Who is happy with their gps?

max

Road warrior
Thread starter
In search of more adventures i am thinking of acquiring a gps of some sort.
But from what i can see ( or rather not see ) the screens are difficult to read in direct sunlight, i had a sony video camera that had a transflective screen that had no problem in direct sunlight, the colors were a bit different but the screen was perfectly usable, and so far i have not seen any video's that show a clear enough screen with good contrast that would be good to use.

The visibility was not very good with my current gps when used in direct sunlight either but that is a 10 year old machine and works ok in the car, it worked in the shade but it would be nice if technology had improved to the point that it was sufficient in sunlight.

Most video's show a washed out screen and some appear to have a video overlay that appears to show a photoshopped screen for a very short time in the hope that nobody notices the trick before buying one.

And of course i know that paper maps need no batteries and are very readable in a sunny day, the thing is taking the map out and putting on reading glasses on a lot of intersections is not a very practical approach or much fun if you don't have a tank bag and safety becomes questionable as well.

So after all that i wonder; are there any success stories out there that are worth considering?
 
I reckon as some Forum members have mentioned is feed voice-prompted direction to a Bluetooth ear piece in the helmet.

This would take the eyes off the GPS/smartphone application most of the time and leave more time to focus on the road.
 
I use the IPhone map option. Phone is in RAM Mount and it has dedicated power to the phone if needed. More than happy with it for my needs. But, dependent on cell coverage vs Satellites which is more reliable. iPhone 6 has a large viewing screen which is nice compared to my old Garmin GPS. Mapping app has a user friendly interface
 
I don’t have a gps yet, but was considering the Beeline Moto which looks like an interesting concept. It works by communicating through bluetooth with the Beeline app on your smart phone. You use Google maps to pre plan your route. They sold out the current production run in about a day. Next batch is due around November. I’d be interested to hear how any current owners find the product.
 
I like my TomTom Rider 400 but I hate the website, route import/export/management functionality, and support in the US. My next bike GPS would be a Garmin Nuvi.
 
I have a BMW Navigator V (basically an exclusive Garmin GPS) on my RT, but I never use it. I'm just not a GPS guy. I can listen to it via my helmet Bluetooth system but I don't need it to know where I'm going. The bothersome thing about this unit is that it can be easily unlatched and stolen off the bike, so I usually just leave it at home.
 
I’m very happy using Google Maps or Sygic on my phone and getting instructions via Bluetooth. In my view, Google Maps is by far the best GPS navigator for urban areas.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I’m very happy using Google Maps or Sygic on my phone and getting instructions via Bluetooth. In my view, Google Maps is by far the best GPS navigator for urban areas.
(+1) In addition, the app "Navmii" as a good backup in situations when the network is unavailable anywhere in the world. Was useful in Indiana when the connection fell out several times, but Navmii kept things true.
 
Google now offers the option of downloading maps for offline use. Once I’m sure it works well, it is likely to displace other options. It’s only failing is the inability to program a route with waypoints. You have to restart it every time you pass one.
 
Google Maps download option has been around from some years, however, recently it has become more reliable. Nevertheless, I will wait a bit longer before using Google Maps offline exclusively.

When connected, it is unbeatable, especially in regards to near real-time traffic status and emergency or alternative re-routing.
 
To use your phone for any sustained period, you have to be able to plug it in to a power source. I'm also beginning to wonder whether having it clamped to handlebars in the sun all day is bad for the longevity of the battery.
 
Anything "GPS" eats energy. My olde dedicated GPSs got pretty hot too.

I reckon top shelf batteries are engineered to tolerate the load, but they cost significantly more than run-of-the-mill Chinese sourced batteries. In any case, that is what I am experiencing - at both ends of good and poor.
 
Long time Sygic user here, I paid the the app once some years ago and I get lifetime support with no further fees. I have ridden across Europe twice with it (once offline only, once with a 1gb data simcard which is more than enough, cost me like £5) and it really works for me.

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Xcover4 rugged phone (cost like £70) for that use only and as it has a replacable battery I did get another 3 set of those, so I didnt need to worry on the road about getting out of juice..

I was looking at the Tomtom rider before, but just couldnt justify the pricetag.

Happy with the Sygic, takes me where I want to go and imo the navigation layout is way better than anything else Ive used before (and I used more then a few)
 
Stichill_imp said:
I’ve said for years it would be cool if Google would make dedicated GPS hardware.
Microsoft once optionally packaged a USB-based GPS module with their "Streets & Trips" software. Pre-Google Maps era - worked well, but required a PC. I wonder if MS broke even on that module product?
 
Ran a Garmin 276C for many years, and a couple years ago upgraded to its successor the 276Cx without regrets. Very pricey ($600ish) and doesn't navigate all that well. But the Garmin is reliable, built to last, big clear screen, and great if you like to look at a MAP (vs a simulated 3D view of the road ahead). Has BUTTONS (not a touchscreen), thus easy to use with gloves on. Can be hard-wired into the bike's electrical system. Never overheats. Always works. Sort of the modern-day version of a paper map taped to your gas tank.

I tried using smartphones and although far cheaper they just didn't work as well in my hands... too fiddly and touchscreen+ gloves wasn't a good combo.
 
Do any of these GPS/smartphone map options allow you to develop your own route to a destination and then save it for navigation to said destination? I want to be able to “drag and drop” each road I take, not just choose from a few pre selected routes calculated for me. Any advice there? Thanks.
 
riggies_imp said:
Do any of these GPS/smartphone map options allow you to develop your own route to a destination and then save it for navigation to said destination? I want to be able to “drag and drop” each road I take, not just choose from a few pre selected routes calculated for me. Any advice there? Thanks.
I have the TomTom Rider and I can use the PC or phone app to plot a route (dragging pins to customise) and then sync it to the Rider
 
I use Scenic on my iPhone. https://www.motomappers.com/ I can create routes in the app or on Google on my PC. I can import the latter to my app via a web app they provide. I can download maps for offline use and there is a small charge for extra maps. The app also tracks my route whether I have set one up or am just wandering around. I use a Ram X mount to hold my phone and the only time it failed was due to user error. On hot sunny days, the iPhone screen is not the easiest to read, especially when it's in the waterproof case I have, but I haven't missed a turn due to the screen being dim--I have missed them due to the user being dim. It has the availability of audio turn-by-turn, but I don't have that hooked up yet.

There is a slight earning curve to using the app to its fullest, but not too bad. I've been using it regularly for at least 2 years and have been very pleased with it.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I use Scenic on my iPhone. https://www.motomappers.com/ I can create routes in the app or on Google on my PC. I can import the latter to my app via a web app they provide. I can download maps for offline use and there is a small charge for extra maps. The app also tracks my route whether I have set one up or am just wandering around. I use a Ram X mount to hold my phone and the only time it failed was due to user error. On hot sunny days, the iPhone screen is not the easiest to read, especially when it's in the waterproof case I have, but I haven't missed a turn due to the screen being dim--I have missed them due to the user being dim. It has the availability of audio turn-by-turn, but I don't have that hooked up yet.

There is a slight earning curve to using the app to its fullest, but not too bad. I've been using it regularly for at least 2 years and have been very pleased with it.
lol - "user being dim" - understood. I once fell asleep ... never happened since then.
 
Back
Top