Why a 60 minute cap on post editing?

Gumby 1100_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, why is there a 60 minute cap on post edits by the OP? Is this a common practice on other forums?

If something is considered offensive or blatantly in error, it will likely be quoted by someone else in the body of their post and beyond the reach of the OP to edit anyway. There is no point for the OP to then retroactively edit a text and pretend he didn't write what is already "out there". The feature to delete a post is supposedly still an option, but this has never worked for me.

There has been more than one post written in haste or late at night that I have wanted to revise later. Not necessarily to "hide evidence", but simply to rephrase something or correct a mistake. The 60 minute cap makes this impossible.

Maybe a 12 to 24 hour "cooling off" period might be more appropriate....just a thought. What say the forum moderators?

Did anyone notice I just made an edit?...had to be quick about it though!
 
A couple members had a hissy fit and deleted ALL their posts, taking good info with them. To stop that, the management implemented the 60 minute rule.

Obviously I'm not management so I can't comment on making it longer except to say it would be nice. In my case, to correct spelling arrows :)
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
A couple members had a hissy fit and deleted ALL their posts, taking good info with them. To stop that, the management implemented the 60 minute rule.

Obviously I'm not management so I can't comment on making it longer except to say it would be nice. In my case, to correct spelling arrows :)
Thanks, I thought it might have something to do with that issue. But I thought that those guys deleted their posts days or weeks after their kerfuffle. A more lenient grace period for editing might prevent that kind of misunderstanding in the future.

Note regarding Editing: When in the act of editing this post I still saw the option to delete this post. I tried it...didn't work,...apparently I don't have the authority to delete my own post, even within 60 minutes. Is this option just an artifact of a former feature that is now defunct?
 
Gumby, I don't know. You would have to ask Ferret, Cormanus, or Guth.
 
I think it's kinda silly. But I also don't really care either way.

I do think it would be convenient to eliminate, because than I could update Multiple sales listings at the top of the list. Verse having to re-post in my own thread to update what's left over..
 
I thought the 60 min rule was to make people think more clearly about what they wanted to say before posting in order to minimize incoherent info. But then again I’m new and not sure.
 
Thread starter
Guaza14_imp said:
I thought the 60 min rule was to make people think more clearly about what they wanted to say before posting in order to minimize incoherent info. But then again I’m new and not sure.
Well, if that is the case, then I don't think it is working 100% as intended ;)
..."but then again, I'm old(er) and not sure".

(Please note the winking smiley this time people,...it's partly the reason I started this post.)
 
This forum works so well because of the way it is, and what is normally an absence of drama. Don't assume that your emoticons will be noticed because many people ignore them completely.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
CBryder_imp said:
This forum works so well because of the way it is, and what is normally an absence of drama. Don't assume that your emoticons will be noticed because many people ignore them completely.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
:( (Sad/Disappointed for the Emoticon Impaired)
 
:rofl: or lol
 
No popgun, :rofl: is Roll On the Floor Laughing—nearer to LMAO than merely LOL.

The 60 minute time limit and the permission to delete your own post is a matter entirely for Guth. I recall I could not delete my own posts before I became a moderator.

If there's anything you really wanted changed in a post and couldn't because of the time limit, I'm sure Ferret or I would oblige.
 
Guaza14_imp said:
I thought the 60 min rule was to make people think more clearly about what they wanted to say before posting in order to minimize incoherent info. But then again I’m new and not sure.
We have a winner...

(At least to a degree.)

In one of those "you can't please all of the people" moments, it was decided to shorten up the time someone could edit their posts to what we have now. Hopefully this encourages folks to think about what they post before they do post. As I've said many times in the past, the person that I've had to moderate the most is myself — I just do so before I actually post up my thoughts on something. By this measure, I've "bitten my tongue" often enough to not have a tongue left.

When all is said and done it's only an online forum and the world certainly doesn't revolve around this place. But if folks think about what they are going to say and how they are going to say it before doing so we tend to have less drama overall to deal with.
 
Back
Top