Who rides the CB 1100?

Inhouse Bob

Road warrior
Thread starter
We had a KLR tech day/cookout/swim party yesterday and it got me thinking. I did a quick search and didn't see this discussed before.

I find it interesting how different bikes attract different kinds of folks. Speaking from my limited observations and in really broad generalizations, it seems that doctors and dentists ride BMWs, lawyers and car mechanics ride Harleys, Aircraft mechanics, engineers, retired cops and retired military ride KLRs. All good people, all having fun. So what's the thread that ties CB1100 riders? Maybe we mostly rode in the '70s on bikes that look like the CB? Pilots seem to like them, though maybe pilots just like this forum :excited: A thread polling careers would be interesting.

Anyone want to post up with their career/hobbies beyond the CB? I'll start...

I am 58, run a t-shirt company and rode a CB400f in the '70s.
 
I'm a 60 yr old Airline Pilot/sim instructor and have the KLR, old cb750's and the CB1100. Love them all for their own reasons. Don't plan on selling any of them. Just ride whatever mood I;m in.
 
I'm 53, work at a distribution center for a national hardware chain. In the late 70's and early 80's I had a CB 550(wish I still had it), and didn't have a street bike till early this year. wasn't really in the market for a bike but when I saw the CB11 I decided I'm gonna stop at nothing to get one:thumbsup:
 
54 year old insurance agent chose Honda for its reputation for quality. Chose the CB1100 because it is a modern interpretation of what I always thought a motorcycle should be. Never rode a bike until a few years back, but I wanted a KZ500 when I was a kid.
 
We're mature livelong riders who remember when the UJB was the most popular type of motorcycle in the market.

We're neither very rich nor hardscrabble poor. We're middle-class, on the upper side of Blue-Collar or White Collar. If you read this site, the cycle discussions and other topics, you'll see we're an introspective, informed group. We ride because we love the open road, the freedom - and it's reflected in our other views as well.

Me? Locomotive engineer. Hobbies included, in the past, editorial blogging. Today I do a little photography; read a lot. Beyond that I don't have time for much else.

Eyes on retirement - hoping to pull it off in four years.
 
Retired CPA, sold the BMW when purchasing the CB. The adventure bike craze made the transition profitable. Also have a sidecar rig, ride most everyday for the fun of it.
Besides motorcycling hobbies are brewing beer, making wine, scuba diving, target shooting.
 
Interesting thread. I'm a 52 year old returning rider. Rode UJMs in the 80s came back on a VFR in 2009 which was traded on the CB in 2014. My career has been in accounting and finance, so I prolly fit the Harley demographic more closely but age and riding history are probably the more consistent factors.
 
I'm a 33 year old subrogation claims rep. My dad fits the demographic profile of most members here having grown up on Hondas in the 60s and 70s, eventually becoming a mechanic and service manager at a Honda dealer before he quit the same year I was born. After getting another job, he'd do side work on Japanese bikes, so I grew up around them.

My first Honda was an ATC70. Next I got a 77 XR75 and then a 78 XL175 which is parked next to my CB. I rode dual sports for a while switching brands with an 89 Kawasaki KLR250 and then a 1991 KLR650. Rode a 2005 FJR1300 a couple years and then trades for a 2006 Suzuki V-strom 650 that I had for 5 years.

Last year, I thought I'd take a break from riding which lasted all of 3 months when the CB found my garage home. Tried out a Kawasaki KLX250SF supermoto for a couple months, but sold it when I bought another V-strom 650 (2013).

I seem to like adventure touring bikes and dual sports. If I didn't have the combo of the CB and the V-strom, I'd have a sport touring bike and a dual sport.
 
Undecider, forgive my ignorance, but what is a subrogation claims rep?
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Undecider, forgive my ignorance, but what is a subrogation claims rep?
Subrogation is the process where an insurance company, through the payment of an insurance claim, gains the right to recover from the party responsible for creating damages for which the claim covered.

The most common example is with automobile claims. Say someone else is at fault for causing an accident, but you had to file a claim under your own policy to fix your collision damage. Your insurer will pursue the at - fault driver to recover what was paid under the claim and usually your deductible.

I handle property claims which involve all sorts of claims from product liability (defective products causing fires or water damage), construction defects, and vehicle collisions.
 
I'm a retired Marine Clerk/Longshore Mechanic from the Ports of Los Angeles/Long Beach. I am 63. In 1968 I bought a new CZ250 and started racing CMC motocross at Saddleback Park, Carlsbad, Indian Dunes, and Ascot Park. I also bought a new 1969 Yamaha AT 125 enduro to ride to high school. So when the 69 CB 750 came out all I could do is admire it from afar. My current bikes are 2007 CR250R, 2000 Aprilia RS250, 98 ATK 605ES, 84 RZ 350, 2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2 ZRX1100s, 2009 Road King Classic, 2012 H-D XR1200X, and the 2014 CB1100 Deluxe. The only type of bike I've never had an interest in is a trials bike.
 
67 year old Retired AT&T carrier tech. Started riding in my late teens when a high school buddy let me ride his BSA 441. Was hooked from that day on. Also enjoy photography, reading, woodworking, hunting, fishing and bird watching. I chose the CB because it looks like a motorcycle should look and fits my style of riding perfectly and it's a Honda.
 
I'm a 30 year old auto mechanic been riding standards and cruisers for several years alway enjoyed the timeless style of the old and new cb's also own a 78 kz650 and so happy to own a retro styled yet modern bike!
 
Just the other night I was talking to my wife about this forum and how much I enjoy the fact that we are all united by our love of this motorcycle and of motorcycling in general, without regard to what type of work we do. I find it interesting to learn what others here do for a living or what their pre-retirement careers were. So much of our time is spent at work that it naturally comes to define a large part of who we are. If we were to meet in person, conversation would most likely eventually turn to work and family. Still, I enjoy the connection with all of you and this motorcycle and unless volunteered, I'm happy not knowing or caring about your work.

I suspect we have a wide range of occupations among us. Some have openly shared the nature of their work (which, like I mentioned, I actually do find interesting). Others have kept that part of their life private. I'm still debating whether to share the nature of my work. I don't want to be thought of as the _____ motorcyclist and am happy just being a motorcyclist for now.
 
I'm a 52 Year old automotive engineer, no longer on the tools but still in the industry at a vehicle distributor providing assistance to the dealer network. The CB1100 was my 50th birthday pressy and second bike counting the VTR250 my son and I shared and passed our motorcycle licences on so I've only been riding 5 years or so. When looking for a bigger bike I got tired of looking at loads of plastic and no chrome! The CB1100 caught my eye and that was the end of that decision making process! Also old school technology - air cooled and no CANBUS systems but the reliability of fuel injection AND Honda...Interesting the only reason the CB's came to NZ was because they were not selling well in Aussie, and NZ was the closest place to help eliminate the stock. The other reason for buying - I did not want to spend my weekends working on a bike - just riding it! Took it in for its 12K service today..
 
Retired 77 year-old former federal government worker who came back to bikes upon retirement at age 55.
It's hard to believe sometimes how quickly those 22 years have passed - but what fun-filled years they have been!
 
59 year old retailer... who bought my CB because I 'just had to have a 4 cylinder inline UJM that was as close to the orig 750 Four as I could get'. I bought a KLR because I wanted to ride the TransAm trail and go dirt riding again (insert snide remarks here... ). And I have my Harley because when I got back to riding in 2003, I just HAD to have a Harley.
 
I was a sheet metal shop welder TIG/MIG for 18 years and am now a production engineer of 2 years. Instead of making stuff out of metal in the physical form I make stuff on a computer and build instructions on how to make various sheet metal assemblies and parts. Been a good career, especially since I love to make things. I chose the CB because I know Honda makes a good bike, and I just loved the look of the bike. I have a 2014 std black. I grew up with my dad and uncles riding the older bikes and that's probably why I love the style.
 
Back
Top