Why Drivers Don't See Us - Featuring the CB1100

emptysea

Road warrior
Thread starter
There are several threads on this forum pointing to articles about distracted motorists and/or invisible motorcyclists, but other than a couple of firsthand reports on this forum, I have not seen our CB1100 mentioned in any of these articles.

This morning, thanks to a Facebook post (by an Indian Springfield rider), I came to find two articles about the perils we face on two wheels in which the author's 2014 CB1100 is mentioned. As it turns out, the author is forum member JackBaruth (who should know not only that the red ones are faster, but that they more visible. ;) )

Why You Don't 'See' Motorcycles on the Road

Maybe Distracted Driving Is the Lesser of Two Evils

Jack has several other articles and blog posts about the CB1100. Google "Jack Baruth CB1100" for more of his perspective.

He'd be a great addition to the Eureka Springs rally. :D
 
interesting read. Drop him a note and invite him.
 
Sometimes they do see you and make the left hand turn anyway because you are just a motorcycle. While attending a rally in Sudbury, Ontario I witnessed a driver make a left hand turn in front of a Goldwing rider. When the policeman asked her "Did you not see him?" Her response was "Yes I saw him. I know him."

You will often read people that suggest that you watch the drivers eyes. Over the years I have had numerous drivers look right at me on my bike or in my car and pull out in front of me anyway. By the time you can see their eyes, it's too late.

Now while riding I gear down, slow down, cover the both brakes, consider escape routes, and watch the vehicles wheels. They are far bigger that a persons eyes. Sounds like a lot of things to do, but after a while it is as automatic as shifting.

I am 6'2" inches tall. When I drive a car the rear view mirror blocks my vision to the right. I can have a vehicle pull up on my right to a 4-way stop intersection and never see it. I now have the habit of ducking down a bit to see if there is a vehicle hiding behind my mirror.

Much worse are the small traffic circles that are now becoming popular at busy suburban intersections. Now both me and the vehicle on my right are headed to the same spot at 40 or 50 KPH (25 to 30 MPH). Riding a motorcycle through these small circles, especially the two-lane ones, is a heart pumping adventure.
 
The phenomenon of drivers looking right at you and not seeing you is often related to lack of relative motion between the bike and the background behind the bike from the driver's perspective. This is combined with the relatively small change in perceived size of the motorcycle as it approaches. It has to be right on top of you before it looks like it is getting bigger.

This video gives the perfect explanation.


 
I mentioned doing this (I call it " the weave" ) back in 2014 and that I had been doing it for a year after reading about it someplace


Being seen


I think it helps. People really stare at you as you weave past them when they are about to pull out. Of course I'm also wearing my high viz vest a lot these days and a white modular helmet. Everything helps.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Sometimes they do see you and make the left hand turn anyway because you are just a motorcycle. While attending a rally in Sudbury, Ontario I witnessed a driver make a left hand turn in front of a Goldwing rider. When the policeman asked her "Did you not see him?" Her response was "Yes I saw him. I know him."

You will often read people that suggest that you watch the drivers eyes. Over the years I have had numerous drivers look right at me on my bike or in my car and pull out in front of me anyway. By the time you can see their eyes, it's too late.

Now while riding I gear down, slow down, cover the both brakes, consider escape routes, and watch the vehicles wheels. They are far bigger that a persons eyes. Sounds like a lot of things to do, but after a while it is as automatic as shifting.

I am 6'2" inches tall. When I drive a car the rear view mirror blocks my vision to the right. I can have a vehicle pull up on my right to a 4-way stop intersection and never see it. I now have the habit of ducking down a bit to see if there is a vehicle hiding behind my mirror.

Much worse are the small traffic circles that are now becoming popular at busy suburban intersections. Now both me and the vehicle on my right are headed to the same spot at 40 or 50 KPH (25 to 30 MPH). Riding a motorcycle through these small circles, especially the two-lane ones, is a heart pumping adventure.
^^ What he said! The wheels are a dead giveaway that a car is about to turn in front of you.

If I'm entering an intersection without other cars beside me, I also use Ferret's weave within the lane to make me a bit more noticeable.
 
I ride with daytime high beam. If I think someone may not see me, I ride straight at 'em to direct the headlight to their eyes. Then I start the bob-and-weave maneuver that ferret mentioned.
 
Lol as a salesman in the Highway Traffc Safety Field for the last 25 years before retiring, conspicuity was a word I used about every day. Sold lots of conspicuity tape to municipalities for their equipment, and it takes a boat load to tape up a school bus or semi lol. The stuff is expensive too.

When you see a vehicle with alternating sections of hi intensity red and white tape around the perimeter, THAT is conspicuity tape.
 
When I was in collage, driving my Kawasaki Bushwacker, I was hit head on by a station wagon, that was on my right, at a stop sign from a road coming towards the road I was on from an angle. Using this swerving technique would have saved me from a lot of pain and suffering. The driver never saw me.

When I took a motorcycle driving class, to get a California motorcycle license, this technique was never mentioned? It should be taught everywhere! It just makes sense. Watching wheels works fine when it takes a change in direction for the auto driver to hit you, like in traffic, but does nothing if they only need to move straight ahead to get you, at an intersection.


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Retsel_imp said:
When I was in collage, driving my Kawasaki Bushwacker, I was hit head on by a station wagon, that was on my right, at a stop sign from a road coming towards the road I was on from an angle. Using this swerving technique would have saved me from a lot of pain and suffering. The driver never saw me.

When I took a motorcycle driving class, to get a California motorcycle license, this technique was never mentioned? It should be taught everywhere! It just makes sense. Watching wheels works fine when it takes a change in direction for the auto driver to hit you, like in traffic, but does nothing if they only need to move straight ahead to get you, at an intersection.


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
When approaching a vehicle stopped to the right or left in front of me, if the wheels start to move or don't stop I start taking emergency measures immediately: down shifting, braking, etc.

I also slow down or speed up to use oncoming traffic as blockers when approaching vehicles on a side road to the left.

The wheels on an oncoming vehicles are impossible to see, as are the drivers eyes because of the glare on the windshield. You would probably see the change of direction of the vehicle first. Unfortunately its an impatient driver that's not going to signal and turn in front of you, whether they see you or not.

I instinctively move from away from the center line as a vehicle approaches, or I am approaching the top of a hill.

The most dangerous oncoming vehicle is the one behind the first oncoming car, as they may be waiting to pass. They can't see you and you can't see them unless you move over.

I stay closer to the center line if there is no oncoming traffic. I want the car behind me to pass me like they would a car, not half in my lane.
 
Like EmptySea, I thought I had a pretty extensive vocabulary (for me the queen's english) until I saw the word "conspicuity" in a bike magazine article about the subject..... probably 10-12 years or more ago.
The article was laced with the word, and while I got the gist of what it meant, I went to Webster's and looked it up to make certain :D
It's always a good day when you learn something new, and it was as a result of that article that I dumped the black leather and went with white helmets and red textile jackets.
So far, so good.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
When I was in collage, driving my Kawasaki Bushwacker, I was hit head on by a station wagon, that was on my right, at a stop sign from a road coming towards the road I was on from an angle. Using this swerving technique would have saved me from a lot of pain and suffering. The driver never saw me.

When I took a motorcycle driving class, to get a California motorcycle license, this technique was never mentioned? It should be taught everywhere! It just makes sense. Watching wheels works fine when it takes a change in direction for the auto driver to hit you, like in traffic, but does nothing if they only need to move straight ahead to get you, at an intersection.


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
When approaching a vehicle stopped to the right or left in front of me, if the wheels start to move or don't stop I start taking emergency measures immediately: down shifting, braking, etc.

I also slow down or speed up to use oncoming traffic as blockers when approaching vehicles on a side road to the left.

The wheels on an oncoming vehicles are impossible to see, as are the drivers eyes because of the glare on the windshield. You would probably see the change of direction of the vehicle first. Unfortunately its an impatient driver that's not going to signal and turn in front of you, whether they see you or not.

I instinctively move from away from the center line as a vehicle approaches, or I am approaching the top of a hill.

The most dangerous oncoming vehicle is the one behind the first oncoming car, as they may be waiting to pass. They can't see you and you can't see them unless you move over.

I stay closer to the center line if there is no oncoming traffic. I want the car behind me to pass me like they would a car, not half in my lane.
Nortoon this is intense wisdom! These are some very fine but crucial points about the craft of riding safely, obviously honed over years of experience and attentiveness. I learned a lot from this post and it is going into my safe riding archive.
One thing I would add to the discussion, related to the left turner (US/Euro road rules) who doesn't see you: sometimes the optimal evasive action is to brake and swerve left, passing behind the vehicle as it violates your right-of-way. The problem, of course, is if they see you too late and slam on the brakes, stopping in the path of your attempted evasive maneuver. Time + distance + position + path = collision.

Good video of an evasion in this situation. Don't watch or turn down the sound if you are offended by intense profanity in English. This moto vlogger is from Portugal and is rather entertaining most of the time. However on this occasion he got a wake-up call that can serve as an example to us all.


 
Stichill_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
Retsel_imp said:
When I was in collage, driving my Kawasaki Bushwacker, I was hit head on by a station wagon, that was on my right, at a stop sign from a road coming towards the road I was on from an angle. Using this swerving technique would have saved me from a lot of pain and suffering. The driver never saw me.

When I took a motorcycle driving class, to get a California motorcycle license, this technique was never mentioned? It should be taught everywhere! It just makes sense. Watching wheels works fine when it takes a change in direction for the auto driver to hit you, like in traffic, but does nothing if they only need to move straight ahead to get you, at an intersection.


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
When approaching a vehicle stopped to the right or left in front of me, if the wheels start to move or don't stop I start taking emergency measures immediately: down shifting, braking, etc.

I also slow down or speed up to use oncoming traffic as blockers when approaching vehicles on a side road to the left.

The wheels on an oncoming vehicles are impossible to see, as are the drivers eyes because of the glare on the windshield. You would probably see the change of direction of the vehicle first. Unfortunately its an impatient driver that's not going to signal and turn in front of you, whether they see you or not.

I instinctively move from away from the center line as a vehicle approaches, or I am approaching the top of a hill.

The most dangerous oncoming vehicle is the one behind the first oncoming car, as they may be waiting to pass. They can't see you and you can't see them unless you move over.

I stay closer to the center line if there is no oncoming traffic. I want the car behind me to pass me like they would a car, not half in my lane.
Nortoon this is intense wisdom! These are some very fine but crucial points about the craft of riding safely, obviously honed over years of experience and attentiveness. I learned a lot from this post and it is going into my safe riding archive.
One thing I would add to the discussion, related to the left turner (US/Euro road rules) who doesn't see you: sometimes the optimal evasive action is to brake and swerve left, passing behind the vehicle as it violates your right-of-way. The problem, of course, is if they see you too late and slam on the brakes, stopping in the path of your attempted evasive maneuver. Time + distance + position + path = collision.

Good video of an evasion in this situation. Don't watch or turn down the sound if you are offended by intense profanity in English. This moto vlogger is from Portugal and is rather entertaining most of the time. However on this occasion he got a wake-up call that can serve as an example to us all.


I love Cager on Two Wheels' videos because he gives an honest opinion of the borrowed motorcycle's good and bad characteristics. In the video he did the right thing by aiming for the rear of the car in the left turn. But like most of us caught suddenly in an emergency situation he did lock-up the brakes TWICE.

I also don't think it is a good idea to ride up beside the driver's window, especially if you are angry. In a bike versus car battle there can only be one loser.

Cager is enthusiastic about motorcycling. But I as I remember he is fairly new to the sport and rides a smaller motorcycle. In his latest videos on larger motorcycles he gets excited almost giddy about their power and tends to ride too quickly. It takes a few incidents like that to remind us that you have to respect the power of any machine especially on an unfamiliar bike in urban traffic.

Having been lent a Yamaha FZ-09 by my dealer for the day, I spent the first hour or so slowly getting use to the machine. It has more than twice the power of the CB500X I currently ride. But as the day wore on I became more enthusiastic riding on one of my favourite twisty roads. Then it happened. I doe bolted out of the bush right in front of me. Fortunately the FZ-09 had good brakes and the road only allowed me to use half of the bike's potential power. If we live, we learn.
 
Nortoon you are a shrewd rider. I can learn a lot from your musings. I think power in motorcycles is mostly overrated as a component of the fun factor. Pragmatically speaking, power should not be the main element of motorcycle fun but a conservator of safety margin. I was intrigued by a declaration in your earlier post "I also slow down or speed up to use oncoming traffic as blockers when approaching vehicles on a side road to the left." That strategy never occurred to me. Having a bit of juice on tap could help a lot in the 'speed up' moments.
 
I just took another motorcycle class. They strongly emphasized changing lane positioning "to be seen" (and approach to traffic, curves, obstacles). In other words, always position yourself where you can best be seen (whenever possible).

The swerve was also heavily empasized, again and again. Knowing how to countersteer and practice, practice, practice.
 
Good point Nightengale. I wear hi-viz and always seek lane position to increase the chances of being seen...never want to inadvertently or intentionally be hidden from other vehicles. That being said, it's not enough to be visible, as many drivers will still not see you.

That's why I find Nortoon's tactics so powerful. He's the ultimate defensive rider...he does everything he can with brakes, throttle, and steering to ensure that he minimizes the capability of other traffic to intersect with him in time and place. I've read a lot of safe riding books and watched a lot of safe riding videos and I have never come across anything like what Nortoon has expressed here.

One thing I'd like to offer is a comment on whether or not to move in your lane away from a threat that is A) a potential oncoming left turner (US/Euro rules) or B) entering from the left or right. I have started a new practice of "riding right at them" as soon as I see them, in order to make sure that they can pick up my daylight high beam. Then as I get closer, I perform the swerve maneuver away from them to make myself move laterally relative to their perspective to increase the likelihood that they will discern my movement, as well as increase physical separation.
 
Back
Top