Who has adjusted their chain?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
At 2,100 miles my chain is finally due for its first adjustment exhibiting slightly more than the 1 1/4" max specified.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had to adjust theirs yet and at what approximate mileage?
 
I had to do mine at about 1,000 miles. I'm hoping the next adjustment takes place a lot more miles than the 1st one. The last Honda chain bike I had went several thousand miles; like over 5k. But my guess is that others will be telling you that they had to adjust their chain early too.
 
The ferret_imp said:
At 2,100 miles my chain is finally due for its first adjustment exhibiting slightly more than the 1 1/4" max specified.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had to adjust theirs yet and at what approximate mileage?
I was wondering the same thing, mine was just slightly more than 1 1/4 as well at around 2,200.

I never noticed there aren't any locking nuts either.
 
The axle nuts lock it down. I adjusted mine today on my second oil change as it was out of spec. But I have over 4200 miles on it in just under 2 months sooo.... :D
 
Thread starter
Randy was that your first adjustment?
 
That begs the question; how often do you apply lube to the chain? I'd wander into the "favorite chain lube" area but that might be too much. :)
 
Rboe_imp said:
That begs the question; how often do you apply lube to the chain? I'd wander into the "favorite chain lube" area but that might be too much. :)
500 miles is what I am doing on a hot chain, coating the surfaces that contact the sprockets with overspray on the sides. Don't get it on the rear brakes.

Be careful with the chain adjustment. The book says 1 to 1.4 in. I, at first, took that to read 1-1/4", 1.400" is a little over 1-3/8" (1.375). Thus my chain is in tolerance for now..
 
Thread starter
My adjustment only required 1/4 turn on each adjuster to bring it back to spec
 
In theory, the lube is sealed in the rollers so lube on the sprockets will do more good than trying to get lube past the o-rings. I could be all wrong, but that is how I see it.
 
Rboe_imp said:
In theory, the lube is sealed in the rollers so lube on the sprockets will do more good than trying to get lube past the o-rings. I could be all wrong, but that is how I see it.
Correct. There is lubricant inside the bushings. The O rings seal the bushings. The lube applied to the outside protects the O rings from dirt and grit and also protects the metal parts from rusting.
 
Rboe_imp said:
In theory, the lube is sealed in the rollers so lube on the sprockets will do more good than trying to get lube past the o-rings. I could be all wrong, but that is how I see it.
the factory lube is between the solid pins and the hollow pins.... This is sealed in by the o rings. There is also factory lube between the rollers and the outside of the hollow pins....this is not sealed in by anything and needs relube when you lube the chain. Also the side plates to prevent rust. Harsh solvents like brake cleaner wash lube out from under the rollers where it is hard to get lube back in because side play of the roller is small....and washes lube off the orings and can wash lube out from between the o ring and side plates which is almost impossible to get lube back in between there cause the rings flatten out....then the orings wear against the side plates. So lube the side plates for rust, the area between where the orings are, the rollers and at the edges of the rollers so that some of it can get somewhat under the rollers.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

My chain needed adjusting at my 1st oil change, 638 miles.

Chip
Ditto. Mine was wildly out-of-spec at that time. Feel like an idiot for not having checked it new. I'm assuming most of the slack was due to initial break-in stretch.
 
AzBob_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

My chain needed adjusting at my 1st oil change, 638 miles.

Chip
Ditto. Mine was wildly out-of-spec at that time. Feel like an idiot for not having checked it new. I'm assuming most of the slack was due to initial break-in stretch.
Ditto. Mine was wildly out-of-spec at that time. Feel like an idiot for not having checked it new. I'm assuming most of the slack was due to initial break-in stretch.
Needed to adjust my chain as well on my first oil change (679 miles). Was over 1.5 inches and I never accelerated hard or took it over 4K.
 
Thread starter
Getting close to 5000 miles before the surgery. Was just adjusted for the second time.
 
Like Chip, mine needed adjustment at the 600 mile mark. Was actually 580 miles.

And edit to add: A little bit on the adjusters goes a long way.
 
Back
Top