 7.4 pullback.

https://britishcustoms.com/collecti...er-handlebars-7-8-inch?variant=12279162011744

This one I really want. Perfect width at 35 inches, 3.75 inch rise, 7 inch pull back. Double the price of the lsl, seriously doubting the ability to stretch the brake that far. The bar could be cut down, but if im not using the full length I might as well go with lsl.

Looking for thoughts, suggestions, things I might have missed.

As I understand, replacing the brake line requires replacing all lines, not just To the splitter. I see spiegler makes a brake line kit, and there are kits on webike, but I can’t tell if those are cut to exact dimensions as current brake lines or do they give more play? I’d prefer not to run two lines all the way down as well.

I haven’t seen much on throttle cables and how much play there is with rerouting. Anyone with experience on it?

 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Another source for bars is Flanders Company.
I looked over the Flanders bars after you mentioned them. A couple of the 1” were nice, but none of the 7/8’s really tickled my fancy. Still torn between the lsl and Mule. I’m leaning LSL just because of cost effectiveness.
 
Thread starter
I bought the Mule handlebar on sale from partzilla. Decided I’m gonna go with what I really want and make it work. Mechanic and I looked it over and think we can make it work by rerouting only. If not, stainless here I come.

A couple thoughts on the bar, looking for input.

It’s not knurled at the risers/clamps. Anyone else have issues with smooth bars or do I need to rough them up at the clamps?

I’d like to go with bar end mirrors, sans the Honda bar weights. I never had issues with vibrations with my cb750 and wide bars, but I never took it long distance like I take my CB11. Mechanic talked about pumping the bar full of silicon for dampening. A little more research and I heard about the bar snake, lead weights, sand. Anyone with personal experience on these tricks?
 
I think you will need to rough the bars up, or they likely will spin at the clamps. I've used an automatic center-punch to put a whole bunch of dimples in the bar.
 
Great idea with the punch Pd
 
Thread starter
Great idea, thanks. Does that mean the risers/clamps are Aluminum then? When I was searching for bars I read something on biltwells website that said knurl/dimples should only be used with aluminum clamps, that it won’t bite into steel clamps and reduces surface area for pressure.

pekingduck_imp said:
I think you will need to rough the bars up, or they likely will spin at the clamps. I've used an automatic center-punch to put a whole bunch of dimples in the bar.
 
Almost all handlebar clamps are aluminum, so the dimpling or serrations are necessary on anything other than low bars.
 
Thread starter
Ok thanks Peking. I’m actually quite hungry for roast duck now after reading your name.

Anyone with info/experience on the alternative dampening methods?
 
Thread starter
I was looking at heated grips on amazon. Accidentally clicked buy on oxfords. Figured it must be a sign so on they went.

Turned out to be almost no issues. The Napoleon bar end mirrors extend forward a hair and force the levers to be a little further away from the grips. stock tubes and cables were just fine.

Right side a little busier than I’d like with all the cables, but the comfort level with hand and arm position is fantastic.

I didn’t try filling the bars. If I feel vibration issues I might try something down the road. Will put up more pictures when I get it home and cleaned up.

Also, how do I get my pictures to show instead of just linking them?

 
Jlee, I became an Amazon Prime member with an accidental click :s
 
Thread starter
Thanks Cormanus. Apparently I can’t do that method on a phone, so I’ll just use the links for now.

That’s how they get you popgun!!!

Here’s some pictures of my bike at home with the new set up. Felt good on ride home. Will get some more miles in tomorrow.

 
Jlee, Imgur is not as good as was Photobucket or (still) Postimage for linking to forums.

The only way I can see to do it from the iPhone app is to open the picture and, at the bottom of the screen, click on <Share>. Then select <Copy Link> and paste the result into your post. It will look something like .

Edit it so it reads and then surround it with the Image tags [ img ] and [ /img ] with no spaces before or after the square brackets.

It will look like the following and will display on the forum:
Code:
fB5rvLv.jpg

Otherwise use Tapatalk to upload photos easily from your phone.


Meanwhile, out of the goodness of my heart, JLEE's pictures:
97e17b6c01872d4539894d616b102fe1.jpg


7906e70cd6b3c244189b08ddb12b09fe.jpg


5cec56726bedd7f5e0a34962d8403c7b.jpg


f0678d0529d95c0ef4fa8729f17b0878.jpg


596cd5df92504e24514699c577fc027f.jpg
 
Thread starter
Thanks Cormanus. I’ll try typing in the extra bits next time I need to post photos.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Jlee, Imgur is not as good as was Photobucket or (still) Postimage for linking to forums.

The only way I can see to do it from the iPhone app is to open the picture and, at the bottom of the screen, click on <Share>. Then select <Copy Link> and paste the result into your post. It will look something like .

Edit it so it reads and then surround it with the Image tags [ img ] and [ /img ] with no spaces before or after the square brackets.

It will look like the following and will display on the forum:
Code:
fB5rvLv.jpg

Otherwise use Tapatalk to upload photos easily from your phone.


Meanwhile, out of the goodness of my heart, JLEE's pictures:
97e17b6c01872d4539894d616b102fe1.jpg


7906e70cd6b3c244189b08ddb12b09fe.jpg


5cec56726bedd7f5e0a34962d8403c7b.jpg


f0678d0529d95c0ef4fa8729f17b0878.jpg


596cd5df92504e24514699c577fc027f.jpg

What muffler/exhaust is that if I may ask?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Says Yoshimura on the muffler.
 
Heeee another "chromie" sidecover, gotta watch those things when taking pictures, easy to give a cameo appearance,
Nice job mate and the chrome edging on the tank as well, looks good.
 
Back
Top