Why aren't we fighting?

Roper_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The Coronavirus responses and the ongoing election foolishness seems to have turned just about everyone into irritable antisocial idiots. People hate anyone who doesn't agree with their own way of thinking. I see it at work and in the grocery store. I see it in my neighborhood and at church. I especially see it among my friends and loved ones on social media.

But not here. I find myself coming to this forum more often just to get away from the drama and to talk with other people who are decent to each other, though we come from all over the world and undoubtedly have different political convictions. Is it our beloved CB11--a motorcycle with the power and grace to unite us all? Is it our age--we've lived long enough to understand that this too shall pass? Is it our illustrious forum moderators?

What do you think?
 
we come here to get away from all that

and I like what Mr P said.
 
Like Bike, Like Rider. The CB1100 is a gentle, forgiving, friendly beast and attracts gentle people. Simple as that.
 
GoldOxide, I've taken the liberty of editing one of your posts and deleting the other. As you know, we keep things free of politics around here. While you might have felt your comments to be innocent enough, now more than ever I'd rather not see anyone here go poking the bear.

Let's be honest, there would be plenty of fighting going on if we were to widely open up the conversation to topics other than motorcycles/motorcycling. Especially as of late with everything going on here in this country and elsewhere in the world. The fact is, we don't all think alike or share the same opinions, especially when it comes to headline-level topics. Nor do we all share the same sense of humor for that matter and none of us are able to see each other's body language to help discern what's a joke and what's not. To make things even more complicated, a number of people who participate on the forum don't speak English as their primary language (yet they still do an amazing job of communicating here).

Let's face it, it's a small miracle that this place exists at harmoniously as it does. Some of that can be chalked up to the fact that the common bond we all share provides us with something to talk about that we are all passionate about. Most of us are passionate about a number of things, but when it comes to the CB1100 or motorcycles in general our passions are in alignment and that makes a world of difference. Some of it can be chalked up to the fact that we tend to have an older, more mature group of members here when compared to so many other places on the web. Some of it can be chalked up to the tone that was set here on the forum from the very beginning that took hold and people have been running with it ever since. Those who grow bored with this model don't tend to stick around for very long.

Finally, let me be clear. Regardless of the how or why, I'm simply grateful that so many here try so hard to keep this forum the welcoming, civil place that it is. A place where we can all come to get away from all of "the other stuff" that everyone else is fighting over elsewhere on the web and the world at large.

Sincerely, thank you all.
 
Amen Guth...I’ve been a member here for over 7 years and still amazed at the civility of this group, especially with everything that’s happening in the world. Kudos to everyone that helps keep it that way.
 
I sold my CB1100 almost 3 years ago and still visit this forum every day. It is probably because of the mentality of the people who love this bike and would rather talk about riding and such rather than the problems of the world. A very adult and friendly place to be.
 
lash_imp said:
I sold my CB1100 almost 3 years ago and still visit this forum every day. It is probably because of the mentality of the people who love this bike and would rather talk about riding and such rather than the problems of the world. A very adult and friendly place to be.
(+1) Lash, and you provide exciting CB750s to gawk at. Who doesn't like that?
 
Very well said Guth. I also think the maturity/age of the group here is also a factor in keeping things civil and helpful, and I'm grateful for that.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beerchug: to all the members for being gentlemen.
 
January 20, 2021 can’t get here soon enough. This forum serves as an escape into a more pleasant and appealing atmosphere with worldwide member support.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
mtneers_imp said:
January 20, 2021 can’t get here soon enough. This forum serves as an escape into a more pleasant and appealing atmosphere with worldwide member support.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can lean on us. Wait, you've done that already.

We're here to help, especially when the border opens up again. Hopefully, and to be honest, expectedly things should nicely resolve.

But options remain. Submissions for Canadian status by resident 'mericans in the Toronto region have spiked 50%. I doubt any of them ride CB1100s.

But for those who ride, and in particular the CB1100, get on with it as you do!



In late summer I waved to our 'merican neighbours from across the river at Buffalo, NY ...

 
Thread starter
During this time of thanksgiving, I want to thank Guth and all the original and early members for making this forum a truly amazing community. It's incredible to see how people who have met here have become good friends in real life. I hope this forum stays until the wheels fall off our bikes (or wheelchairs, whichever comes last.)
 
Roper_imp said:
During this time of thanksgiving, I want to thank Guth and all the original and early members for making this forum a truly amazing community. It's incredible to see how people who have met here have become good friends in real life. I hope this forum stays until the wheels fall off our bikes (or wheelchairs, whichever comes last.)
Great comment Roper :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Add me to the list of guys who really appreciate that this forum remains an oasis of sanity. Thank you for keeping it that way for all of us.

As Willy Wonka once said, "So shines a good deed in a weary world."
 
Back
Top