Why the Oil Cooler?

tomas_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Don't you think the CB1100 would look so much better without that huge oil cooler attach to the front end of the bike. Now I know the purpose & function of the oil cooler. But was it really needed? A 1980's Suzuki GS1100 was making 30+ more HP with a engine design that was 30+ years older. It was also considered "stone reliable". I just think the CB would look so much more cleaner without it. Just my two cents.......................
 
Easy. The later ones with that horsepower had oil coolers. The earlier GS-1100/E with no oil cooler made the same power as the CB.
 
tomas_imp said:
Don't you think the CB1100 would look so much better without that huge oil cooler attach to the front end of the bike. Now I know the purpose & function of the oil cooler. But was it really needed? A 1980's Suzuki GS1100 was making 30+ more HP with a engine design that was 30+ years older. It was also considered "stone reliable". I just think the CB would look so much more cleaner without it. Just my two cents.......................
Take it off then.
 
The oil cooler was a common accessory for bikes all thru the early 70s until they started putting them on there at the factory late 80s
 
Thread starter
Deanohh_imp said:
tomas_imp said:
Don't you think the CB1100 would look so much better without that huge oil cooler attach to the front end of the bike. Now I know the purpose & function of the oil cooler. But was it really needed? A 1980's Suzuki GS1100 was making 30+ more HP with a engine design that was 30+ years older. It was also considered "stone reliable". I just think the CB would look so much more cleaner without it. Just my two cents.......................
Take it off then.
Take it off then.
Thanks for the reply, I wish I would've thought of that. :worship:
 
Because of emission regulations today's bikes run much hotter with leaner fuel mixtures. That's why so many bikes are now liquid cooled. An air cooled bike like the CB really needs an oil cooler.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Because of emission regulations today's bikes run much hotter with leaner fuel mixtures. That's why so many bikes are now liquid cooled. An air cooled bike like the CB really needs an oil cooler.
I agree redbirds, I forgot that newer bikes are made to run a lot leaner, which equals more heat.
 
Back in the day when almost all bikes were air cooled, the mechanics told me and some buds that for every 20 degrees you lowered your oil temp, you doubled your engine life. I assumed it was true because they more knowledgeable than me and most of them actually had an aftermarket one on their bikes. In fact, I had never doubted it and until now hadn't thought about it in many years.
 
12cb96vfr: I'm with you! I love the looks of the oil cooler and they help so much keeping our motors to live long life's :). I also like the chrome cover from samurider
 
Something I've wondered about. Compared to typical 70's engines, the cooling fins on the CB1100 seem rather shallow. For comparison's sake look at how deep the cylinder and head fins are on the original CB750. As some Bike magazine writer joked: 'more fins than Jaws 4'.

So I've wondered if they decreased the fin area and made up for that by including an oil cooler (which of course also guarantees that the oil can be cooled by fins that are not connected to hot engine parts).

But, yeah.. the oil cooler blocks the view of those gleaming headers. I'll take the trade-off and keep the cooler !
 
I've had at least a couple people mistake it for a radiator...sheese.

About the fins: the design video says Honda had to develop a new casting process to make the fins as long and thin as they are. I have nothing to compare to, but they look quite elegant to me.
 
Back
Top