Why have kick starters gone extinct?

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My buddy just bought a 78 CB750K and the question popped into my mind why the kick start is a thing of the past. From what little I know is that on fuel injected engines the battery has to power the fuel pump and if it is dead a kick start wont matter anyway. But then you have a lot of carbed bikes like the Nighthawks with no kick start either. Or is it because it costs another 20-30 bucks?

I would feel better having the option just in case but of course you can always push start in in a jam if you have to. Just wondering what the real reason is that almost nothing anymore has a kick start including scooters.
 
It's about cost vs reward I guess. The reliability of electric starters and batteries have become such that a kick starter just isn't a required item any more. I had one on my first bike (1976 CB500T) and I used it because I had a bad battery and charging issues with that bike. Honestly I'm not really sure why the bike finally decided to restart, but I got home with it. I never had a need to even push start any of my Nighthawks sooo.....
 
Probably just a matter of economics and refinement. I had frequent starter button problems on the old bikes. Used the kicker fairly often. But that was then and this is now. The other thing is the average size motor back in the day was about half or less than what everyone is tooling around on now. Not sure I'd want to be kicking one over very often these days. :cool:

Memories include bruises and skinned shins and breaking a sweat before I ever got moving! :-/

Interestingly enough, however, the new Yamaha 400cc is kick start only! Guess they saved a few bucks by going in the other direction.
 
My buddies KZ1000 has a kicker on it and it has been used those times when he didn't have a charged battery because he just doesn't charge it over the winter like you are supposed to. (I want that bike...grrrr...lol)

aa03eb8d5e102e20e3cb911c871e8e2a.jpg
 
My '81 CB 650 did not have a kick starter and that really made me nervous. Never needed it. I think today's motor cycles are just that reliable. My 9.9 Yamaha trolling motor I just got this spring is electric start, no pull rope.
 
EFI changed the game completely. Kick start saved my hide many times over yrs., but no re-jetting n tuning due to altitude,humidity etc. big plus. Torn...right side of engine naked w/out kick tucked in.
 
As stated earlier, batteries and starters are very reliable now. Having a kick start on my old R/75 saved a trip for me years ago. My battery would not hold a charge on the way home. Had never used the kick start up till then.
 
Lol like many of you I remember when they first started coming put with the new fangled electric starters. Up until then it was kick only. I can only wish my 59 Sportster had an electric starter and no kick starter. That thing was a beast to fire off if the right sequence wasn't followed which I still remember...ign off, choke on, kick twice, choke off, ign on, kick and pray.

A kick starter on an elect start bike saved me a few times in the past, but have not seemed necessary since they eliminated them.
 
Weight and cost versus actual need. Electric starter and battery reliability killed it off. Combine with increasing engine size and how many of us would kick start an 1100. They still exist on all the 125cc bikes I see overseas. Even saw one with a rope pull like a lawn mower in Peru.
 
I have this friend, "Bump Start " Mike, who could probably use one, but other that they're a waste of space on a modern bike.
 
I agree with the reliability, cost & weight reasons, but there's just something about the option of having a kick starter. Besides its way cool... maybe Honda should incorporate it into the CB1100 to add another retro element :D
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I have this friend, "Bump Start " Mike, who could probably use one, but other that they're a waste of space on a modern bike.

:rofl:
 
Could probably mock one up in plastic and glue in place for the look. Maybe Mr. T could get a company to make a new cover with a dummy lever.

I too miss the joy of kick starting a bike just to relive the memories. Hence the constant search for a good small CB 350F, or 350, or 400F or GB500. But I will have a 1970 CB750 soon enough for that memory.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Could probably mock one up in plastic and glue in place for the look. Maybe Mr. T could get a company to make a new cover with a dummy lever.

I too miss the joy of kick starting a bike just to relive the memories. Hence the constant search for a good small CB 350F, or 350, or 400F or GB500. But I will have a 1970 CB750 soon enough for that memory.
+1
Not a 1970, but... Kick starter included :D

d758cf3b535de2cf198bffb5bbc8f54f.jpg
 
I estimate 10-20 lbs for the entire kick start mechanism, plus the space used. I sure do miss it. Yama bike will be here soon, so if I really need one I can just go buy it.

What I truly miss is my first starter motorcycle that was magneto and kick start only. No battery, no starter. Low maint, simple, very reliable. I do not miss the dull headlight, and I doubt I would have lasted 100k miles as no oil filter. But I sure miss those simple days.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Could probably mock one up in plastic and glue in place for the look. Maybe Mr. T could get a company to make a new cover with a dummy lever.

I too miss the joy of kick starting a bike just to relive the memories. Hence the constant search for a good small CB 350F, or 350, or 400F or GB500. But I will have a 1970 CB750 soon enough for that memory.
The challenge then would be to leap on the kick starter while using the electric start with such exquisite timing that watchers thought you'd actually kick started it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
Could probably mock one up in plastic and glue in place for the look. Maybe Mr. T could get a company to make a new cover with a dummy lever.

I too miss the joy of kick starting a bike just to relive the memories. Hence the constant search for a good small CB 350F, or 350, or 400F or GB500. But I will have a 1970 CB750 soon enough for that memory.
The challenge then would be to leap on the kick starter while using the electric start with such exquisite timing that watchers thought you'd actually kick started it.
The challenge then would be to leap on the kick starter while using the electric start with such exquisite timing that watchers thought you'd actually kick started it.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
Elipten_imp said:
Yea that would be fun!

I just wish we would get bikes with all LED lighting. I have no nostalgia for incandescent bulbs.
+1 on that. Its another place all companies cut corners on. I swear the stock headlight on my NH was one of the worst I have ever seen. Fixed it with a new cibie E spec housing and 70/65 Osram off road bulb. The difference is dramatic but it was so poor to begin with than anything would have been an improvement. I have a led plug in lamp that I bought with even more lumens but have not tried out yet.
 
Back
Top